RSW-12 Problems...

Audio Android

I've had my RSW stored in the garage for over a year..... Hooked it up and, No sound....Green light comes on but i fear the amp died in storage....Which doesn't make much sense to me but, Ya'know a lot of stuff doesn't make sense to me.... Was working SORTA fine mechanically when i put it away(that's another story) it rattles hard when turned way up and at very low frequencies= sub 32hz.... Electronically it was perfectly fine when stored... If i crank the volume all the way up it has a very low hum.... Ive been going through all the old files here trying to get and find a possible answer but I'm not really seeing anything other than sending it to EdwardsElectronics on eBay.... Anybody have any experience actually going through these BASH amps or have any knowledge of a common area of weakness...???

I sent my RSW-15 Amp to Edwards Electronics several years ago - it worked fine afterwards. For a couple of years - then nothing. I ended up replacing the sub with a SVS PB16-Ultra.

However, I believe my RSW-15 issue is now a loose spade connector. I opened it up to see if I could replace the amp section - with an external amp and saw the loose connection.  I still have it it my basement and have not dragged it back upstairs to test it out. If I do, I am not sure I have space for the 2 subs 🙂

Edwards does a fine job IMO.

Here is my verbatim note to Edwards in 2016 describing my symptoms: 

"I have a 12 (or so) year old Klipsch RSW 15 subwoofer that stopped working a couple of days ago. If I leave it plugged in and switched off for a few minutes and then switch it on - I get a brief red light (less than a second) on the front and then nothing. Sometimes if I leave it plugged in and switched on - the red light will come on and stay on after about 30 to 45 minutes. Will never go green - and, obviously, no sound."

I am in NC too - Piedmont-Triad area.

20 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Did you triple check all connections and settings at the sub and at the receiver?

I always like to run a sub cable to the input of the sub and leave the end that should be hooked up to the preamp / receiver output loose and rub my finger across it if the sub amp is working you'll get a reaction from the sub just make sure the volume is turned down first

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2019 at 10:48 PM, Audio Android said:

Thank you guys.....I completely forgot i posted this... I've removed the amp section, but haven't had time to really go through it yet..... But thank you again for your responses... 

I am reparing my RSW15 bash amp as we speak. replaced several blown/shorted Mosfets. I think I have it working again.  I even had to wind my own L302 inductor.

Have to get a thermistor before I can finish it as it was epoxied to a blown fet.

One of the issues with these amps is that the the power amp is floating at +/-85 V  rails and is a bridge connection   You cannot clamp a scope probe ground to the speaker output.  

I can give you some pointers if you want.   Note that the amp is the same as in JBL HTPS400   The JBL service manual is more complete.  I can send them to you if you want. 

E

• Like 1

18 hours ago, efzauner said:

I can give you some pointers if you want.   Note that the amp is the same as in JBL HTPS400   The JBL service manual is more complete.  I can send them to you if you want. 

Yes please. I'll PM you my email address if the manual is in electronic format.

So my RSW15 is up and running again with a bunch of Mosfet changes as well as winding a new L302. 

Many Fets shorted out including the power diode in the SMPS.  That must have caused the original L302 to overheat causing the previous owner to try to wind his own (badly) without bothering to check for any other problems.   

Great buy at $200 Canadian and $20 in parts!  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So...is it necessary to be a scientist, engineer, or divine intervention to get a rsw15 amp repaired ?? If ANYONE has any info that's current on repairing one please post. I'm bout to hook up a Parasound 2125v2 (400x1 Parasound watts) and set the limit switch on it at 20hz, plug in a sub cable, trigger and move on. It would be nice to have the 15 self contained though.....

1 hour ago, Fish said:

So...is it necessary to be a scientist, engineer, or divine intervention to get a rsw15 amp repaired ?? If ANYONE has any info that's current on repairing one please post. I'm bout to hook up a Parasound 2125v2 (400x1 Parasound watts) and set the limit switch on it at 20hz, plug in a sub cable, trigger and move on. It would be nice to have the 15 self contained though.....

I know Edward's Electronics use to be the go to place for sub amp repairs but haven't heard anything about them for awhile, might try and contact them:

http://edwardselectronics.net/index.html

• Thanks 1