Why I'm Mad At Deang!!!!!

kevinmi

I had Dean build me some custom crossovers for my custom K-Horns a while back. I needed them to be adjustable since I'm using different drivers and horns. I had been using and older pair of home built universal type crossovers with Dayton and Sonicaps capacitors. After I got the new crossovers, I started listening and tried different attenuation settings on the mids and highs(with ALK tweeter attenuators in the mix). I tried at least 1047.2 different combinations over the next few months until I got the sound right. Much of that was due to the fact that the caps were still "burning in", along with my ears getting used to the sound. I am a firm believer that 100 hours is minimum acceptable time for a decent settling in on components and ears.

This is where I start getting mad. After getting everything dialed in, I started noticing bothersome room reflections, and a nagging wife in the other room telling me to turn it down. I realized that the sound was so much clearer that I kept turning up the volume until I was overwhelming the room with too much sound! Another annoying thing is that I was hearing so much more detail that I had to listen to all my favorite LP's over again as if they were never heard before. Here's the last straw. I am a vinyl only kind of guy, but my dog likes to jump off the couch and skip my records from time to time. So one day I decided to throw in a cd so I could have some music playing without worries of doggie destroying a precious lp. I'll be damned if that cd didn't sound good. Or the next ten. How am I ever going to live with myself?

It is truly amazing how much better my system sounds with the new crossovers. I don't think Dean gets enough credit sometimes, and people tend to think his prices are too high when they can get  other peoples crossovers so much cheaper. The components Dean chooses are not cheap, and he has done his homework on the synergy between parts that makes his products shine. 

xovers 004 25.jpg

K-Horns 002-30.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Deang said:

Well done! Auricaps and Audiocaps -- it will sound killer. I'm guessing that's your 400/4500 set?

I will subtract points if you hack those. lol.

Yeah, those are my old 4500's I'm going to play with, since I'm retired and bored.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

He's a bad guy.  Plenty of evidence to support that around here, especially when he starts drinking bourbon (Nice setup man, and as usual, killer work dean!) 

Hey, I'm happy when I'm sipping - not nearly as cranky as I usually am!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I told Dean he was in charge and to make 'em sing and now I've got a choir!  Couldn't be happier brother!  Thanks again!  Love it when someone asks, "Now what kind of speakers are those again?"  Then I add that this cranky old solder Meister cranked out my networks.  They say, "Huh?"  I laff and said nm but if you REALLY wanna know.   hahaha  One fish at a time!  :)

On 11/22/2019 at 12:42 PM, kevinmi said:

I had Dean build me some custom crossovers for my custom K-Horns a while back. I needed them to be adjustable since I'm using different drivers and horns. I had been using and older pair of home built universal type crossovers with Dayton and Sonicaps capacitors. After I got the new crossovers, I started listening and tried different attenuation settings on the mids and highs(with ALK tweeter attenuators in the mix). I tried at least 1047.2 different combinations over the next few months until I got the sound right. Much of that was due to the fact that the caps were still "burning in", along with my ears getting used to the sound. I am a firm believer that 100 hours is minimum acceptable time for a decent settling in on components and ears.

This is where I start getting mad. After getting everything dialed in, I started noticing bothersome room reflections, and a nagging wife in the other room telling me to turn it down. I realized that the sound was so much clearer that I kept turning up the volume until I was overwhelming the room with too much sound! Another annoying thing is that I was hearing so much more detail that I had to listen to all my favorite LP's over again as if they were never heard before. Here's the last straw. I am a vinyl only kind of guy, but my dog likes to jump off the couch and skip my records from time to time. So one day I decided to throw in a cd so I could have some music playing without worries of doggie destroying a precious lp. I'll be damned if that cd didn't sound good. Or the next ten. How am I ever going to live with myself?

It is truly amazing how much better my system sounds with the new crossovers. I don't think Dean gets enough credit sometimes, and people tend to think his prices are too high when they can get  other peoples crossovers so much cheaper. The components Dean chooses are not cheap, and he has done his homework on the synergy between parts that makes his products shine. 

xovers 004 25.jpg

K-Horns 002-30.jpg

Those horns!!! Tell me more about those horns.

20 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I've been interested in what a cost is no object set of crossovers would sound like. Someone have them built so I can come over and hear them, please!

I had them built years ago for my upgraded Khorns, after going all active I sold them for roughly half of what I had in them.

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Diminishing returns. "Cost no object" filters would cost more than a pair of 402s with beryllium loaded compression drivers. 

With my old ears it would definitely be a waste of money. One always wonders where the cutoff point is between cost vs results.