RP-8000F vs. RF-7III

tubetwister

Short answer is yes. Especially if you already have the upgrade bug. Once you get the 8000s then you will think what about the RF-7 IIIs, just get them and be done with upgrading. I went from the synergy F3 the older model of yours to the RF-82 IIs and at first it was more clarity and an upgrade. Then, I realized I wanted more. I endend up getting the RF-7 IIs and was glad I did. Just a larger sound and incredible bass out of those dual 10” woofers. Now, I sold the RF-82s at a slight profit so it was no big deal. Just get the higher model, you will be glad you did.

DE3142B6-BAAE-4499-8D84-C7B7712196AF.jpeg

• Like 1

There are several key factors in your decision making. How large is your room? How loud do you listen to your music? 

I say go with the 8000s unless you listen to your music very loud or have a huge room. I had RP-280s for 2 weeks (pretty much the same as the 8000, the 8000 is the newer model) and the 280s were really impressive. I found a great deal on rosewood Cornwall 3s and purchased them and returned the 280s. I never read a single poor review of the RP-280s anywhere.

When you get to a certain level of high fidelity, there are diminishing returns on sonic improvement for the cash outlay. I could have been quite happy with the 280s, but the rosewood veneer CWs are something really special, both visually and to the ears. You listen to some of the old hands here and they will tell you short of Jubilees or the Klipsch commercial speakers, you are settling short. I don't feel that way at all. Not everybody has a huge room,  or listens to their music beyond 85-90 db sound level, or has unlimited resources. 

Not every member here needs Jubes or commercial product to be content with their home music reproduction. I know I don't. Just my opinion.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, polizzio said:

There are several key factors in your decision making. How large is your room? How loud do you listen to your music? 

I say go with the 8000s unless you listen to your music very loud or have a huge room. I had RP-280s for 2 weeks (pretty much the same as the 8000, the 8000 is the newer model) and the 280s were really impressive. I found a great deal on rosewood Cornwall 3s and purchased them and returned the 280s. I never read a single poor review of the RP-280s anywhere.

When you get to a certain level of high fidelity, there are diminishing returns on sonic improvement for the cash outlay. I could have been quite happy with the 280s, but the rosewood veneer CWs are something really special, both visually and to the ears. You listen to some of the old hands here and they will tell you short of Jubilees or the Klipsch commercial speakers, you are settling short. I don't feel that way at all. Not everybody has a huge room,  or listens to their music beyond 85-90 db sound level, or has unlimited resources. 

Not every member here needs Jubes or commercial product to be content with their home music reproduction. I know I don't. Just my opinion.

The room is a dedicated theater, about 24' X 27'. The speakers are now all Klipsch, with RB-81 II's, RB-61 II'S and RP-160M's for the surrounds. The center is the RC-64II. The 820's are the L&R speakers for now. I do listen to the music a little louder than most, as the walls, floor and ceiling are well insulated to keep the sound from migrating to the rest of the house. Big band jazz, Rock, and Classical.

I'm a recent Klipsch convert, having the main speakers in my theater and two channel listening room occupied by VMPS, by Brian Cheney. Tower II SE's. But I actually like the impact the Klipsch speakers have! More so than VMPS. The 820's are very, very good. Better than I ever thought they would be compared to my Towers which were 3 times the price.

The electronics for 2 channel are a Dynaco PAS 3 Series II Tube Pre-amp, and a Sound Valves Mosfet: 32 Power Amp (200 Watts/channel). For theater use the Yamaha CX-A5200 along with all separate amps from B&K / Emotiva.

So what do you find your current 820s lacking in presentation or sound? 

Sounds like a very nice theater and equipment. I see no mention of a subwoofer above. You do not use a sub for movies? For LF impact?

Given your room size and personal tastes, perhaps the RF-7s would be a better upgrade path for you from the 820s. 

2 hours ago, polizzio said:

So what do you find your current 820s lacking in presentation or sound? 

Sounds like a very nice theater and equipment. I see no mention of a subwoofer above. You do not use a sub for movies? For LF impact?

Given your room size and personal tastes, perhaps the RF-7s would be a better upgrade path for you from the 820s. 

Forgot to mention the dual subs, from Madisound, 12" drivers. Bought the pair as kits.

I am actually happy with the 820's. But would assign them to duty in another room if the 8000's or the RF-7's were purchased.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:48 AM, tubetwister said:

Need some good advice...looking to upgrade my theater from the R-820F's that are in the L&R spots.

I know the 8000's are very good speakers. Are the RF-7III's enough better to justify spending an extra $2400?

Has anyone here done a side-by-side comparison of these?

I did compare the 820 against the forte lll.820 lost big in depth and bass extension.dont think 7lll are that great for the price.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:37 PM, derrickdj1 said:

Get a pair of RF 7II or RF 7III and be done with it.  You need not get another pair of speakers for the rest of your life.

+ 1.. Have my orginal pair of RF-7 and just bought another pair of RF-7 III and plan on keeping both. I would go for the 7's..

• Like 1

RF-7iii pair B stock, walnut finish, $2500 delivered, seller has an perfect rating on ebay, authorized dealer, 43 years in business:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RF-7-Mark-III-Reference-Tower-Speakers-Walnut-Finish-Pair-B-Stock-NEW/292754728115?epid=13032163556&hash=item44298aa4b3:g:f6wAAOSwgq9bgaLs

Here from a guy who is a member here and has a B&M business/storefront, $1800 each unit (new A stock) delivered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RF-7III-black-brand-new-A-stock-shipped-on-a-pallet-priced-each/293137573436?hash=item44405c663c:g:vtIAAOSwHfZdGMXq

That's a great deal on B stock RF-7iii above. Ebay may add sales tax too as they have shifted to on most all listings.

I'm sure if you call Paducah Home Theater (second listing above) on the phone and not via flea bay, you will get a better price. I believe his name is Cory, if my memory is correct.

Link to Cory's business and phone #: https://paducahhometheater.com/

• Like 2