Who's Going to See Ford Vs. Ferrari in the Theater?

Wolfbane

Ford vs. Ferrari  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Going to the movie in the theatre?

There is currently a good documentary on Netflix, The 24 Hour War.  Covers everything well.  How Shelby won as driver back in the '50s, to the AC cobra, to the Daytona models he made to run the endurance races. (seebring, daytona, la mans)  Finally getting to setup the GT40s.   Good viewing.  Lots of historical clips.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I'm surprised there is so much interest in a movie about a woman named Carroll and her dislike of Italian enzymes.

Got my four tickets purchased for tomorrow’s show here. It’s forecasted to pour rain for three days so I get to see Carroll, Henry Ford II and the GT40 kick some Italian a$$es.

Wb

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 3:07 PM, BigStewMan said:

Chuck isn’t retired by luck ... he makes people pay for his opinion.  i haven’t been to a theatre in six years or so. 

Saw it yesterday. I would have preferred to see them cast Christian Bale as Shelby and Matt Damon as the primary car driver (Ken Miles) or someone else in the movie.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:45 AM, dtel said:

Waiting for the book to come out.:huh:

OK maby the DVD or BR, haven't been to the movies since 1988.

Some movies need to be seen on the biggest screen possible. This is one of them. Too bad this wasn't made for Imax or in 70mm.

On 11/20/2019 at 6:17 AM, Tarheel said:

Don't want to say anything to give it away since our bud Wolfbane is seeing it soon.  A lot of folks from Philly say that Leo Beebe was not accurately portrayed though.

Everyone quite liked it. I'd watch it again. I do, as mentioned above, think more time spent showing how they built the car and how they shoehorned in the Ford 427 V8 would have been interesting. I also missed seeing more clearly the historical sponsorship by Gulf Oil of the GT40.

Wb

I flipped a coin today as to which 'potentially grossly disappointing or outright thrilling' movie to see today: FORD V FERRARI or MIDWAY.

MIDWAY won, and I wasn't disappointed (the cringe I knew was going to be there was... CGI and Harrelson as Nimitz). As historically accurate as any WWII movie will be.

FvF will be seen next week. Bale looks a great Ken Miles... Shelby should have been played by Matthew McConaughey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pmsummer said:

I flipped a coin today as to which 'potentially grossly disappointing or outright thrilling' movie to see today: FORD V FERRARI or MIDWAY.

MIDWAY won, and I wasn't disappointed (the cringe I knew was going to be there was... CGI and Harrelson as Nimitz). As historically accurate as any WWII movie will be.

FvF will be seen next week. Bale looks a great Ken Miles... Shelby should have been played by Matthew McConaughey.

Should have flipped a two headed coin with FvF being heads. The remake of a classic war movie made in the 1970’s with real aircraft, other equipment that was period correct and the best character actors’ of their day is bound to fail. What will they screw up next in the pursuit of cashing in: A Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day, Patton?

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

i’m not a movie-goer; but when i saw the previews for this, i couldn’t picture Woody playing an Admiral. how did he do?  I can think of dozens of actors that i’d rather see in a role like that. 

He was okay playing a hit man in the last movie I saw him in, but playing a four star Admiral is not exactly a role I’d expect him to pull off.

Wb

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 9:18 AM, Pete H said:

I'll be interested in your take after seeing both and how accurately the facts were covered in the movie.  

I finally got the time to watch the documentary on Netflix tonight. More on development of the car, timeframe not compressed like it was in the movie. Henry Ford confirmed as running Ford in the mid 1960’s like Stalin ran the Soviet Union. Documentary said Ford offered $15 million to buy Ferrari, maybe that was the final offer before Enzo sold his controlling interest to Fiat. Original Ford offer was $10 million.

Documentary discussed Ferrari being unhappy with proposed contractual restrictions on where and when Ford’s Racing Team under his control could race, etc. Ferrari did not like this proviso and made the deal with Fiat. Fiat has pretty much stayed out of running the Ferrari Race Team ever since. Definitely while Enzo was alive. Both films were good, the movie more entertaining though.

Wb