Promedia GMX A-2.1

Petalmasher

Hello,

I have a Promedia GMX A-2.1 computer speaker system that I bought sometime around 2005. I actually really liked it and used it a lot until I started having trouble with one channel cutting in and out depending on where the volume knob is set. It got annoying enough that I replaced it and it’s been sitting on the floor of my closet.  I need to get rid of it so I can get the space back, but I don’t want to throw it away because the speakers are all fine. I’ve taken apart the little little Controller/preamp module and tried cleaning things up, but I suspect that the volume potentiometer needs to be replaced. I’d love to send it to a good home where someone might know where to get the needed replacement parts and actually be able to use it. Anyone know where I might find people who want this thing?

• 2 weeks later...

The controllers all fail on these things.  Klipsch has refused to acknowledge the bad electronics, issue a recall, or even apologize for not getting it right. They probably sold more of those computer setups than any product they have ever rolled out. Cheap but great, and I mean great sound for what they are. They do, and will, sell you a new controller by kinda, sorta, way of apology, for not much coin. That's the way I went after trying to fix it myself. 

• 5 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 7:11 PM, thebes said:

The controllers all fail on these things.  Klipsch has refused to acknowledge the bad electronics, issue a recall, or even apologize for not getting it right. They probably sold more of those computer setups than any product they have ever rolled out. Cheap but great, and I mean great sound for what they are. They do, and will, sell you a new controller by kinda, sorta, way of apology, for not much coin. That's the way I went after trying to fix it myself. 

Wait ... Now they will sell a replacement?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Years ago I called Klipsch to buy one and they told me they didn't sell replacements.
I came here to try to find the specs on the 2 pots because finally no amount of fiddling will make the noise go away and speakers stay on.

On 11/14/2019 at 5:53 PM, Petalmasher said:

Hello,

I have a Promedia GMX A-2.1 computer speaker system that I bought sometime around 2005. I actually really liked it and used it a lot until I started having trouble with one channel cutting in and out depending on where the volume knob is set. It got annoying enough that I replaced it and it’s been sitting on the floor of my closet.  I need to get rid of it so I can get the space back, but I don’t want to throw it away because the speakers are all fine. I’ve taken apart the little little Controller/preamp module and tried cleaning things up, but I suspect that the volume potentiometer needs to be replaced. I’d love to send it to a good home where someone might know where to get the needed replacement parts and actually be able to use it. Anyone know where I might find people who want this thing?

put the  add on the garage sale , maybe someone in your area will snap it up -

On 5/11/2020 at 11:56 PM, Angelbane said:

I came here to try to find the specs on the 2 pots because finally no amount of fiddling will make the noise go away and speakers stay on.

Assuming there is a (stacked?) pot, remove it, measure the resistance across the two outside terminals and find one that also physically matches.  I'd assume an "audio" (maybe "logarithmic," it's been a while...) taper rather than "linear" would be appropriate, if you find a choice.

Stacked volume controls have always been a weak point.  The surest way of obtaining best channel balance at any given volume setting is to switch to "mono" and lift the speaker common leads, with them tied together.  Adjust the balance knob until you hear the least volume, and plug the common speaker leads back in, going back to stereo.  Surprising how much variance there can be in balance throughout the normal range (though I've never spent the bigger bucks on electronics, yet I feel safe in saying nits could be picked even then in this regard).

Edited to add:  if you haven't twisted the knob back and forth stop to stop, madly, in some time, try it.  Do it until you get tired or bored.  Then do it some more.  See what that does for you before any disassembly.