Murder!

mr clean

I thought I would get you to look😎! I had an uncle who was murdered out in the sticks back in 1935 across the river in Illinois by a train bridge connecting Illinois and Indiana. I never knew much about it as my dad died when I was 13. I went to the White County library and found a ton of info on microfilm. They had a suspect but thats as far as I got today. It was big news and the story would be a hell of a book. I would love to solve it but would be next to impossible. It was right out side a town called Maunie IL 

It's hard digging up old info like that. It will be interesting to see how it ended up. I had family who lived a little further north, but as happens, any info on them has long ago disappeared from any family archives.

Bruce

Do you mean near a train bridge?  At first I thought you were suggesting that he was killed by the bridge and/or a train on the bridge.  I’m not being facetious or playing on words, I’m genuinely interested.  Good luck with your fascinating investigation.

It is a small wooden train bridge running across the Wabash River. The man murdered was named Elze Cross. His brother was with him was named George Cross.  George I remember and he was a big guy. He went insane and was in the State Hospital for awhile, then lived the rest of his life in group homes for people with mental issues. I wonder if he could have been involved. The guy that was going on trial was married to the murdered mans sister. His name was Giltner Barnes. There was a picture and he looked mean! It was a rough area and most people were very poor. Mostly farmers. Uncle Georges cap and overalls were found by the body. George said that he thought he was drugged at Patty Denvers bar in Maunie were they had 4 beers each earlier. George woke up by a straw pile 2 miles north of maunie and was walking home I guess in just a shirt and was told of his brothers murder at the train bridge but the body was gone already. George had cuts on his arms and torso so I don't know if he was beaten with his brother or beat him. My dad told someone when I was there as a young boy that he thought he knew who killed him but never gave a name. I thought George was insane from being beaten that night but It was after that. There is a lot of other facts but thats some of the story. I would watch a movie with that storyline. Who's going to help me write it😎. One more thing he was found by train engineer and reported it. the next train was somehow told to check and see if he was dead. His head was right at the edge of the boards so the train did not hit him. I 

• Thanks 1