New member: Looking at AK6 Klipschorns, any owners? ,

audioquest4life

Howdy all, 

New member here. Been following Klipsch speakers for years; since way back in the 80s when I was stationed in Germany the big Klipsch and Infinity RS series were available in the military audio clubs overseas. I have owned Mirages, JBLs, Polk Audio, Pioneers, and now B&W Nautilus 800s. After the last Capital Audio fest I was floored by the Classic Loudspeaker horns they demonstrated. It brought back memories when we would have barracks music wars with the Klipschorn and Lascalas that Soldiers bought and put them in the barracks, really! 

I have lived with the big B&W 800s for years and drive them with McIntosh MC2301 tube amps with two 1000 watt 15 inch sealed subs from B&W. Now, I am on the pursuit of getting the Klipschorns for my listening tastes. I am so close to pulling the trigger on Legacy Aeris with the wavelet processor, but wow, the horn efficiency and dynamic range is just awesome. I have the space, 33 feet long x 19 feet wide with 8 foot ceilings. 

Would like to know from others who own the latest Klipschorns or even older versions. I keep getting pushback from the wife and others who say that the Klipschorns are ugly compared to the Cherry finished Nautilus 800s, or even the Legacy Aeris,...I tell folks that looks are not everything...it’s the sound I am after, and with an efficient design such as the Klipschorn I look forward to being able to jam out with Stevie Ray Vaughan or Eric Clapton. Don’t get me wrong, my system sounds beautiful as is, but I am interested in a new type of sound and the Klipschorns fit my requirements. I can always buy speakers, my primary components are keepers for life.

mostly analog system for vinyl playback

McIntosh Mc2301

Transrotor Apollon turntable with TMD

SME V with Benz LPs, SME V with Soundsmith Sussaro MKII

Aesthetix IO Signature phono amp

Mcintosh MVP891 SACD blu ray player

Octave Jubilee preamp

PS Audio P10 for amps

PS Audio P5 for sources

Third build over the years. 

custom built room on concrete slab with 3 concrete walls, and with acoustical build parameters; bamboo floors, double wall in rear of room, high density spray foam under joists, Roxul safe and sound on walls and ceiling, resilient channel, quiet rock 540 drywall, green glue wherever possible, 5 dedicated 20 amp circuits. EP 2050 power surge industrial in line filter. It’s a bomb shelter and the wife does not complain when I play loud. 

My handle is derived for the musical journey I have been on since I was a teenager and listened to reel to reel tapes from my stepdad of Santana when he was a Congo drum player and back up player. Been on the Audioquest4life ever since. Hope to meet some folks someday. 

• Like 1

Honestly, with your audio experience and knowledge, your equipment, your room configuration and build-out, I strongly suggest you look at Klipsch Jubilees.  I own Khorns, La Scalas, etc, etc, etc, and if I had your room etc, that's what I would pursue.  WAF is likely even less than Khorns, but the sound of Jubilees more than makes up for that.

• Like 3

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. I read the German review of the newest version and they received a top rating in almost all rated areas...this was in the German magazine Audio (01/19). They also stated that these new versions could be best newest horns in the world...that’s a testament, especially since Avant Garde is in their neck of the woods. When my wife met me, I had Polk Audio SDA 2s, she couldn’t wait for me to ditch them, sold them before returning to the US from Germany. Glad that there are many others who like the Klipschorns as well. 

6 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Honestly, with your audio experience and knowledge, your equipment, your room configuration and build-out, I strongly suggest you look at Klipsch Jubilees.  I own Khorns, La Scalas, etc, etc, etc, and if I had your room etc, that's what I would pursue.  WAF is likely even less than Khorns, but the sound of Jubilees more than makes up for that.

Thank you for the reply. I did read your sentiments concerning the Jubilee and was very enthralled. I understand that the current versions are more home theater versions and not quite like the Uber music horns that the Jubilee was originally intended for...if I am off the mark, please by all means inform me, as I am just now getting serious about the intricacies of the upper echelon Klipsch horns. You in Michigan? Wife is from there in a small town called Newyago. 

52 minutes ago, audioquest4life said:

Thank you for the reply. I did read your sentiments concerning the Jubilee and was very enthralled. I understand that the current versions are more home theater versions and not quite like the Uber music horns that the Jubilee was originally intended for...if I am off the mark, please by all means inform me, as I am just now getting serious about the intricacies of the upper echelon Klipsch horns. You in Michigan? Wife is from there in a small town called Newyago. 

Well, I'm not sure where the Jubilee home theater slant has come from, but I still believe that in many respects that the Jubilee is the finest speaker that Klipsch has ever produced.

I currently reside approximately 10 miles south of the Michigan border in Indiana, but was raised in Michigan.  I spent many summers on Emerald Lake in Newaygo.  Many of my fondest memories are of that time.

Welcome to the forum!

The Jubilee was originally intended to be the "New Klipschorn."  Paul Klipsch worked on it.  After Paul's death at about 97/98 years old, chief engineer Roy Delgado continued to refine it.  It is meant to be an "Uber music horn."   See Chris A"s many posts here, particularly this one

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/182997-an-unofficial-klipsch-jubilee-buyers-guide/&tab=comments#comment-2374191

Chris is a great resource, and needless to say has Jubilees.

Don't get me wrong, I have Klipschorns, and love them!  I'm listening to the Firebird on them right now, and they sound so much like the various orchestras I've played in, it's amazing.  I use them for both music listening and home theater -- with Audyssey and painstaking set-up they sound great.  My wife thinks they both look and sound beautiful!

Both the new Klipschorns and the Jubilees have closed backs,  BUT, they should be in corners, very close to the walls.  An air tight seal is no longer needed, so they can be toed in toward the listener.

Is there a link to the article reviewing Klipschorns in the German magazine Audio that you could send us?  I don't seem to be able to find it here.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi,

Extract of the tests at the importer Osiris, for AK6, Cornwall III, Heresy III: click on mehr erfahren >>

https://osirisaudio.de/tests-fachpresse/

if you can read German

https://www.pressreader.com/germany/audio/20181207/283394832891101

List

https://www.gauderakustik.com/images/Gauder_Bilder/Bestenlisten/AUDIO Bestenliste Gauder 2019.pdf

:)

Wow, that was a good read. The reviewer summed it up best when he stated “do we have one of the best horn speakers in the world before us.” Hatten wir hier vielleicht 

den besten Lautsprecher der Welt vor uns?

One thing I noticed outside of the other great superlatives given to the new Klipschorns is that they noted that maybe guitars seemed less “flirrig”, which I think means less flirty, than other speakers in the price class. I am not sure how you can have such a great speaker with low distortion and great dynamics, and fine details and lack guitar energy. Maybe it was a very critical comment based on extreme critical listening. They jammed out to Joe Bonammosa and enjoyed it, so they must have been critical of one aspect of the sound of guitars, but not sure what. Anyway, just listening to the Khorns, they were engaged and truly liked the sound overall. Great endorsement. 

17 hours ago, audioquest4life said:

I tell folks that looks are not everything...it’s the sound I am after, and with an efficient design such as the Klipschorn I look forward to being able to jam out with Stevie Ray Vaughan or Eric Clapton. Don’t get me wrong, my system sounds beautiful as is, but I am interested in a new type of sound and the Klipschorns fit my requirements. I can always buy speakers, my primary components are keepers for life.

...then I'd strongly recommend going to listen to a pair of AK6s at a dealer shop.  It's enough money that it's worth your time and effort.

I'd also recommend hearing Jubilees.  Here are some locations: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/123912-jubilee-locations-for-possible-auditions/&do=findComment&comment=1369716.  That kind of buyers remorse is a terrible disease to witness, much less experience, especially if you're continually kicking yourself because someone told you before your purchase that there was something even better, for slightly less money, and taking up the same real estate in-room. 

Chris

• Like 2

19 hours ago, audioquest4life said:

I understand that the current versions are more home theater versions and not quite like the Uber music horns that the Jubilee was originally intended for...if I am off the mark, please by all means inform me, as I am just now getting serious about the intricacies of the upper echelon Klipsch horns. 

You are off the mark.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@audioquest4life Sounds like a great ride to date. The description of the room even empty sounds sublime. Obviously for you the cost of new vs uses is not an issue and I totally understand wanting to scratch that Khorn itch. For so many of us growing up and visiting a Klipsch dealer and coming home with Heresy, Cornwall, Forte, Corus, etc. the Khorn was what we dreamt of. However, there has to be at least 10-15 people on this forum that currently own Jubilees. I'd bet 90% if not all of them had Khorns or La Scalas at prior. That speaks volumes.

I had my khorns for 14 or 15 years and loved them. Sold them in 2018 with the intent of getting Jubilees eventually. Right now I'm in a learning phase with an active 2-way set up....but I see the light. I believe Jubilees are the end game and I've still not heard a pair. The Klipsch big horn sound is not for everyone but if you like it then the logical end of the road is Jubilee.

I would strongly consider getting a set of used Khorns just so that box is checked and you can look back without regrets. After having them a few months put in the order for the Jubilee and wait for them to be built. You will be 6-8 months down the road having sold the used Khorns for what you bought them for and end up with "better Khorns".

EDIT: I think I seem to remember recently, somebody wanting to sell a pair of AK-5 Khorns in really fantastic shape. No dusty old horns/XOs to clean up and no wondering about freshening up anything. Let along planted pot water rings they were lookers. Check the Garage Sale section and jump in the car for an adventure. Can't wait to hear how this all shakes out for you.

• Like 2

• Moderators
22 hours ago, audioquest4life said:

I understand that the current versions are more home theater versions and not quite like the Uber music horns that the Jubilee was originally intended for...if I am off the mark, please by all means inform me, as I am just now getting serious about the intricacies of the upper echelon Klipsch horns.

Yes off the mark, the Jubilee is the best klipsch produces, I never said prettiest but the best for sound quality, easily.

The Klipschorn is also a great speaker, just not the best from Klipsch if your thinking "sound quality" as a first priority........  second best

It's going to come down to looks, I understand it is important to some people, both are great speakers. Between the two you can't really go wrong, at this point it's a personal choice as what you want your room to look like.

Great feedback all, thank you. I will definitely try to find a way to audition these someday soon. Anyone with Jubilees close to Manassas Virginia, or within a day drive? I also go to Michigan frequently so that is not out of the question either. Have you noticed the trend in Japanese audio lately, or for years for that matter? The Japanese audio enthusiasts seemed to have embraced horns earlier and more so than Americans. Just an observation from many European Audio forums I visit. I was once under the spell of regular speakers, but it’s all an illusion. 

31 minutes ago, audioquest4life said:

Great feedback all, thank you. I will definitely try to find a way to audition these someday soon. Anyone with Jubilees close to Manassas Virginia, or within a day drive? I also go to Michigan frequently so that is not out of the question either. Have you noticed the trend in Japanese audio lately, or for years for that matter? The Japanese audio enthusiasts seemed to have embraced horns earlier and more so than Americans. Just an observation from many European Audio forums I visit. I was once under the spell of regular speakers, but it’s all an illusion. 

I'm in 19363 if you wanted to take a trek up....   

15 minutes ago, MisterVego said:

I'm in 19363 if you wanted to take a trek up.... 

Sorry for the Hijack,

Really!!?? You are closer to me than the Dansko Company Store that my wife always wants to hit up when we drive between Harford County, MD and Kennett Square PA for lunch on a lazy Saturday afternoon? I ride my bicycle all over US Rt 1 in MD and PA. You are virtually right around the corner from me. PM coming in the near future if I can be so bold as to invite myself. Digital/Vinyl, Tubes/SS, Active/Passive, Beer/Bourbon inquiring minds want to know?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rplace said:

Sorry for the Hijack,

Really!!?? You are closer to me than the Dansko Company Store that my wife always wants to hit up when we drive between Harford County, MD and Kennett Square PA for lunch on a lazy Saturday afternoon? I ride my bicycle all over US Rt 1 in MD and PA. You are virtually right around the corner from me. PM coming in the near future if I can be so bold as to invite myself. Digital/Vinyl, Tubes/SS, Active/Passive, Beer/Bourbon inquiring minds want to know?

Small world!   Digital & Vinyl but more of a vinyl rig... Hybrid System, Tube Preamp, and SS amps...  Active and yes I enjoy both!