K-Horn power need per PWK

tube fanatic

2 hours ago, ILI said:

Here is a really nice article about how much/little wpc we  really need, and why. That's why I love my 3.5wpc Tubecube7 so much.

https://kenrockwell.com/audio/why-tubes-sound-better.htm 

I like Rockwell’s reviews as he is not afraid to state what he believes, and I totally agree with his comments about sold state amps and the Crown offerings in particular.  The owner of the power supply company at which I once worked was an engineer for them back in the day, and he told me many times that his only interest was measured performance no matter how poorly the final result sounded.  One of my coworkers was into SET amps and you can imagine the discussions that the 3 of us had about our philosophies.  

Maynard

• Like 1

So Klipshorn = 100dB = 2 watts but with 10dB peaks =20 watts. What if you were fortunate enough to have a more faithful recording medium that was used with painstaking care to faithfully capture a musical performance and had 20 db peaks? 2 watts +20db peaks = 200watts. Aren't logarithms cool?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babadono said:

So Klipshorn = 100dB = 2 watts but with 10dB peaks =20 watts. What if you were fortunate enough to have a more faithful recording medium that was used with painstaking care to faithfully capture a musical performance and had 20 db peaks? 2 watts +20db peaks = 200watts. Aren't logarithms cool?

I know only one person who listens at 100+ db levels.  All of the other guys typically listen between 70 and 80 db.  So even factoring in 20db of headroom the power need is minimal.  When I had my K-horns in a 15 x 25 room I easily achieved excessively loud levels with a few tens of milliwatts.  And further, PWK was using only 1 speaker!  I’m not trying to convince anyone,  but I have had lots of success through the years powering many systems using Klipsch speakers with less than 2 wpc and, in many cases, with 1 wpc or less.  To each his own as with everything else......Besides, my new “specialty” of desktop systems requires even less power!

Maynard

• Thanks 1

} I enjoy single ended amps as much as anyone, as pure as any amps I’ve heard. Owned 3.5 watt, single ended 2a3 monoblocks at the early stages of Jube ownership. Showing them off to another member while picking up my KHorns it became apparent 2a3 amps quickly 

ran out off steam as his lovely wife kept saying “louder, louder”. Among other solid state amps I now have 20 watt single ended amps with transformers nearly as big and heavy as the entire 2a3 mono chassis, or as I like to say single ended with ballz. Delicate, transparent and detailed at low volume, enough juice to get your attention when needed. Even with 105 dB speaks there is still some validity with the 

“no replacement for displacement” mantra —

8 minutes ago, richieb said:

} I enjoy single ended amps as much as anyone, as pure as any amps I’ve heard. Owned 3.5 watt, single ended 2a3 monoblocks at the early stages of Jube ownership. Showing them off to another member while picking up my KHorns it became apparent 2a3 amps quickly 

ran out off steam as his lovely wife kept saying “louder, louder”. Among other solid state amps I now have 20 watt single ended amps with transformers nearly as big and heavy as the entire 2a3 mono chassis, or as I like to say single ended with ballz. Delicate, transparent and detailed at low volume, enough juice to get your attention when needed. Even with 105 dB speaks there is still some validity with the 

“no replacement for displacement” mantra —

Just be glad she didn’t want to hear Stairway to Heaven at her usual listening volume. 

The Khorns sound wonderful with 6 watts per channel... 

cincy

15 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Just be glad she didn’t want to hear Stairway to Heaven at her usual listening volume. 

The Khorns sound wonderful with 6 watts per channel... 

cincy

} There he is - kinda like “wack-a-mole”  Appears only when his button is pushed —

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Intersting article, thanks. That does it, I'm selling all my amps with any power and going to 10 watts or less. That is all I will ever need. Oh, but then there the sub, might need 15 or so watts for that guy 🤔

I have an F3 First Watt clone, singel ended Class A with tube like sound you might like.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Intersting article, thanks. That does it, I'm selling all my amps with any power and going to 10 watts or less. That is all I will ever need. Oh, but then there the sub, might need 15 or so watts for that guy 🤔

You listen at 75db or less right?:)

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I have an F3 First Watt clone, singel ended Class A with tube like sound you might like.

} Agree. I have a FW F3 that I thoroughly enjoy —. Although head to head to the 20 watt single ended monos - well - its just not the same 

and comes up a bit short —