Looking for subs to round out a lascala-based mobile soundsystem

MZSS

Hi all - 

I am building a mobile soundsystem using my pair of 1985 Lascalas. I would like to find a pair of subwoofers I could place the lascalas on top of to get them off the ground. 

I'd like passive subs, scoops or folded horn designs. Not opposed to buying cabinets and replacing the speaker. I plan on running the subs with my Crown macro-tech 600. 

Been searching ebay, reverb, craigslist for the past several weeks - thinking maybe I don't know the best way to look, as I haven't found much. 

Any ideas? All thoughts and recommendations appreciated. 

Welcome to the forum.  Because this is a mobile system, I would decide on the size that you're willing to cart around first.  You have a ton of choices but you can start to narrow it down by size/what is your target frequency response and crossover point to the La Scala's etc.. to try and narrow suggestions down.

12 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Welcome to the forum.  Because this is a mobile system, I would decide on the size that you're willing to cart around first.  You have a ton of choices but you can start to narrow it down by size/what is your target frequency response and crossover point to the La Scala's etc.. to try and narrow suggestions down.

Thank you! Well first off I'd like to be able to power them both with my macro tech 600 which I imagine narrows my options a bit. As far as size, I'd like them to be able to support the lascalas on top of them, but can't move around anything much bigger than the lascalas themselves. So something a little more than 2ft wide and 2ft deep - height can be variable. 

As far as target frequency response//cross-over - that's TBD, open to thoughts and suggestions! 

Check out BFM website. (Bill Fitzmaurice) Folded horns galore. But you have to build'em or get someone to build for you. And maybe they're too big for your app. Bill is the source of the 'table tuba' mentioned in the post above.  Forum member here @jason str was a builder but i don't know if he takes on work anymore. Certainly I won't speak for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately propping subs under mains is a no no but the proper subs for the application would be

Tuba 30 or Tuba 45, both are the same horns but folded differently. These will need to be high passed @ 35 Hz unless you run 4 cabinets witch you can lower it to 30 Hz.

If you need to dig a bit lower and don't mind hauling a bigger cabinet get the plans for the Tuba 60.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jason str said:

Unfortunately propping subs under mains is a no no but the proper subs for the application would be

Why is this a no - no? I'm taking inspiration from the reggae // dub soundsystems, they've always got mids and tops stacked on bass scoops. 

7 minutes ago, MZSS said:

Why is this a no - no? I'm taking inspiration from the reggae // dub soundsystems, they've always got mids and tops stacked on bass scoops. 

Subs work best when they’re placed either close together for mutual coupling, or spread very wide to cover large areas. The basic rule is to have them either less than a quarter-wavelength apart or more than two wavelengths apart for their passband, which for 40 to 100 Hz means
less than 2.8 feet or more than 56 feet.

Visit the BFM forum if you wish to learn more.

• Like 3