Steaks prepared inside

mr clean

The wife wanted steak for lunch, but the wind was strong outside. I told her I would fix them indoors. They turned out perfect. I heated up the oven to 450 for about 20 minutes, with a cast iron skillet inside. The turned the broiler on for about 5 minutes on hi. Put the steaks in the skillet for 4 minutes on each side. Anyone else do something like this or how do you do them?  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Cast iron grill pan on the burner.  Rarely do I do anything al forno.

I did it the Old Timer way.....was one of the best steaks I've ever had....certainly was the best I've ever made.  It did however REALLY smoke the place up (I mean SERIOULY smoke the place)

The trick as I understand it is to put the cast iron skillet on the stove....turn stove up to 100% high and let the skillet get scorching hot, then slap it down. (at least that's how I did it)

• Like 2

Cast iron is the preferred method to cook steaks at our house too.

I use a jaccard tenderizer on all my meat (steak, chicken, pork ect..) prior to cooking, makes things very tender. I like to season steaks with black pepper and Garlic salt.

Preheat the pan on the burner at med high heat to almost smoking, add a teaspoon of Avocado oil and heat the oil until it shimmers.

2 1/2 to 3 minutes per side for medium rare perfection.

Love my cast iron pan, even though the smoke detector usually goes off. lol

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, crunchman12001 said:

Cast iron is the preferred method to cook steaks at our house too.

I use a jaccard tenderizer on all my meat (steak, chicken, pork ect..) prior to cooking, makes things very tender. I like to season steaks with black pepper and Garlic salt.

Preheat the pan on the burner at med high heat to almost smoking, add a teaspoon of Avocado oil and heat the oil until it shimmers.

2 1/2 to 3 minutes per side for medium rare perfection.

Love my cast iron pan, even though the smoke detector usually goes off. lol

I usually do them on top. I saw basically what I did on a show a few years ago. It works well also. Doing both sides at the same time. 

• Like 1

There are a few months of the year where I can't even find my BBQ for snow.

Google 'Sous Vide'.

Got this https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-ITC-1000/dp/B00OXPE8U6/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2E6KOECFF4L3Q&keywords=inkbird+temperature+controller&qid=1574380394&sprefix=inkbird%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-7

The cheapskate version-(Inkbird has 'built' versions)

The beauty of this is - you can heat the steaks to 130 D for med rare for 1-2-3 hrs and then toss them into a buttered smokin hot cast iron frying pan and

"blacken" each side for 30 seconds or so. No tenting! Everybody gets to to eat at the same time.

I've only done this with at least 1 - 1 1/2 in thick cuts of decent quality meat.

So good and predictable I even use this method in the summertime.

Enjoy.

IMG_0989.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Madman1 said:

Just purchased a ninja foodie grill. Cooked Salmon last night and it did awesome.

8 min preheat the 6 minutes to cook no flipping. Can’t wait to try cooking all kinds of stuff in this. It grills, air frys, dehydrates and bakes. 

Where was the salmon from and was there skin on one side?

JJK

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NADman said:

There are a few months of the year where I can't even find my BBQ for snow.

Google 'Sous Vide'.

Got this https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-ITC-1000/dp/B00OXPE8U6/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2E6KOECFF4L3Q&keywords=inkbird+temperature+controller&qid=1574380394&sprefix=inkbird%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-7

The cheapskate version-(Inkbird has 'built' versions)

The beauty of this is - you can heat the steaks to 130 D for med rare for 1-2-3 hrs and then toss them into a buttered smokin hot cast iron frying pan and

"blacken" each side for 30 seconds or so. No tenting! Everybody gets to to eat at the same time.

I've only done this with at least 1 - 1 1/2 in thick cuts of decent quality meat.

So good and predictable I even use this method in the summertime.

Enjoy.

IMG_0989.JPG

Came here to say sous vide is a very good way to cook steaks at home, you can get a steak to damn near perfect temp everytime.  I cook for a living at a country club, and happen to cook new york strip everday, will vouch for the sous vide!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Coytee said:

The trick as I understand it is to put the cast iron skillet on the stove....turn stove up to 100% high and let the skillet get scorching hot, then slap it down. (at least that's how I did it)

If you cover each side in seasoning, add a spoon of butter or oil right before you add the meat, it's how you blacken something, like when blacken redfish became popular. Steak, fish, thin cut duck or just about anything, it's the only way I eat duck.

Do NOT do this inside, it makes a nice white smoke, the kind that takes your breath away quickly, no way to stay in the house. Always did it outside, made the mistake once after years of not doing it to do it inside, not good at all.

• Like 1

For me only (many others disagree) Sous Vide is really only good for Chicken, fish and pork. I'm more of a crusty exterior, rare interior person. I have found that the best way to get that inside is to use the oven broiler to crust them up, then finish with convection until I hit the proper internal temp. My oven does have an infrared broiler with a convection mode so you have to monitor it very carefully during that phase. 

• Like 2

I dig cast iron as well, though I cook em on the gas stove top.  Get the oil slightly smoking,  oiled seasoned steak thrown in, depending on thickness, about 4 minutes per side. If it is a thick slab, finish in a hot oven for a time.   After the first flip, toss on a pad of butter and a big sprig of fresh Rosemary for the last 4 minutes.  I have no doubt soux vide is an effective method, though in this day and age,  I would prefer my food not be slow cooked in a plastic bag.     

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Where was the salmon from and was there skin on one side?

JJK

I’m pretty sure this came from Costco but, I can’t swear to that. This didn’t have skin on it but, it wouldn’t change the cooking procedure. Air fried some wings and sweet potato tots yesterday (these were flipped and tossed) and I see that there will definitely be some experimenting with the cook times. This thing gets super hot and can easily over cook your food. 

1 hour ago, Madman1 said:

I’m pretty sure this came from Costco but, I can’t swear to that. This didn’t have skin on it but, it wouldn’t change the cooking procedure. Air fried some wings and sweet potato tots yesterday (these were flipped and tossed) and I see that there will definitely be some experimenting with the cook times. This thing gets super hot and can easily over cook your food. 

The reason I asked is that the salmon from Chile is farmed in cess pools and loaded with anti antibiotics. I did get sick on it.

JJK

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mr clean said:

The wife wanted steak for lunch, but the wind was strong outside. I told her I would fix them indoors. They turned out perfect. I heated up the oven to 450 for about 20 minutes, with a cast iron skillet inside. The turned the broiler on for about 5 minutes on hi. Put the steaks in the skillet for 4 minutes on each side. Anyone else do something like this or how do you do them?  

we do same as Oldtimer whenever weather makes BBQ'ing outside unpleasant, but my wife won't use my cast iron (camping gear) pots and pans, complains it's too heavy.

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

my wife won't use my cast iron (camping gear) pots and pans, complains it's too heavy.

I bet if she found you with the neighbor she could swing that cast iron pan like a Ninja. :o

• Haha 2