If You Bought a Pair of 1972 Cornwalls....

thelonious

...that were said to be "100% original" and found these crossovers inside, how mad would you be?

I'll admit, I wasn't happy.  But I was expecting to at least have to replace the caps.  Bob Crites hooked me up with new crossovers instead, and my Vertical Mahogany Cornwalls are singing again.  Got the Crites tweeters as well.

Next up, I got a line on a Scott 222C........looks pretty clean.  I'll get to see it soon enough.

PB090157 (2).JPG

• Like 1

That reminds me.  I saw a capacitor-hawker's site the other day where the product was encased in an aluminum tube with rubber end seals, yet they went an extra mile by marking which lead was hooked to the outer foil!  I'm assuming some will see the superfluity of that...

1 hour ago, glens said:

That reminds me.  I saw a capacitor-hawker's site the other day where the product was encased in an aluminum tube with rubber end seals, yet they went an extra mile by marking which lead was hooked to the outer foil!  I'm assuming some will see the superfluity of that...

I'm not an EE, so I guess I could use some help here.

I was willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.  But he's now selling ANOTHER pair of Cornwall's which he didn't have when I met him.  To be fair, everything else was stock and they demoed well.  But my wife came with me for the demo and she and I agree - he seemed a little slimy.  But I don't regret the purchase, so I have nothing really to be upset about.  I mean, see for yourselves.

PA180105 (2).JPG

• Like 4

On 11/23/2019 at 8:22 PM, Deang said:
On 11/23/2019 at 6:35 PM, glens said:

I'm not an EE, so I guess I could use some help here.

No EE credentials here, but some folks successfully "protect" their RFID credit cards with aluminum foil (as a ready example), and it's, of course, common knowledge that wiring the outer layer of a capacitor to the more-grounded-potential side of a small-signal circuit can minimize the intrusion of spectral noise.  By encasing a capacitor in an even thicker layer of conductive material than that of the foil used internally, and especially in a high-signal-level environment (for which the capacitor was specifically made), one can only guess as to the rationale for suggesting which lead has the same potential as the outer foil...

does the rear label say MR on it for Mahogany Raw

i used to own a set of ( K ) 1972  Mahogany Raw verticals that i used boiled linseed oil on them. they were in perfect condition except for a little scrum on the side of one of them

Nope. See attached photo of left speaker; right speaker is 2K307

PB250165 (2).JPG

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 6:35 PM, glens said:

When I worked for an electronics company, over 3 years ago, I discovered a technical reason where, for some applications, this type of thing really mattered and was measurable, so don't write it of as superfluous, it's not.

On 11/25/2019 at 5:45 PM, glens said:

.........and it's, of course, common knowledge that wiring the outer layer of a capacitor to the more-grounded-potential side of a small-signal circuit can minimize the intrusion of spectral noise.  By encasing a capacitor in an even thicker layer of conductive material than that of the foil used internally, and especially in a high-signal-level environment (for which the capacitor was specifically made), one can only guess as to the rationale for suggesting which lead has the same potential as the outer foil...

PhotoPictureResizer_191127_012209991_crop_809x746.jpg