DIY La Scala Driver Options - UK

Robbie010

27 minutes ago, jason str said:

The stock AA crossover is fine.

Those Kappa 15 C should have spacer installed under the gasket, if you look at the stock K-33 or the Crites replacement drivers they have double thick paper gaskets witch the Kappa 15 C does not. Router a spacer (1/4" or a bit thicker is fine if you have it laying around) as wide as the gasket.

Thanks, Jason. 

The kappa’s that I have just bought seem to already have a rather thick gasket in place (see image attached) will I need another gasket as well as this?

1E8ABF1F-DD32-4D7F-8856-C03987B69DCA.png

• 11 months later...

Hi to all

I'm newbie interesting in la scala clone.

I'm reading more about that.

I live in italy and for some stuff is more expensive buy in usa. Only for the indispensable. 

Seems that

Eminence kappa 15c - woofer

Selenium d220/250 or b&c de250 - mid

Beyma cp25 or eminence apt50 - tweeter

(Eminence apt seems similar at crites tweeter)

This could be a good options ...

But the AA crossover will be ok for these stuff or it is necessary modify crossover for the different speakers? 

Thanks

Diego

Diego,

Welcome to the forums!

Tweeters first... The Beyma CP25 is supposed to be pretty good, although it looks like it has be discontinued. The Crites CT125 used the Eminence APT50 driver while it was still being sourced in Europe (Poland I think). When Eminence started making them un the US, they did not measure as well so Bob started getting them from the original manufacturer.

As far as woofers, the Eminence 15C woofer is good, but you will sacrifice more of the low end for better upper bass. If you use a sub, that isn't a problem. Many are happy with LS bass, while some say you definitely need a sub. The Crites 15 inch woofer is a very good match for the AA crossover.

I can't speak to the midrange, other than the Selenium D220ti won't go low enough to mate with the bass bin roll off  The AA crosses to the mid at 400 hz, and very few 1 inch drivers can do that. The D250 also shouldn't be crossed at 400. 

The AA is designed for a 16 ohm mid, so it would need some adjustments in components.

You could go active and make a 2 way with a 2 inch  driver, and adjust for the delays between the woofer and tweeter and correct for phase, etc.

Just some food for thought.

Bruce

3 hours ago, Jazzpassions said:

Thanks for reply Bruce.

Another option for mid is the B&C de250, there is a 16 ohm version. And this is easier to find.

For the bass I can add a bass bin extension, or use an other woofer. 

About the tweeter, the apt50 in italy is cheaper (incredibly) and seems a good option. 

what's wrong with the K55V ----ATLAS PD5VH ,  it's an excellent mids driver , as for the APT 50 , you are not looking at the right tweeter , we are talking of the older APT 50 , The newer one is not very good ----------There are 2 different APT 50 TWEETERS - the old and the new --------

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

as for the APT 50 , you are not looking at the right tweeter , we are talking of the older APT 50

He may be looking at the older one, as he is in Italy. Eminence used to import from Tonsil in Poland until they started making them here.

http://www.tonsilproducent.pl/en/assembly-speakers/tweeters/horn-speaker-driver-t-apt-50-8-ohm-1-35-w

You'll notice they are theaded differently.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Is this the correct one?

I read that a valid upgrade is the beyma ct25, but this is out of stock. 

The mid Atlas will be great. Unfortunately is very difficult find it in europe. And buy it in usa cost not only in shipping but in custom duties.

On 11/30/2020 at 4:05 PM, Jazzpassions said:

Is this the correct one?

I read that a valid upgrade is the beyma ct25, but this is out of stock. 

The mid Atlas will be great. Unfortunately is very difficult find it in europe. And buy it in usa cost not only in shipping but in custom duties.

yeah , this is the correct one ,  made in Poland by Tonsil -pretty close to the K77 , not as hot , but it extends higher and it  can handle way more power

Ok very good. 

For that reason the list is:

Eminence woofer

Atlas or b&c mid 

Apt50 tweeter

I contact tonsil and ship to italy (yeah)

About the beyma cp09 i see that this has lower power respect cp25. And i saw that the beyma was used as upgrade of the original tweeter. Probably i can find a nos beyma cp25.

What about the mid horn? Somebody diy in wood. 

Edited by Jazzpassions

1 hour ago, Jazzpassions said:

Apt50 tweeter

I contact tonsil and ship to italy (yeah)

You will have to get a horn from Tonsil. Bob had a horn made to match the Klipsch K77. My APT 50 I used a larger 50x100 horn and mounted on a baffle on the top of my cabinets. This is a pic of a pair of LS that I sold. The tweeters, being in standalone baffles, are aligned with the mid drivers at the rear of the cabinets.

tweeter.jpg

That's a proverbial can of worms question. My metal horns and plastic horns have the fronts mounted to baffles and I personally don't detect any ringing from them. If the are in free air and only connected to the drivers, that is a different matter.  Many like the wood horns for the aesthetic...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Or an error. I believe it is the same apt50 driver. Would have to contact them.

if both tweeters use the same diaphragm ---(-never checked it )  ---------the rating should be the same , if not , then power rating could differ -and if one Diaphragm uses ferro-fluid and the other does not , same thing -   I think they all had ferro-fluid , it was  the novelty of this tweeter for better heat dissipation