Help picking a center!!

DanMinnesota

Currently have 2 R-820-F towers, a single pair of bookshelf R-51-M, and an R-120SW, powered by a Denon AVR-S950H (125 rms/channel). My current center channel was donated for free and is a Klipsch KSF-C5 and you can tell it doesn't fit with the rest. I'd like to stay under $500. I can get a smoking deal on an RC-62 II ($270) or I'm also considering an R-34-C ($399 and not on sale). Which of these would be best? Or is there another option I should go with?

38 minutes ago, DanMinnesota said:

Or is there another option I should go with?

First of all, welcome to the forums!

You have chosen wisely in wanting to upgrade your center speaker.  Ninety percent of movies/TV is dialog and 90% of the dialog comes out of the center.  I encourage you to get the best center speaker you can afford.  Timbre matching is over rated, IMO.

I am not up on the latest prices of center speakers.  I know the 504C is well thought of, and the expensive flagship RC-64 III is the king of the Klipsch centers.  I own the RC-64 III.  If you can find one on the used market in your price range, go for it.

In terms of specifics I suggest you send a PM to either @MetropolisLakeOutfitters or @Scrappydue, our local on-line Klipsch dealers who are also regular forum guys.  Cory and Steve can give you a better idea of what's best for your budget than I.  I've bought speakers from Cory and his prices and service are top notch.

Good luck!

591494550_RP-600Mbi-amprightsideview_800.thumb.jpg.b8712124600503367435c1ae83b68773.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the warm welcome! 

I appreciate the advice and bringing my attention to the 504C. A little higher than planning, but at least not triple like the big dog you mention with RC-64 III haha This is my first jump into Klipsch (finally), and will eventually be my garage setup. I plan on doing a full theater years down the road where the RC- 64 III and other upgrades will definitely be had. 

Do you happen to know the layman's definition for the difference in passive 3-way versus 2-way when it comes to center channels? And which would you suggest? The 504C appears to be 3 way. My setup is in a roughly 13' deep by 20' wide "family" room.

Thank you in advance good sir!

Edited by DanMinnesota
Misspoke
  • Like 1

@DanMinnesota,

Welcome to the forum.

4 hours ago, DanMinnesota said:

Do you happen to know the layman's definition for the difference in passive 3-way versus 2-way when it comes to center channels? And which would you suggest? The 504C appears to be 3 way.

The 504C is actually a 2.5 way speaker, I think.  The lowest frequencies are produced by all 4 woofers, which then is passed off to just 2 woofers and then on to the tweeter horn.

Klipsch-Reference-Premiere-RP-450C.jpg

The RP-450C is the previous generation RP-504C.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Initially, I would've said go for the r-34c since you have the r-820f as your fronts. Having the best matching LCR is very important. But then I read your other post in this thread saying you want to upgrade your entire system once more. Now, I'm thinking you should just wait and continue saving up the money until some great deals comes along. If your center right now is really unbearable, than just get the cheapest one you can for now.

• Thanks 1

So do you think it would be unwise to add the 504C as my center to this setup? When I mentioned the upgrade, literally the entire system will be replaced at once, but that's many years away. So for now, I would like the best fit for the current setup from above, not necessarily just the best center available. 

4 minutes ago, DanMinnesota said:

Yessir, technically a Cali native but been in MN since I was 4. I'm actually an old neighbor of yours then, a few miles away in Sartell!

Awesome!  Most of my family is still in St. Cloud.  Going there Wednesday to visit and hopefully buying a new TV at Best Buy while we're there. 

I worked at DJ Bitzan Jewelers for almost 20 years before selling our house and moving out here.