The Annual What Are You Having For Thanksgiving Thread

WillyBob

OK...

Morgan baked 3 loaves of bread using einkorn flour today, to be used for stuffing tomorrow. She's also making einkorn rolls and pumpkin pie from scratch with einkorn flour for the crust.

Einkorn for the uninitiated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einkorn_wheat

I'm thawing chicken stock I made a few months back, to be used in the stuffing and for gravy.

Harvested turkeys Sunday and two have been resting in the fridge. I plan to do simple seasoning, butter under the skin and roast them one at a time tomorrow. Leftovers will go into the soup pot.

Miscellaneous veggies will be roasted.

Fancy beer.

I think my folks are bringing mashed potatoes and apple cider vinegar pie, aka "Chess Pie".. it's a sweet tart with a unique flavor that forms an odd crunchy top layer after it bakes/cools.

Morgan's folks are bringing a salad.

Salami, cheeses, pickled herring, homemade Braunschweiger, crackers, Jim's spicy beans and pickles, homemade pickled beets for hors d'oeuvres ..

Fuckin' A that's shaping up to be quite a nice feast of locally sourced, hand raised, and from-scratch homemade foods. Happy Harvest!

• Like 3

Our turkey is all broken down and bones are in the stock pot. Made a drop at my buddy and his wife's. Fed SIL and friend. They showed promptly at 4. We told them 2PM. They're on HawaiianTime.   Still have a pan of dressing and the neck to pick at. 

I do a very basic dressing. Butter, onion, celery, S & P, poultry seasoning and stock over bread cubes. I like plain ol' French bread in it.

8 hours ago, rplace said:

Hatch chili brine

You will like this chicken recipe.

Brown cut up bird. Add onion, cumin and garlic. Cover in green enchilada sauce. Simmer until the meat falls off the bone... Ono-licious

• Like 1

Now that the main event is done, we have some leftovers.

I notice that there are regional dishes for them... beyond turkey, dressing and mashed potato sandwiches

Hawaii has TurkeyOkoleSoup [turkey tail soup]

Down here, we traditionally make turkey enchiladas.  Since white meat is usually left, that's what the recipe calls for. Essentially turkey salad in a flour tortilla.

You can eat the  extra filling with a spoon/fork.

It's turkey, sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onion, sliced black olives, green chile, cilantro

Line the burritos up in a pan and cover with green enchilada sauce. Bake @350` until bubbly.

Yeah... I use a lot of green enchilada sauce.

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I just threw carcasses, wings, legs, thighs, necks, and feet into two pots for turkey stock.. They'll simmer for the day.

For breakfast I diced up some bacon and fried it up with some stuffing, then topped with an over-easy egg.

Maybe lunch will be fried mashed potatoes with... Something.

i don’t know how you do it.  i can’t remember the last time that i ate three meals in one day.  i’m generally an eat once-a-day guy.  my problem is that one meal is too big which creates other problems. 

the stuff you whipped up does sound good.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mallette said:

I gave my son orphan training in carving.

Looks like you both could use some lessons.  I carved meat in a buffet line when I lived in Daytona.  Turkey, lamb, steamship round, etc.  Guess who gets always gets appointed to carve the turkey every year at Thanksgiving, LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, NADman said:

BSM  I thought your Bro was coming over to do some fancy cooking.

Three meals a day?  Forgitaboutit. Late breakfast - light supper - I'm good.

yeah my bro cooked turkey, stuffing, potatoes, corn.  I only had one helping but will enjoy a turkey sandwich for dinner. 

I generally eat about 4 o’clock and that’s all.  on special occasions (with company) i’ll go out to breakfast, but afterwards i don’t feel so great because i’m not used to eating in the morning. good thing, if i ate three meals and day and liked sweets like most people -- i’d be on that 600 pound person show.  Only eating once a day with some snacking and i’m 221. which is way too much for me. about 10 years ago, i got down to 173 and people were telling me that i’d lost too much weight and that i looked sick.

I’d like to get down to 200. 

• Like 1