Steaks prepared inside

mr clean

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

The reason I asked is that the salmon from Chile is farmed in cess pools and loaded with anti antibiotics. I did get sick on it.

JJK

Everyone needs to start looking on the back of any package of protein for that dreaded line.   Avoid anything grown or raised in Asia, if you're going to put it in you belly.

http://chinawatchcanada.blogspot.com/2017/02/asian-seafood-raised-on-pig-feces.html

fish.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

The reason I asked is that the salmon from Chile is farmed in cess pools and loaded with anti antibiotics. I did get sick on it.

JJK

farmed salmon is junk. Wrong color [dye added] and way wrong genetics [eel genes in it for 3X growth]

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

For me only (many others disagree) Sous Vide is really only good for Chicken, fish and pork. I'm more of a crusty exterior, rare interior person. I have found that the best way to get that inside is to use the oven broiler to crust them up, then finish with convection until I hit the proper internal temp. My oven does have an infrared broiler with a convection mode so you have to monitor it very carefully during that phase. 

Just curious, do you make that statement based on your experience actually cooking Sous Vide or based on what you read?  If you are a "rare" meat eater, then I find it interesting that you wouldn't be an advocate for cooking a steak in such a way as to guaranteeing that the steak is rare top to bottom while also being able to control the specific amount of caramelizing that occurs on the outside via, high temp grilling or torching the meat when it is perfectly cooked.  

I have, with extreme success, grilled and smoked meat for decades, but if you're taking a 2-3 inch thick filet and attempting to cook that rare or even medium rare using traditional methods versus sous vide, IMHO, there's nobody that can produce the same results as far as consistency in how it's cooked top to bottom without that method or by an extremely precise reverse sear method which is much more difficult to produce consistent results.  I would suggest that you give it another shot and I don't think you'll have the same opinion. Just a different view.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max2 said:

Everyone needs to start looking on the back of any package of protein for that dreaded line.   Avoid anything grown or raised in Asia, if you're going to put it in you belly.

http://chinawatchcanada.blogspot.com/2017/02/asian-seafood-raised-on-pig-feces.html

fish.jpg

I've been to a few fish farms, and refuse to eat farm raised anything...... unless it walks on 4 legs, or clucks like a chicken.  My sister worked for the USDA for 28 yrs., as a vet her job took her to many of these kinds of places, from chicken farms in AR, to salmon farms in BC, Canada.  I don't touch that crap, you couldn't pay me to eat it.  Even with all our regulations in place, our own chicken farms are gross.....   now consider Mexico or China's standards..... NO THANK YOU

56 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I've been to a few fish farms, and refuse to eat farm raised anything...... unless it walks on 4 legs, or clucks like a chicken.  My sister worked for the USDA for 28 yrs., as a vet her job took her to many of these kinds of places, from chicken farms in AR, to salmon farms in BC, Canada.  I don't touch that crap, you couldn't pay me to eat it.  Even with all our regulations in place, our own chicken farms are gross.....   now consider Mexico or China's standards..... NO THANK YOU

I grew up in my childish years back in the 70's working in chicken houses, whether on the wrong end of a snow shovel or running a bobcat loader skimming the dirt floor free of the Chicken/Turkey litter.  The rest of the time I would ride in deliveries with my two uncles in bob trucks spreading shavings, saw dust or rice hulls in chicken house floors once they were clean. This all went down in North west AR.  After the truck was filled with the litter we had scraped, we would then go and spread it in hay pastures, so you got to enjoy the aroma once again. 

The odor in the houses was apocalyptic in the hot summer months and was pretty damaging on lungs for all in this trade. The dust and dried fecal matter was bad and you add the eye burning sensation and smell of ammonia and you better believe you earned your money.   Im not a huge fan of Chicken or any fowl these days. They will eat literally anything, including a fallen dead comrade that has gone unseen from the house owner, just because they had them packed so tightly in there, you couldn't see a speck of floor anywhere.  

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Max2 said:

I grew up in my childish years back in the 70's working in chicken houses, whether on the wrong end of a snow shovel or running a bobcat loader skimming the dirt floor free of the Chicken/Turkey litter.  The rest of the time I would ride in deliveries with my two uncles in bob trucks spreading shavings, saw dust or rice hulls in chicken house floors once they were clean. This all went down in North west AR.  After the truck was filled with the litter we had scraped, we would then go and spread it in hay pastures, so you got to enjoy the aroma once again. 

The odor in the houses was apocalyptic in the hot summer months and was pretty damaging on lungs for all in this trade. The dust and dried fecal matter was bad and you add the eye burning sensation and smell of ammonia and you better believe you earned your money.   Im not a huge fan of Chicken or any fowl these days. They will eat literally anything, including a fallen dead comrade that has gone unseen from the house owner, just because they had them packed so tightly in there, you couldn't see a speck of floor anywhere.  

You are not kidding about the conditions.  Chicken and Turkey farms in my past and that's where they're going to stay.  Still hate the smell of poultry farms, but love the smell of them cooking.  

• Haha 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Max2 said:

The dust and dried fecal matter was bad and you add the eye burning sensation and smell of ammonia and you better believe you earned your money.

Once at Rodney's I went to see what he was doing in the chicken houses with the tractor. He was picking up a layer of what was left on the floor between chickens, I was upwind apparently because when I got to the door all you could smell was ammonia. It was so strong I couldn't understand how he could be in there that long working, if it was only a little bit flammable it would have blown up long before it was so strong.

When he spreads it out on the fields that chicken poop smell not the ammonia smell, it spreads out especially at night, it's everywhere. 

8 hours ago, Pete H said:

Just curious, do you make that statement based on your experience actually cooking Sous Vide or based on what you read?  If you are a "rare" meat eater, then I find it interesting that you wouldn't be an advocate for cooking a steak in such a way as to guaranteeing that the steak is rare top to bottom while also being able to control the specific amount of caramelizing that occurs on the outside via, high temp grilling or torching the meat when it is perfectly cooked.  

I have, with extreme success, grilled and smoked meat for decades, but if you're taking a 2-3 inch thick filet and attempting to cook that rare or even medium rare using traditional methods versus sous vide, IMHO, there's nobody that can produce the same results as far as consistency in how it's cooked top to bottom without that method or by an extremely precise reverse sear method which is much more difficult to produce consistent results.  I would suggest that you give it another shot and I don't think you'll have the same opinion. Just a different view.  

100% first hand experience.  We have some +$200 sous vide, a sous vide pot, all that jazz. I PERSONALLY (as I thought I clearly stated) don't like it for steak. It's ok, not knocking it sir. I like a bark on the exterior and warm red center. That's all. 

Defending sous vide on an audio forum is a hoot.  I also like solid state amps....😀😁😂🤣😃😄😅😆

• Haha 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, mr clean said:

Just checked the smoker. Man that hickory wood smells so good!!!!

Did a pork loin a couple days ago, started with a little Oak and added Hickory next. It sure does smell great, it's my favorite wood to use.

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Did a pork loin a couple days ago, started with a little Oak and added Hickory next. It sure does smell great, it's my favorite wood to use.

Just checked it and added some charcoal. Im using a weber smokey mountain. Always thought I would outgrow this but its just me and the wife most the time. I added 4 pool ball sized chunks of hickory. Theres a website called the virtual weber bullet that helps new owners and lots of good recipes even if you don't. Some go hot and fast on there but im a low and slow kind of guy. Its purring along at 244F right now and im going back to bed. Should be done about 11 AM but I know BBQ is done when its done.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com

7 hours ago, mr clean said:

I have looked at pics, where they raise chickens above tilapia ponds, and thought that was gross. On a positive note, I just stuck a 9 lb pork butt on the smoker!!

image.thumb.png.765bcc8acca28265d3debeda689f61cf.png

Oh No! I eat Talapia fish all the time. I wondered why I walk like a chicken.

JJK

9 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

100% first hand experience.  We have some +$200 sous vide, a sous vide pot, all that jazz. I PERSONALLY (as I thought I clearly stated) don't like it for steak. It's ok, not knocking it sir. I like a bark on the exterior and warm red center. That's all. 

Defending sous vide on an audio forum is a hoot.  I also like solid state amps....😀😁😂🤣😃😄😅😆

That there's funny.  No nothing negative meant at all.  I like SS amps too. 

14 hours ago, dtel said:

Once at Rodney's I went to see what he was doing in the chicken houses with the tractor. He was picking up a layer of what was left on the floor between chickens, I was upwind apparently because when I got to the door all you could smell was ammonia. It was so strong I couldn't understand how he could be in there that long working, if it was only a little bit flammable it would have blown up long before it was so strong.

When he spreads it out on the fields that chicken poop smell not the ammonia smell, it spreads out especially at night, it's everywhere. 

Its amazing what the litter will do for a Hay field.  It takes a long time for that smell to die down. My Grandparent had two houses 100 yards from their house and the smell just seemed to never go away until a year or two after they retired.  There are some companies that take the chicken slurry from the plants and pump it about 18 inches in the ground for planting fields. A big cutter with a tank cart  is pulled behind a tractor which  I figure its just for Milo or Alfalfa and what not, but heck they may be doing it for edible Soy beans now for all I know.  You wouldn't think they would allow that though

27 minutes ago, Bigdnfay1 said:

Cooking most anything in cast iron is the bomb. even though I love my carcinogens.

D

Lol,  Ditch those non stick coated pans and look for a nice Carbon Steel pan instead.  This will do everything that a non stick does, but without that carcinogen finish.

• Like 1