The Klipsch Audio Community
Cleese74

Cable advice

2 hours ago, JohnA said:

Cable Cooker?!?!  Where's the B.S. button?

HEY you want deep chest thumping bass you gotta cook your cables. Audiogon has lots of cable kookers if you need to read upon it.

5 minutes ago, Dave A said:

HEY you want deep chest thumping bass you gotta cook your cables. Audiogon has lots of cable kookers if you need to read upon it.

I'm doing a roast chicken tonight, think I'll throw a pair of cables on the bottom rack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

I'm doing a roast chicken tonight, think I'll throw a pair of cables on the bottom rack.

I toss my cables right into the pot of food I'm cooking. Gives my music that "home cooked" vibe.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

I toss my cables right into the pot of food I'm cooking. Gives my music that "home cooked" vibe.

You just need to be very careful doing that, a friend did that with some Mexican dish he was cooking and now everything he plays to has a slight mariachi sound. 

• Haha 2

} There is a cable maker/seller on AGon that goes by “Acoustic BBQ”. Selling such tasty delights as “full” racks, “half” racks etc. I’m thinking a half rack with several sides as cable elevators might stir the taste buds. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JohnA said:

No.  Not at all like wheels and tires.  Speaker wire has no air pressure, don't spin and have NONE of the components a wheel and tire set have.  You made a nonsense statement right out of Jabberwocky!

Hi John, Please don't be so disrespectful, as it doesn't serve the forum in a positive way.

Cheers, Greg

Edited by Kreg
I thought it would be better to be more clear.

Use good copper, or silver plated copper. If you can afford it, use pure silver. Why do we use copper? Because is it the best conductor, except for silver. Silver is more conductive. That is the only concession I will make to the fancy wire guys. Other wise, use thick multi strand, twist your positive and negative, if they are stuck together side by side, pull them apart and twist them up. Keep it short as possible, keep it away from other wires. Terminate or don't. 

• Like 1

I was going to throw in my two cents but would be unable to leave the second reply alone, so will refrain.  Much good and common sense has been shown relatively recently in the replies.

On 11/15/2019 at 6:40 PM, Cleese74 said:

Hi!

Finally I recieved my tube amp Triode Lab 2A3 EVO (http://www.triodelab.com/2a3-integrate), and now it's time to find the perfect cable for my Forte III. What do you think? Is there any owner with 2A3 tubes amp?

Thanks guys!

Tell you what:  to hook up my Forte IIIs I went to Home Depot and bought a 50' spool of stranded copper "speaker wire" (essentially #14 zip cord) and a ten-pack of banana plugs.  The plugs have holes through them at the rear for piggy-back connections.  During a thread not terribly long ago about bi-wiring I fetched another pack of plugs and bi-wired experimentally, doubling up on the plugs at the amp output.  I did not notice anything earth-shatteringly different, if at all.  Out of shear sheer laziness I have not bothered to reinstall the jumpers.  It sounds great either way.

I recommend you start with something similar (bi-wire or not) and see what you think.  It might've been $20 or so all-in with just the one pack of plugs, so it won't break the bank.  You may well be entirely satisfied too.

5 hours ago, dtel said:

You just need to be very careful doing that, a friend did that with some Mexican dish he was cooking and now everything he plays to has a slight mariachi sound. 

I boiled a set in Carolina Reapers one day when making hot sauce and it kept burning my speakers up.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Coytee said:

Maybe he's got really big lamps??  :tongue:

I do like a good pair is really big lamps, esp. LED. 

s-l225.jpg

Just normal oxygen free #14wire, no long runs.......just another opinion......

Connectors/terminal ends I don't bother with, it's not like I am going to change out things often, bare wires are a single connection, nothing in between.

I know wire type can probably make a difference in sound, but to me there re so many other variables in reproducing music I am not really concerned with better wires. I say this because source alone can range dramatically, not even counting electronics and speakers.  

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Just normal oxygen free #14wire, no long runs.......just another opinion......

Connectors/terminal ends I don't bother with, it's not like I am going to change out things often, bare wires are a single connection, nothing in between.

I know wire type can probably make a difference in sound, but to me there re so many other variables in reproducing music I am not really concerned with better wires. I say this because source alone can range dramatically, not even counting electronics and speakers.  

Amen brother. There are so many things of greater import to fiddle with. One of my favorites are people with bad music files trying to make electrical or new super duper equipment correct the problem. I know what I have in my shop and see the looks on the faces of first time listeners and it all went through that lovely zip cord. Speaker wire is the last thing I worry about other than guage although the connections at the ends do matter. If I can I use fork end crimp connectors on typical Klipsch inputs and they wont come loose until I make it so. Most of those screw in end banana plugs work loose for no evident reason and if you don't catch it will give you problems.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2019 at 5:29 PM, wuzzzer said:

Yes, but has copper changed since cars came with 78 series tires?  Copper is copper.  It's been around for a little longer than you and I.

Well, nobody seemed to know about oxygen free copper, much less Ohno process copper, so copper is not just copper.

Has rubber changed that much?  Sure, but the point I was making was that the small tires and wires used in the Sixties may have been good enough back then, but the bigger sizes available today work better.  That’s all.