Forum Members Only Sale

Rudy81

Im glad you are in TX. Though I know Oris 150 are to much for my room I am always trying to rationalize the purchase of a pair anytime I see them.  Just dont tell me they are priced so Low I would have to take a LOOOOONNNGGGGG road trip  😂  GLWTS Rudy

Seriously though PM me the price 😞

3 minutes ago, Randyh said:

what were you asking for these horns , just curious about buying a set , and I was wondering the used or new cost

$1200 without any drivers and that is what they sold for.  With the low price of the Euro vs the dollar, you can buy them new from BD-Designs, but remember the shipping is expensive and then they need to be painted.  There is also a VAT tax added by BD-Designs IIRC. I am aware of a guy on eBay that sells copies from Eastern Europe, but you have the same shipping and paint issues.  Buyer beware on eBay of course.  I can say that Bert of BD-Desings is a stand up guy and very responsive to questions.

21 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

LOL, spoke too soon, buyer changed his mind overnight. Still available.

Curious if you are doing local only or if you are exploring shipping. I recently sold my single owner (me) Forte II that looked like day one new. I was not interested in UPS/FedEx shipping as I knew they would destroy them and would cost a fortune based on recently shipping a pair of Altec horns only. The buyer got UShip to stop by my house and it could not have been easier. Very professional and pleasant; lots of communication along the way. Not sure of the cost at the buyer arranged it. Just something to consider.

You can always use U-Ship
It cost me $350 as I recall to ship a pair of k402 horns from California to Laredo Texas, and only took a little over a day. The horns were shrink wrapped and had a blanket for padding...they arrived perfectly too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, rplace said:

Curious if you are doing local only or if you are exploring shipping. I recently sold my single owner (me) Forte II that looked like day one new. I was not interested in UPS/FedEx shipping as I knew they would destroy them and would cost a fortune based on recently shipping a pair of Altec horns only. The buyer got UShip to stop by my house and it could not have been easier. Very professional and pleasant; lots of communication along the way. Not sure of the cost at the buyer arranged it. Just something to consider.

Sounds interesting as an option.  Thank you for letting me know.  Due to dangers of shipping, for now, it is local but may go that route eventually.

Just now, Ron E said:

You can always use U-Ship
It cost me $350 as I recall to ship a pair of k402 horns from California to Laredo Texas, and only took a little over a day. The horns were shrink wrapped and had a blanket for padding...they arrived perfectly too.

Excellent

10 minutes ago, Ron E said:

The horns were shrink wrapped and had a blanket for padding...they arrived perfectly too.

Did the seller package them up or U-Ship? I had my original factory boxes and added a little myself around the Fortes but when the U-ship guy arrived he seemed happy I packed them up. Almost like he was expecting to treat them like a moving company does furniture. I honestly think if I had had them playing music when he arrived he would have unplugged them, wrapped them in blankets and been on his way.

• Like 1

Did the seller package them up or U-Ship? I had my original factory boxes and added a little myself around the Fortes but when the U-ship guy arrived he seemed happy I packed them up. Almost like he was expecting to treat them like a moving company does furniture. I honestly think if I had had them playing music when he arrived he would have unplugged them, wrapped them in blankets and been on his way.
I told the seller to just shrink wrap since it was going via U-Ship. The guy was hauling them in a SUV. When they got to Laredo my Delivery service wrapped them with another blanket, and delivered them to me 10 hours away in Mexico in perfect condition.

If a buyer is willing to arrange and pay for packing, shipping and delivery, I'm good with that once payment is made. These things are pricey to ship once the driver mounting ring is attached, and I don't think you can remove it without damaging the horns.  Sad, because I still have the original wooden box used to ship them from Europe. Maybe BD-Designs should look at a mounting ring method that doesn't involve fusing the ring and horn permanently.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Randyh said:

hi joe - listen to this Video -  8-min10 sec-------and the speakers mounted on the horn are open baffle - 

Yes I know they are amazing. I have built 4-5 different sets over the years. Loved them all but I always had more space than I have now.  I recently discovered the benefit of Open Baffle Bass. Wish I would have known about it back when.  Currently I am running full Open Baffle setup. I did get Rudys 250 horn and am awaiting a mate. May end up with a hybrid setup  horn FR top end and Bass 250hz  and below  as Open Baffle.  I am also thinking the Horn Top end might work well with no rear chamber. Appreciate the link.

Anyone contemplating a Horn setup can not go wrong with the  Oris150 top end.  I have heard several (not just mine) and each one was superb.  I always found the bass was the hardest part to integrate. Open Baffle solves that though.

• Like 1

Joe, you are correct.  I have run the Oris in a purely OB setup and would go back to total OB if I could figure out the LF problem.  I have considered high end OB bass drivers, but they start at $500 plus and I'm not sure they can reach much below 30hz.  Granted, not a lot of music there, but it does occur. 

As far as the cleanest bass I have heard in my room, it was my OB setup.  But, it did not have the 'punch' and in your chest performance that my current bass bins have. In all fairness to OB in general, I was using my Eminence Kappalite 3015LF drivers which are not ideal for OB.  I left the project before purchasing several thousand dollars worth of high end LF drivers.  Maybe sometime I can revisit.  I am eagerly following @rplace and his PAP clone project. In my case, I used 3 RSW 15 subs to hold up the low end.

TheaterFront.jpg