Cornscala Build

captjoe

Well I'm finished with my Super Hersey Build and now on to a Cornscala Build.

Right now here is what I have decided to do,

CABINETS

Will order from Bob Crites Russian Birch unfinished

Looks like I can't get just cabinets unless I order all internals also..I will need to look around Lafayette, La area and see who I can contract to do them.My shop is not equipped to do the level of work I'm looking for.Any suggestions would be appreciated

WOOFFER
Eminence KappaFER Pro-15LFC 15" Professional Low Frequency Woofer 4 Ohm

Eminence Kappalite 3015lf4. Low Frequency Woofer 4 Ohm ( Possible Change ) 15 Nov 2019

MID RANGE 
B&C DE85TN-8 2" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm 4-Bolt

B&C DE750TN-8 2" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm 4-Bolt ( Possible Change ) 15 Nov 2019

B&C ME60 2" Constant Directivity Horn 60x40 4-Bolt

TWEETER 
B&C DE120 1" Neodymium Mylar Compression Driver 8 Ohm 2/3-Bolt

Daves MAHL Version 2.

CROSSOVER NETWORK

ALK AP12-500

ALK ES5800

Please chime in with any thoughts.Have purchased only the crossover network as it will be the longest wait time for it.

I will start sharing photos as I get parts together and cabinets in hand which I will order this week.

I made some additions to the list as I get suggestions from Forum members.

Here a picture of the super Hersey I finished last year.. Ready for a new project..

klipsch 1.png

Edited by captjoe
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, captjoe said:

Well I'm finished with my Super Hersey Build and now on to a Cornscala Build.

Right now here is what I have decided to do,

CABINETS

Will order from Bob Crites Russian Birch unfinished.

WOOFFER

MID RANGE 
B&C DE85TN-8 2" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm 4-Bolt

B&C ME60 2" Constant Directivity Horn 60x40 4-Bolt

TWEETER 
B&C DE120 1" Neodymium Mylar Compression Driver 8 Ohm 2/3-Bolt

Daves MAHL Version 2.

CROSSOVER NETWORK

ALK AP12-500

ALK ES5800

Please chime in with any thoughts.Have purchased only the crossover network as it will be the longest wait time for it.

I will start sharing photos as I get parts together and cabinets in hand which I will order this week.

Here a picture of the super hersey

klipsch 1.png

Nice.  The super Heresy is a awesome speaker. I built mine last year.  I would give your woofer selection a second thought. Claude just advised me to use the kappalite 3015lf4.  Says it's a much better woofer than the 15c.

• Like 1

If I can make 2 suggestions. 

ALK ES and AP12 networks expect to see a predicted inductance of the voice coil. Meaning that it’s set for a K33/K43 woofer.  The Kappa 15C has been measured by Al and is also compatible.  If you use something different the crossover could not be expected to perform as predicted.  Maybe it wouldn’t matter. Al and only a handful of other people can do the level of calculations needed.  In short, use a k33 or kappa 15C or ask Al. 

Secondly, the DE85 is lovely, is perfect especially for this application. That said. The DE750 was a monster. Bass was much improved.  It’s the same diaphragm but 2x the magnet.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, justinsweber said:

If I can make 2 suggestions. 

ALK ES and AP12 networks expect to see a predicted inductance of the voice coil. Meaning that it’s set for a K33/K43 woofer.  The Kappa 15C has been measured by Al and is also compatible.  If you use something different the crossover could not be expected to perform as predicted.  Maybe it wouldn’t matter. Al and only a handful of other people can do the level of calculations needed.  In short, use a k33 or kappa 15C or ask Al. 

Secondly, the DE85 is lovely, is perfect especially for this application. That said. The DE750 was a monster. Bass was much improved.  It’s the same diaphragm but 2x the magnet.  

I didn't know this. What would the alk universal be compatible with?

11 hours ago, mopardave said:

Nice.  The super Heresy is a awesome speaker. I built mine last year.  I would give your woofer selection a second thought. Claude just advised me to use the kappalite 3015lf4.  Says it's a much better woofer than the 15c.

Thank You will check on it.

Edited by captjoe

8 hours ago, justinsweber said:

The universals are 6db filters and don’t have same issue.  I’d want a specific woofer then the cornscalawal but I’d want higher older filters... need to be kliapxh compatible with k33 or 15C

Ok, so im good using the kappalite 3015lf4 with the alk universal.   thanks

3 hours ago, justinsweber said:

The kappalite 3015lf4 is a 12” woofer. If doing a cornscala you need 15”. So, Buy a 15” from bob crites. He has 2 very good choices or get a eminence Kappa 15C from parts express. 

Sorry Justin, but the 3015lf-4 is a 15" woofer.  I think that is what the 15 is in 3015.   Claude just used it in a super cornwall, says its 4 times the woofer of a 15c.

• 6 months later...
On 11/14/2019 at 12:54 PM, captjoe said:

Here a picture of the super Hersey I finished last year.. Ready for a new project..

How does it sound? What is the room size, placement, how far are you sitting from them?

On 11/15/2019 at 5:27 PM, justinsweber said:

The kappalite 3015lf4 is a 12” woofer. If doing a cornscala you need 15”. So, Buy a 15” from bob crites. He has 2 very good choices or get a eminence Kappa 15C from parts express. 

I agree about the Crites woofer being a good choice for a LaScala, Khorn, and Cornwall....................but a  Kappa 15C's Xmax of 2.5 mm could be an issue in a Cornwall. I only recommend it for short horns Like LS or Belle, even my Quarter Pies, but not Cornwalls. They work and sound good, especially in the upper end of their band (400-500 Hz.) but not for bass freaks in a bass reflex box, where you may need more Xmax.

On 11/14/2019 at 1:56 PM, mopardave said:

The super Heresy is a awesome speaker. I built mine last year.  I would give your woofer selection a second thought. Claude just advised me to use the kappalite 3015lf4.  Says it's a much better woofer than the 15c.

Mostly for the high Xmax and the fact that an old K55/K600 horn in a Cornwall responds down to 500 Hz. even though Klipsch claims only 600 Hz for it. Or 700 Hz. in the case of the Cornwall III, since it uses a horn similar to a Heresy.

On 11/15/2019 at 1:34 AM, captjoe said:

A fellow member saw these on e-bay and I like them also so I bought a pair.

s-l500.jpg

To be a TRUE CornScala, it should, technically, have a K400 horn with K55, just like a LaScala. I built one back in 1975 before there was a name for it.

On 11/14/2019 at 1:56 PM, mopardave said:

WOOFFER

This woofer is a little less expensive than the Kappalite. It had good Xmax and will work well in a Cornwall. It has a slight bass peak at 40 Hz. which some people might prefer over the Kappalite.