Will this set up play nice together? Newbie to Klipsch

marcanol

Hi Everyone!!!

I am excited to get my first Klipsch setup. I will mostly use it for music and video games. We don't watch much tv, but when we do, we watch it loud!

I got a really good deal on the below and want to know if the receiver I chose will play nice with the speakers.

My fear is that the in-wall speakers can't handle the power from the amp. This might be wrong, I am new to this, but am guessing this as the speakers say 50Watts RMS and the Denon site has the receiver at 75 Watts for 2 channels at 8 ohms. All these numbers are confusing and I don't want to blow my speakers or amp. 

Any suggestions?

Receiver: Denon AVRS750H

Center:  Klipsch RP504C 

Rears:  Klipsch in-ceiling CDT-5800C II

Sub: Klipsch R-120SW

Is this a decent setup? What should I change, if anything. I was also looking at the Onkyo TX-NR686.

Edited by marcanol
  • Like 1

Hi! Welcome to the forum

Yes, your denon will work fine with your klipsch speakers, so no need to worry there. Its one of the most popular HT brand matchups in my opinion. If you're worried about the power specs, dont be. Power specs on receivers are bogus anyway, and "RMS" basically means "on average". The speaker might be rated to 50W RMS, but it does fluctuate up and down. In short, speakers are quite durable and won't get blown by any receiver on the market. The Onkyo TX-NR686 is a great "bang for buck" avr. I myself have owned and loved it. When playing music, be sure to enable "pure direct" and you'll be golden. Should you transfer to the onkyo, do buy from a place that offers 100% money back guarantee. Onkyo are too known for their shabby hdmi ports and I wouldn't want you to waste your money. This stuff, as you probably know, can get expensive in the long run. 

If this is a decent setup or not can be discussed. I think you have partial components for a decent setup but as it stands now, it doesn't really make sense. To be blunt with you, your current system as you've set it up is kinda weird for the lack of a better term. When building a HT setup, you have your "ear-level" speakers and your "overhead-speakers"(atmos).

Ear-level speakers are your left and right fronts, your center, your left and right side surrounds, and your left and right back surrounds. Further on you can add what is known as front wides but thats not important right now. You can of course pick and choose which of these different speakers you want to add into your system. Not all of these are necessary. However, I must say, some of these are mandatory if you want a full fletched HT setup.

Smallest setup you can have in an HT setup is a 3.0.0. The "3" is the number of ear-level speakers, the middle "0" is the number of subs you have. Subs aren't mandatory but HIGHLY recommended. The last "0" is how many overhead(atmos) speakers you have.

When we have a 3.0.0 setup, we are talking about the left front, the center and the right front. These, as i've said, are obligatory.

One step up from the 3.0 setup, would be the 5.0.0 setup. This is basically the 3.0 setup with the addition of the left and right surrounds. Now, one step up from here, many will say would be the 5.1.2. Its common that once you've acquired the 5 basic speakers that constitutes a surrounds setup, you then start to go for overhead(atmos) speakers.  

Further on from here, you have your 7.2.4. Here we add two back surrounds, another sub and two more overhead(atmos) speakers. 

I realize this might me a little tricky to get, and thats why i'm adding a list of what speakers you might want to acquire in order:

1. center
  2. fronts left and right
  3. first sub* 
  4. surrounds left and right
  5. Overhead(atmos) speakers left and right
  6.  Surround backs left and right
  7. second sub*
  8. two more overhead(atmos) speakers

*Note that you can have multiple subs in your system at once, the limit is by no means 2 subs. 

**Also note that upgrading your receiver as you go is important should you want to incorporate all these speakers in your system.

*** In addition to all this, there isn't a set thing that if you have 5 ear-level speakers, you have to only have one sub and two overhead, in other worlds a 5.1.2 setup. Setups configuration like 3.1, 5.1.2, 7.2.4 are just the most common ones you'll see. You can by all means go for 5.4.2, 7.1.4, 3.2 and so on. Just remember that as stated further up, some of the speakers are necessary to start with in the beginning. 

Now then! What I would do if I were in your current situation: Upgrade your setup to a 5.1.2

• Good on you that you already have a center, sub and avr. 
  • Following this up, I'd get the fronts. Either get the RP-8000F or the RP-6000F to match your center. This will depend on your room size. Might even be that you should go as far down as getting the RP-600M bookshelf speaker. Since you have the RP-504C, Im guessing you've got the space for either of the two floorstanders I first mentioned. 
  • Then, I'd get the surrounds. Either the RP-502S or the RP-600M. If you search these two up, you'll see they have different looks. The one being conventional and the other bipole. (or dipole... cant really remember).  
  • In the end, I'd take your current in ceilings you have as your rears and mount them in your ceiling as overhead speakers. Just so you know, a 5.1.2 setup is the maximum amount of speakers your avr can handle. If you want more speakers, you'll have to upgrade.

Now that you hopefully have a clearer idea of how you want to move forwards with your setup, there are still more to talk about. A few from the top of my head would be what kind of cables to get, if your speakers need spikes, if your side surrounds are to be mounted or placed on stands, where and how to position your speakers, where you position your seating area in correlation to your speakers, if you need sound treatment for your room or not, how you setup your avr and sub, bass management and sooooooo ooooooon....

As you see, there is a lot to think about, but also a lot that isn't necessary. It all depends on how invested you are and how much enjoyment you expect to have off of your system. If you want to get the maximum out of your system, I suggest you educate yourself as to what i've just spent the last 15 minutes writing. 

Good luck to you! and if you have more questions, just ask. I can promise you'll always get good and informative answers here, but if I answer, I cant always promise the answer will be short and sweet.

• Thanks 1