Keep or Upgrade? A newbie question.

dan.derby

About 24 hours ago, a really nice guy sold me his "80s babies", a really nice set of Klipsch KG 4s. 1986 I think. My first Klipsch set. Backstory: I recently decided to try tubes (tube pre on order) and wanted something really efficient to drive them and that I could resell after this experiment.  I put them in place of my KEF LS50s (computer flac files => Mytek pre => Bryston 4B sst) and my jaw dropped.  Damn things were way more interesting than I imagined. Love the detail and the way they can handle playing quiet or the Dead with equal skill.  A bit bright but interesting enough that I started thinking about refinishing the cabinets and perhaps refreshing the cross over, caps, etc. . . . you know futzing with them.  It dawned on me somewhere in the middle of eight or ninth CD that rather than put that effort into the KG 4s, maybe I should think in terms of upgrading to something higher up the Klipsch food chain. 

So here's the question - what part of the aforementioned food chain would you suggest? As you think about the more accomplished vintage models Klipsch made, is there a "break point", a place where one begins to see the "heart and soul" of Klipsch?  Or maybe said another way, as you go up the ladder, what do you gain in more accomplished models? My listening room is smallish but all mine, so size is limited to keeping me on the good side of my neighbors (i.e. no La Scala's and the room has bad corners).  I will have, any moment, a nice tube front end. And, oh yes, I have vinyl...lots of vinyl...maybe too much vinyl. 

Anyway, thanks for any insights. I look forward to learning more!

Dan

• Like 2

I think you'd have to start with the Heritage Series, if you're looking for that break point. That heart and soul will be found in the efficiency, and the horn loaded drivers, and the two go hand in hand.

You mentioned you can't fit LaScalas; then you probably can't fit Cornwalls because they are even wider, albeit just about an inch. So stop dreaming about them!

If you're willing to buy new, get the new Heresy IV. Rumor has it, it will be available at the end of the month. Otherwise, the Heresy III is insanely efficient and will beat the pants off any speaker similar in size.

Similar size to the kg4's- find a pair of Quartets. Willing to go just slightly larger-if you want legendary, get a pair of Forte's, which are probably Klipsch's most popular, and affordable speaker.

• Like 3

The Heresy of near size to your KG-4's being  A 3 way speaker would get you into heritage territory but, you may be be unhappy with the bass being a bit lacking over the 4's without a sub.

Like my Heresy and miss my 4's

There is the near size Quartet, another 3 way or, some may suggest the forte' or Forte II, either one a step up in size from the 4's both of which along with the Quartet with rear passives like the 4's. Abit more bold with the size, a Chorus or a heritage Cornwall ...

Welcome...

• Like 1

The KG-4 is one of the more laid back sounding Klipsch models so you would probably want to hear other models before committing to purchase if you think the KG-4's were bright sounding.

Forte II would be a good starting point if an upgrade is what you were looking for.

• Like 3

Dan, my listening room is 12 x 20, my speakers have always sat along the short wall two to three feet out and form an equilateral triangle with the (prime) listening position.

I had gone up the food chain starting with Heresys, Forte 2s, and Cornwalls (the usual suspects) but when I finally got up the guts to chuck a weeks pay for a pair of ‘92 LaScalas my listening experience changed forever.

The thing that surprised me the most about such a potentially lethal speaker was how QUIETLY I could listen to the music and still become engaged.

In a dead quiet room the result is even more impactful.

If you find a good price on a pair of LaScalas you owe it to yourself, and all those you care about, lol, to give them a try. Especially with your gear. 

Worst case scenario, you sell them for what you paid. And half a year later after trying to convince yourself you don’t miss them you snag another pair...

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  Really helpful perspectives. 

Would this be a good summary of the food chain starting with my KG 4s - in terms of you've suggested?

KG 4 => Heresy => Quartet => Forte => Chorus => Cornwall => La Scala  ???? 

My listening room is 13x21x7.5 but the listening position is constrained to 12' from front wall by a trivial need to hold up the floor above (i.e. load bearing beam).  Walls are hand laid field stones, very irregular and ceiling is open beams with sprayed on insulation.   I did some surfing last night and there seems to be support for the Quartet/Forte/Chorus area most of you recommended. They also have a form factor that appeals to me.  Given that I live in New Hampshire, there's not a lot of opportunity to test drive models and I don't like to "kick tires" for the ones on sell & waste peoples' time. 

So for now, my plan would be:

- LIve with my KG4s for my tube experiment and mess with them upgrading/restoring/hot rodding (love that kinda thing).  They were cheaper than most of my interconnects.

- Keep an eye out for the Quartet/Forte/Chorus types as I go. Suspect any of them will be a great next step.  Making this jump would depend on how liveable the KG4s turn out to be and what kind of buy I can get. Beat up cabinets with solid drivers and cross overs would be perfect for me.  I'd like to stay in the legacy area and not consider new ones . . . it's part of the charm and bragging rights.

- Find some way hear La Scalas so I completely mess up my audio aspirations. 

Again, thanks for your insights!

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

See you have a plan. Watch your local craigslist area and OfferUp, etc. If one pops up for your price, you will be able to react quickly, cash in hand. Did have a set of the LaScala in a smaller room and liked it.

Meanwhile, enjoy those 4's...I sure did. Keep us posted and let us know. If you tell your area, we may be able to help...

billybob 

Thanks for the offer.  I'm on the New Hampshire coast about 45 minutes from Boston. Funny, i was going to start refinishing the KG 4s this weekend but that's not gonna happen.  I've discovered they play really nice quietly.  Opens up all sort of opportunities after dinner. Feel like I'm being happily sucked into a new listening dimension. Really looking forward to driving with tube pre, which should arrive any day now.  Going forward my challenge is to find a way to listen to the other vintage models that have been recommended. 

Dan 

• Like 2

You've got your "food chain" right. It's wise of you to consider the form factor of the speakers as they have to fit in the room, not just physically but aesthetically.

And, you've got the Quartet/Forte/Chorus hierarchy right.

Keep us updated if you try another model.

On 11/12/2019 at 11:47 AM, dan.derby said:

Would this be a good summary of the food chain starting with my KG 4s - in terms of you've suggested?

KG 4 => Heresy => Quartet => Forte => Chorus => Cornwall => La Scala  ????

I have La Scalas and larger (and a set of Heresy IIs). The Quartet, Forte, Chorus models are, to me perhaps more aesthetically pleasing, being a taller and slimmer package. I love the distinctive look of the La Scala, and the fully horn loaded system is the best, but they can be a bit more difficult to place in a room.  I've never liked the Cornwall, but the newest could really change my mind.

Enjoy the journey!

Bruce

• Like 1

Dan, here's my take fwiw. 

1.  Trust these guys in here cause they know what they're talking about.   

2.  Ya might have a "small" space but you found out Klipch sounds great in ANY space.  Well, almost.  lol

3.  Craving and drooling is always good and we all know you're wiping your chin.  It goes with the territory in here.

4.  I bought a pair of 81 LS and went over them.  I've NEVER been happier.  Also have a pair of 81 Heresy's.  I'm running tubes and truly amazed at what I hear now.

5.  I'd go with a pair of Heresy and cut to the chase.  Find a nice older pair and go over them.  Ya may as well step up your game into the Heritage Line since that's where you want to go anyway.  Keep an eye on the Garage Sale section in here or CL, Fb Marketplace and you'll find something close.  Go listen, load 'em up and go to work.  You've got the support right here.  In the mean time relax and enjoy just stay woke!  ha!  Save ur money and welcome home!

• Like 2

IMG_1320.thumb.jpg.7ffe002cb63fd22feb72df72515a0087.jpgI remember when I first came around here and posted, asked questions, got opinions. Followed my gut, took risks and couldn't be happier. 13x19 room. 45 tube amp, 2 lovely watts. La Scala's here too. I agree with the others...totally changed me.

• Like 5

Stick those KG4's in the corners, angle them in at 45 degrees, and crank those suckers! An audio system is just that: A system. All the pieces will work together to produce a particular sound. Work the placement, work the source, work the connectors, wires, tubes. You will eventually get the best possible sound you can get with that system. It'll take a while. Then you'll know what you do and don't like about your system, It might not be the speakers you change.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 11:02 PM, guf said:

IMG_1320.thumb.jpg.7ffe002cb63fd22feb72df72515a0087.jpgI remember when I first came around here and posted, asked questions, got opinions. Followed my gut, took risks and couldn't be happier. 13x19 room. 45 tube amp, 2 lovely watts. La Scala's here too. I agree with the others...totally changed me.

That's really inspiring! My room's a bit smaller but those LSs would probably fit fine.  What amp is that?  Experimenting with flea power tubes was one of the itches that set me on this Klipsch path.

• Like 1