Anyone use ANY kind of add on alarm in their house?

avguytx

They are running a 50% off sale this week only, from what I've seen on FB.  But, the majority of reviews on their products, and especially customer service, are awful.  Not to mention people figured out the frequency their door/windows triggers work at and apparently anyone can buy a $2 remote on Amazon and disable sensors.  Although, any kind of alarm, be it home or car, is vulnerable if it uses radio frequency for anything.  Mainly alarms are there just to keep the honest people honest.

I was perusing some sort of an alarm as my wife is saying more about it lately.  If we are home and it makes a noise, they will be welcomed by a dog and multiple guns.  Just curious if anyone else is using them, has used them, etc., and what their pitfalls were/are.

As of 2 years ago, we now use the dual malinois system (aka ADT 1 with backup plan ADT2). The monthly service fee is approximately $40; It's been proven to be very effective, no one comes near the backyard or my daughter when she goes jogging around the neighborhood.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 11:28 AM, avguytx said:

Apparently no one so far uses these.  :D  How about any other style of the "wifi" alarms?  Lifeshield by ADT, Ring, etc.

Had a cold-contact salesman make a good pitch a couple months ago. The strong point of the brand was it operated off of cell phone frequency instead of Wi-Fi. But if the burbs haven't got closer to your new place and you've got a generator to mitigate Wi-Fi downtime that argument might not apply.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I added a rottweiler.  Does that count?

Yep...I would think so.  lol  We have a dog, half Australian Shepard half something else, and she will make growly type noises if she hears something but I don't put much faith in her other than that.  I have a 9mm Baretta on my side of the bed and my wife has a Glock 380 on hers; I just want something that goes off in case a window or door is opened on the other side of the house where you can't hear didley squat from the master bedroom.  

The problem with the UZI is it must be fully loaded and safety off laying next to the bed. You also must be awake. If you haven't been trained for combat or experienced combat you will always hesitate for a second wondering ,"Is something bad happening? Then as you reach for the UZI you catch a bullet in the head. Moral of the story is to have a couple dogs to wake you up to give you time to think a bit. (the dogs don't have batteries) Then let the bullets fly and hope it isn't one of your beloved relatives.

JJK

• Haha 1

Why not just install some motion activated cameras to cover your access points that will alert you if there's any movement?  Outside would be preferable as it would give you plenty of time to wake up, identify the perp visually (as JJ eluded to, make sure it's not a loved one) and then you have the option of 2 way voice communication with the perp or just more time to get to a comfortable shooting position and await entry to neutralize the target.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

The problem with the UZI ...

Haha ... OK; was fully trained on my Uzi ... plus have a small dog to wake me up :D  

Actually, have a FN Five-Seven next to the bed. Uzi (and my other FN P90) are for "post-hurricane" protection :) 

Only room upstairs is my music room and a bathroom; all the main happenings are lower level.  It seems to be that a lot are leaning towards the camera based systems versus an actual alarm system.  I've wired the outside of my house for 8 cameras but haven't gotten the NVR setup to install them yet.  We use hard wired cameras for all of the city buildings and still have a couple of them that are using older CCTV things but are about to switch.

To do a camera system that would detect on movement where I live, which is kind of woodsy and I have 40 acres behind me, many deer roam around a lot at night and that would set them off constantly.  That would piss me off more than anything.  lol  Seems like a lot of the systems want to work with wireless connections but have to be plugged into AC, which is rather stupid to me, versus them being powered via POE from the main NVR.  Maybe there are some other ones out there.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:17 AM, Gilbert said:

As of 2 years ago, we now use the dual malinois system (aka ADT 1 with backup plan ADT2). The monthly service fee is approximately $40; It's been proven to be very effective, no one comes near the backyard or my daughter when she goes jogging around the neighborhood.

I have a couple of ADT signs I'll sell ya for a hundred dollars , that will save you the $40 a month , that's all ya need is a sign or 2 .😊