Help me choose a new 4k TV

wuzzzer

Current TV is a 70" 1080p Sharp Aquos Quattron that I've had since 2013.  It's been an awesome TV.  With prices dropping fast on 4k TVs I'm really wanting to make the jump. 

So, here's my dilemma.  I'm considering going with a 65" Sony X800G (on sale $698) or a 75" Samsung NU6900 (on sale $749).  I'm going to assume the Sony will have a slightly better picture.  Would you rather go with the smaller screen with the better picture or the larger screen just for the sheer size of it?

$750 is the max I want to spend so if you suggest other TVs please take that into consideration. 

7 hours ago, YK Thom said:

65 inches is a pretty good size.

I know.  It's just that every time I've bought a new TV I've always went up in both picture quality and size. 

I guess a trip to Best Buy is in order to actually see them in person. 

• Like 2

That's really the only way to choose a T.V. You might like the picture on something you haven't even considered at this point.  I would also make sure that the settings aren't set at ridiculous levels (they tend to do that in most stores) when you're looking at the picture.  Let us know what you end up with.  

• Thanks 1

} Was planning a 65 - 75in. upgrade for the long wall in the Jube room but have decided a more upscale TV, both in size and picture, is needed in the living area. Leaving in a hour to pick up a 65 OLED. Have talked about it for over a year and pricing is about right, at my max end. Either a Sony or LG in house later today — 

• Like 1

I went round and round a couple years ago - min 70" size, 4k/uhd, decent amount of light zones, and sub-$2k budget. Vizio ticked all the boxes and sat squarely in the realm of "have spend significantly more for incremental gains" spectrum.

Slight quality control with some of the mounting tape they use to affix the panel within frame, but it's mostly unnoticed during regular viewing and had no impact on the panel itself.

• Thanks 1

My wife is having a girl's night at our place tomorrow so I think I'll drive to the Fargo Best Buy, it's a little over an hour from where I live.  I went to that one last winter when I was there to sell some speakers to a guy and was really impressed at the variety of TVs they had on display, probably double the number of TVs than the Best Buy closer to me has.

Unless they have a fantastic deal on a UHD player I'll probably hold off on getting one for now and use my roku 4k stick for the time being.

Well, I looked at TVs for an hour tonight.  Ended up liking this one the best:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-led-8-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6325564.p?skuId=6325564

The picture looked fantastic, much better than the similarly priced Sony and LG models I looked at.  It's a lot of TV for the money.  Didn't buy it yet.  I think I'll order it and have it delivered. 

• Like 2

I agree with Samsung having a great picture. Im thinking of getting a 4k also. I like TV but don't worry about having the latest and greatest, I will wait for prices to drop, and the last time I was at best buy, I was surprised how cheap some of the TVs were.

We originally bought a LG 65", but it went green screen after the first 2 months...so we bought a Samsung. The Samsung picture never looked as good as the LG, and we had problems with the apps on it. I called tech support, and they would have me do factory resets. They did this until the warranty expired. The 4k Samsung is 3 years old now, and the only way to use it is as a monitor. It will not communicate with my Yamaha CXA5100 either. I am fed up with it, and wish I would have bought another LG or a different brand when it failed. BTW the Samsung picture looked better at Costco than the LG, but at home it wad the complete opposite.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk