Anyone use ANY kind of add on alarm in their house?

avguytx

This is not an alarm, but I thought it was a good deterrent for someone in the country. He had a berm built up for shooting in the back side yard that was easy to see from the road. He left some targets hanging to let people know that he had guns and does practice. I thought it was clever.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Trust me, there are only so many dogs I want around the house since it would be me that would have to take care of them all and not the other household members.  ha

Absolutely. Feed and water, take to the vet, pick up their sh*t, hair and dander in the house, accidents. Large dogs = big piles of feces which must be shoveled and disposed of. I have not owned a dog in 24 years mostly because of the hair and dander in the house. Too much of a hassle @ this point in my life. I have a professionally installed home alarm system, monitored 24/7 via cell. And a couple external video cameras and a 800 lb empty weight hard plate gun safe. Common sense living and signage go a long way too.

Long term power failures are my greatest threat (hurricane season and occasional severe weather), then I fall back on the gun safe, homeowner's insurance, and I always have a firearm within my reach, traveling or home. G-22 under my pillow every night. I realize I might be slightly paranoid, but I'm not going down without a fight. I have seen first hand the best of humanity, and the worst. 

Had an active shooter in a TX church with a freakin shotgun just a couple days ago. Armed citizen put him down with one shot to the head, 7 seconds after the shooting started.

7 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Absolutely. Feed and water, take to the vet, pick up their sh*t, hair and dander in the house, accidents. Large dogs = big piles of feces which must be shoveled and disposed of. I have not owned a dog in 24 years mostly because of the hair and dander in the house. Too much of a hassle @ this point in my life. I have a professionally installed home alarm system, monitored 24/7 via cell. And a couple external video cameras and a 800 lb empty weight hard plate gun safe. Common sense living and signage go a long way too.

Long term power failures are my greatest threat (hurricane season and occasional severe weather), then I fall back on the gun safe, homeowner's insurance, and I always have a firearm within my reach, traveling or home. G-22 under my pillow every night. I realize I might be slightly paranoid, but I'm not going down without a fight.

Had an active shooter in a TX church with a freakin shotgun just a couple days ago. Armed citizen put him down with one shot to the head, 7 seconds after the shooting started.

That was an outstanding shot to the head; I especially liked how the hoodie caught all the shrapnel of his head being split open.  lol.  Definitely saved us tax payers a few million bucks worth of him sitting in jail and people questioning him and trying to "rehabilitate" that mess.  Sometimes they just need to go away like how that was done.  Too bad a gunman didn't take out that trash dude in the NY stabbing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, avguytx said:

That was an outstanding shot to the head; I especially liked how the hoodie caught all the shrapnel of his head being split open.  lol.  Definitely saved us tax payers a few million bucks worth of him sitting in jail and people questioning him and trying to "rehabilitate" that mess.  Sometimes they just need to go away like how that was done.  Too bad a gunman didn't take out that trash dude in the NY stabbing.

Absolutely, a precision shot. Guy teaches concealed handgun permit classes and if I remember correct, a retired LEO or military. I saw the video of it and the perp was ~ 12-20' away @ time of shot. Guy said in interview "I terminated the evil". Well done sir!

One thing I failed to point out, video cameras are such a massive tool today in crime prevention or prosecution after the fact. Cameras everywhere today, crime cameras, traffic cams, cams in parking lots, ect.

One aspect of a home vid cam system, be smart enough to hide your dvr or control center, in a closet or out of sight somewhere. If they steal your cam sys dvr too, oh well. Cloud based and/or real time notification/cell phone are an asset too altho I have not personally tried that technology. But a power failure ends this protection, unless you have a considerable battery BU system @ home.

6 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Absolutely, a precision shot. Guy teaches concealed handgun permit classes and if I remember correct, a retired LEO or military. I saw the video of it and the perp was ~ 12-20' away @ time of shot. Guy said in interview "I terminated the evil". Well done sir!

One thing I failed to point out, video cameras are such a massive tool today in crime prevention or prosecution after the fact. Cameras everywhere today, crime cameras, traffic cams, cams in parking lots, ect.

One aspect of a home vid cam system, be smart enough to hide your dvr or control center, in a closet or out of sight somewhere. If they steal your cam sys dvr too, oh well. Cloud based and/or real time notification/cell phone are an asset too altho I have not personally tried that technology. But a power failure ends this protection, unless you have a considerable battery BU system @ home.

Yes, without power or a good backup system, cameras are worthless.  Most homes won't ever have the kind of backup system we have at our IT building as it's way out there.  I look at cameras like I did alarm systems in cars for the 20+ years I sold and installed them....they are there to keep the honest people honest.  You're still going to have that small percentage who will try anyway.

Edited.

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Let's keep this on the subject of alarms please.

Will do.  Sorry about that.  Just a sad day and age we seem to be living in now and a lot of what's happening stems my research more for protecting my family, my belongings, and me.  

the paid cop know there was something wrong with the fake bearded guy in the church , still , he killed 2 of them with his shot gun

next time they will act on the fake beard  and not wait to see if their gut feeling is correct

I'm going to go with a Reolink 8 channel 5mp system that comes with 4 cameras and I'll add 2 more to start out with.  Their sale ends on the 5th I believe.  Just a tad under $400 shipped for everything I believe it was.  Still perusing alarms and will most likely go with Lifeshield by ADT but leave off motion sensors.  I mainly want it to cover all the doors and windows plus a glass sensor and smoke sensor that can work with the whole house wired smoke alarms I already have.   Ring alarms just don't have enough choice to let me leave off sensors and their control panel is quite generic in its looks and mounting.  But, it might work, though...no clue.