R820 question

Rob Par

12 hours ago, Rob Par said:

i have a Sony De945 with 110w ouput. will this power an R820? R820 spec says 150w constant... 

Specs for the speakers are "Up To" and considering how loud it gets with just a few watts, unless you are in a big room, 100 clean watts is more than adequate.  The times you get in trouble is when you start adding with EQ or other controls.  That requires significantly more power and since it may be hard to tell when distortion kicks in, things start to break.

Slightly insane loudness in a moderate sized room is capable so I wouldn't be too worried.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rob Par said:

So then really the 620's at 100w constant would be a little small for my system?

What do you mean by small?  Pay no attention to the power handling of the speakers you're looking at.  With any Klipsch floorstanding speaker 100 watts into them will drive them way above 100 decibels which can cause permanent hearing loss if you listen to them that loud for long periods of time.

8 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

What do you mean by small?  Pay no attention to the power handling of the speakers you're looking at.  With any Klipsch floorstanding speaker 100 watts into them will drive them way above 100 decibels which can cause permanent hearing loss if you listen to them that loud for long periods of time.

What I meant is, if I am sending 110w to a speaker with a constant of 100w I risk the potential of blowing them easier..?

38 minutes ago, Rob Par said:

What I meant is, if I am sending 110w to a speaker with a constant of 100w I risk the potential of blowing them easier..?

You will doubtfully be sending 110 watts to those speakers.  Plus music isn't a continual sine wave of sound.  It has peaks and valleys.  Not continual.

None the less, unless you crank the volume control into a distortion prone area with a large room or like to risk your ears, you won't approach 110 watts continual.  That of course doesn't mean you won't hit 110 watts on transients but those transient peaks should be far and few between.  

Matching the output of an amplifier to the input capability **continuous** of a speaker is useless.  Many times what manufacturers put as continuous isn't worth relying on.  Listen for distortions and your Sony will let you know, turn it down if you hear untoward stuff.

36 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

You will doubtfully be sending 110 watts to those speakers.  Plus music isn't a continual sine wave of sound.  It has peaks and valleys.  Not continual.

None the less, unless you crank the volume control into a distortion prone area with a large room or like to risk your ears, you won't approach 110 watts continual.  That of course doesn't mean you won't hit 110 watts on transients but those transient peaks should be far and few between.  

Matching the output of an amplifier to the input capability **continuous** of a speaker is useless.  Many times what manufacturers put as continuous isn't worth relying on.  Listen for distortions and your Sony will let you know, turn it down if you hear untoward stuff.

Thank you for the help..!

16 minutes ago, glens said:

I don't know why everyone here always dumps on Bose.  Sometimes anything is better than nothing.

I have heard the lineup, 901's down anyway. Some may be acceptable to some but you have to admit those little cubes and bass module are way overpriced and don't sound great either.

I try not to dump on anything unless its really called for, in this case its warranted.

I owned Bose 901s and their matching Bose receiver with the active EQ built in about 1981. I enjoyed the 901s while I had them, had em hanging from the ceiling. Ground Patti in Jefferson, LA had them in their restaurant, like maybe 4 or 6 hanging from the ceiling. They sounded pretty good. Lots of guys I worked with bought into the Acoustimass deal, the tiny left and right speakers with the sub. I wasn't impressed. It was like a fad for quite a while, the tiny speakers "creating" such a big sound with the sub hidden out of sight somewhere.

The thing with Bose is never in all the years did they ever publish frequency response data, never on any speaker product of theirs. Never seen any posted anywhere like testing either. I don't think they wanted people to see the FR from the Acoustimass system.

I do own a Bose clock radio/stereo cd player next to my bed. It was a service award I selected from my former long time employer. It has worked well for approx 10 years and counting.