The Annual What Are You Having For Thanksgiving Thread

WillyBob

13 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

As to the sauce: I agree; it should be loving made, carefully cooled and then quickly thrown in the trash with any cucumbers.

And you Sir have never had my cranberry sauce. A big blob on top of a home made waffle doused in pure maple syrup. Yummmm..... Can't wait til it gets cold enough to make waffles:)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, babadono said:

And you Sir have never had my cranberry sauce. A big blob on top of a home made waffle doused in pure maple syrup. Yummmm..... Can't wait til it gets cold enough to make waffles:)

To be fair I haven’t. How does it taste without the added maple syrup?

Wb

Going to my sisters, so whatever she serves, I eat. It is pretty much Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, plus pot luck as everyone brings a dish, usually a bunch of veggies that don't quite fit on my plate again this year.

Turkey dinner is my "gas chamber meal"! If I only get one more meal, this would be it! Boring I know.

I have a Thanksgiving luncheon next Thursday at work, a turkey dinner over the weekend with friends and then again on actual Thanksgiving day.

That ought to hold me over for a few months.

13 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

ffs is that ever true. i absolutely hate keeping turkeys.

Best day when raising turkeys is the day you chop their heads off and decide that you're not raising turkeys anymore.  Growing up I worked on a few different poultry operations and they're about as stupid as AOC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

ffs is that ever true. i absolutely hate keeping turkeys.

16 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Best day when raising turkeys is the day you chop their heads off and decide that you're not raising turkeys anymore.  Growing up I worked on a few different poultry operations and they're about as stupid as AOC

The advantage to keeping a few of them, assuming you like Turkey, is you know exactly what they've been fed and how they've been treated.

Just never let a kid starting individually naming them.

Wb

• Like 1

Just now, Wolfbane said:

The advantage to keeping a few of them, assuming you like Turkey, is you know exactly what they've been fed and how they've been treated.

Agreed, but now I just purchase all of my meat from friends that raise the animals.  All the benefits, none of the hassle.  I have named the specific cows and pigs that we were purchasing but the wife drew the line when I tool a picture of one of the cows and named it snickers and hung the picture up next to the big freezer.  :lol:

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Just never let a kid starting individually naming them.

Wb

We keep goats, chickens, turkeys, and pigs for meat. The girls get attached to some of the breeding stock and I'm ok with that..they're very much aware of which ones we've designated to be food and have embraced it. They didn't even flinch when I came in from the cold with a skinned carcass in my hands.

2 hours ago, Pete H said:

Agreed, but now I just purchase all of my meat from friends that raise the animals.  All the benefits, none of the hassle.  I have named the specific cows and pigs that we were purchasing but the wife drew the line when I tool a picture of one of the cows and named it snickers and hung the picture up next to the big freezer.  :lol:

I’d name them: breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Wb

Nothing a 12 gauge loaded with birdshot at the ready couldn't resolve. Assuming that they co-operate and leave city limits during hunting season (which is now in a lot of places). Best to back off several yards and give them 'fair warning' first though. Next stop, some cleaning, plucking and a big roast pan.

Per Anthony Hopkins: Best served 'with a side of Fava Beans and a nice Chianti'.

Wb

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:40 PM, jimjimbo said:

Absolutely the best ever stuffing, even better than my mother's, and that's saying a lot.  However, cut back on the Grand Marnier, it's pretty strong.

You're welcome.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/silver-palate-grand-marnier-apricot-stuffing-51242541

Grand Marnier, a/k/a "Agent Orange" which is what my old Vietnam Veteran boss used to call it.

Since I do the majority of the cooking, I know which parts I'm doing.  Either smoked or rotisserie turkey, smoked ham, mashed taters, giblet gravy, my grandmothers recipe for dressing, and maybe green bean casserole.  After that, they can figure out the rest or bring it.  I don't make desserts so that ball is in the inlaws corner and she usually makes pies, which are quite good.  I do have to have my "can cranberry sauce" as I'm not a fan of the real stuff.  My wife takes care of the rolls and other snacks.  I'm pretty darn sure that Thanksgiving, and Christmas, is at our house this year since we're in the new house and were in the "half way house (rental) last year at this time.  At least we have good space for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Prep has started.  Double smoked bourbon glazed ham is started.  Mesquite, Hickory and multiple fruit woods and cloves are working on it now and will add different fruits along with a bourbon brown sugar glaze.  Turkey has been injected and rubbed properly after a good brine soak and all the equipment is packed and ready to take over to the in laws to fry it tomorrow morning.  Gonna be a great day.