The Annual What Are You Having For Thanksgiving Thread

WillyBob

5 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

asked my brother if he was going home to california for the holidays and he said no.  So, unless he changes his mind, he’ll probably cook a turkey.  He’s a very good cook.

if he changes his mind and travels ... i’ll go to whatever fast food place is open or go to my standby -- frozen burrito and can of chili.  Or I’ll go to WillyBob’s ... that menu looks good.

I'm just waiting for the best spread...

That's nearby.... I might crash some forum members... T-day...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I'm harvesting my 5 turkeys the Sunday before holiday.

Make that 4. Nearly lost another one tonight due to sudden drop in temps with a cold front, so I quickly harvested it in the dark before it died on its own. Will be simmering the carcass through the night for soup.

1 minute ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Make that 4. Nearly lost another one tonight due to sudden drop in temps with a cold front, so I quickly harvested it in the dark before it died on its own. Will be simmering the carcass through the night for soup.

sorry to hear the weather isn’t cooperating with your plans. 

8 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Son driving in from school has requested ham so I will smoke enough for him to freeze and carry back. We have no use for cranberries. 

Wait a few years. You might start to get a nightly reminder that a few glasses of the juice should help alleviate. 

As to the sauce: I agree; it should be loving made, carefully cooled and then quickly thrown in the trash with any cucumbers.

Wb

• Haha 2

I wonder who decided cranberries are edible. 

can't eat them w/o a lot of help from sweeteners 1:1

I don't mind the canned sauce. Once a year is OK. Wife likes it.

I have a cranberry salad recipe that is good.  Not good enough for me to eat the whole thing.

• Like 1

I'll probably do what I've done for the last 61 years. Go to moms and eat one of her thanksgiving masterpieces.

turkey

spiral cut ham

corn bread dressing with and without onions

mashed potatos and gravy

collards(my fav)

sweet potato casserole

brussel sprouts

homemade biscuits

green beans w/side meat season

apple pie

cherry pie

chocolate cake

strawberry cheesecake

Time to break out the stretch jeans

D

• Like 3

13 hours ago, babadono said:

Plans are not solid yet but for sure I will roast a turkey on the big green egg(Kamado) no matter what. If we have visitors we'll go the whole nine yards. If its just the two of us we'll tone it down considerably.

Of freaking course. What would pumpkin pie and Thanksgiving be without freshly home made whipped cream.

I've already made fresh cranberry sauce once this season, several more batches to go I'm sure.

Wash it all down with a Pumpkinator and prepare for a nap.

1 hour ago, Bigdnfay1 said:

I'll probably do what I've done for the last 61 years. Go to moms and eat one of her thanksgiving masterpieces.

turkey

spiral cut ham

corn bread dressing with and without onions

mashed potatos and gravy

collards(my fav)

sweet potato casserole

brussel sprouts

homemade biscuits

green beans w/side meat season

apple pie

cherry pie

chocolate cake

strawberry cheesecake

Time to break out the stretch jeans

D

61 years? I hope you realize how lucky you are? :emotion-21:

Don't forget to help  do the dishes afterward.

Wb

15 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

The domestic turkey's up north have to survive to almost Christmas (that can mean some minus 40 nights with windchill). All they need is a place to shelter and any frozen water replaced with liquid water every day. Are they that sensitive to cold in the south or was it just one bird?

Wb

We will end up at my brother and sister in laws but it's a collective effort.  I'll deep fry a bird and do up a ham (double smoked and glazed) as usual.  I didn't do the ham last year and that's not happening again. I'll probably also do up some mac and cheese (14 years in s.c.) and some shaved brussel sprouts with bacon of course.  In addition there will be the following:

Roast Turkey

Mashed taters

Creamed corn (homemade) 

Broccoli casserole ( other sister in law always brings it and it sucks all the time)

Bread stuffing (the good sister in law that makes it exactly like I do)

Sweet Potatos

Cauliflower with cheese sauce (my mother in law will bring it because it's the only thing she makes that I'll eat)

Broccoli

Rolls and other various breads

Cranberry sauce

1 or 2 surprise items that someone will attempt.

Pies and other deserts that vary from year to year.

There will be about 20-26 depending on schedules.  Always a really nice day, except for the freaking casserole. :D

7 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

The domestic turkey's up north have to survive to almost Christmas (that can mean some minus 40 nights with windchill). All they need is a place to shelter and any frozen water replaced with liquid water every day. Are they that sensitive to cold in the south is was it just one bird?

Wb

They have a shelter, but prefer to huddle up in the middle of their paddock. The last two I've lost due to temps find themselves outside of the flock huddle. I thoroughly inspected for signs of infection or disease, everything smelled ok inside the body cavity, etc.

We picked them up in April and they've been raised in moderate to hot temps, and this cold snap has come with very low temps, about 3 weeks early, and is a fairly drastic temp swing from what they've had to this point so their winter feathering isn't fully developed.

After this week it should stay in the 50s-70s through the holiday. Welcome to TX.