RIP Millard.....

Coytee

Wife tells me one day we have a mouse in the house.  Given we live in the country, that's not far fetched.  Also, given that our cat is getting older AND is missing three of his four canine teeth...  he can't catch them as easily.

She sets a (non-kill) trap.  Checks it a day or so later, and alas....we have a TINY mouse in there.  Looks like a young one from the small size.  I thought it was dead.  She took it down by the lake to get rid of it and it wiggled....so she picks it back up (in a container) and brings it back to the house.  She's spent the last 36 hours nursing it back to health.  She's been feeding it water from an old syringe (with no needle attached), she mashed a banana for him (her?) boiled some carrots and he was nibbling.

This morning, I walk into room & ask her how Millard (he's already been named as she said she didn't know if she could get rid of him)....anyway, so How's Millard doing?

He's drinking.

Just now, go upstairs to get an update and he's evidently died from around 9:00 to now.

So now the quandry begins.  I had this happen to a pet fish once.....I was going to fling the fish into the woods.  She wanted him buried.  So, I drove my backhoe up the hill and with it's 2' bucket, dug a hole and flung him into the hole.  She of course, thought that was overkill....  (I'm conflicted as I felt anything beyond flinging him into the woods was over-kill)

Now, we have this wild mouse that's died.....  will she allow me to fling HIM into the woods?

Guess I better go start my backhoe.

• Haha 2

I've been on the brink of a divorce ever since bringing "Large ugly teenager (Khorns)" home....  then when I replaced them with the plug ugly Jubilee's, I went from the brink to a thread....

and now, you want me to make Millard a cat turd?

Carrot would like that....in fact, he's been in the turd bowl.....  but my wife would snap.

See his eyes?  He's saying Feeeeeeeeeeed me that little turd!!!

Carrot.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Coytee said:

She sets a (non-kill) trap.

This is where the problem started.

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

(I'm conflicted as I felt anything beyond flinging him into the woods was over-kill)

You were 100% right

Many years ago we got the kids a kitten, the next day it jumped off the back of a recliner and died almost instantly, the kids were not home. I walked out and threw it across into the woods, I thought. The next day one of the kids asked me why I threw the cat into the tree instead of burying it ?  Didn't have much of excuse, can't say I tried,  they still remind me of that. 

2 hours ago, dtel said:

The next day one of the kids asked me why I threw the cat into the tree instead of burying it ?  Didn't have much of excuse, can't say I tried,  they still remind me of that. 

Perhaps I'm morbid but I found this to be funny

• Like 1

3 hours ago, babadono said:

I'm in the desert. I think the crows here are happy with just about anything. But let me get this straight, you feed them intentionally? I guess I kind of do too, but only dead varmits.

I feed them old potato chips and dead mice and chicken bones.

JJK

• Like 1

We seem to bury our animals if they've become personal care animals or vs food livestock. House pets too. The rest are tossed in the pasture as an offering to coyotes/vultures in the area. I've become quite numb to dealing with animal death the past few years, especially when the family is watching. It's import tant that my girls experience compassion, sympathy, and the pain of loss while learning how to maintain composure and deal with the task at hand. So I look to them and their level of attachment to the animal for my cues on how the body is handled.

I used the time digging or walking to and from the pasture to mourn the loss of life, vent my frustration if it was a predator induced death, etc.

I've trapped and dispatched my share of mice as well, they're an absolute nuisance. I do empathize with your wife, however, and the death of something which once lived.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Once owned a quaint home in a field that was well endowed with all sorts of critters, loads of mice. There were owls that would hunt the property. It was easy pickings. But the owls dining habits quickly become obnoxious. They’d take their partially dead dinner to the chimney which served the master bedroom. The chimney had a metal flashing and we were regaled with screeching owls, screaming mice/rabbits/etc and the ‘scraping’ of owl claws on metal during all hours of darkness. 

The upside of your problem is your wife’s sentimentality and respect for life. Egads that is a virtue so lacking in too many folks these days. Indulge her and be happy. She indulges your speaker ‘fevers’.

17 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

The upside of your problem is your wife’s sentimentality and respect for life

Tis one of the reasons I married her.  I've never come across anyone that is so high on the empathy/sentimental scale.  

• Thanks 1