2 channel “home theater” qualify for this section?

K5SS

I wasn’t quite sure which sub-forum to post in, home theater or 2-Channel. Haha

Made some tweaking today and added a rug to try to cut back on some of the reflections. 

I am very happy with how it turned out. Now I just need to buy another house, with a dedicated room, so I can get the rest of the Ultra2’a out of storage! 

39DF8C77-525E-4F39-9919-84A1DEA406AB.jpeg

2EDDD6BC-787C-48E4-A773-4D96ED2D917B.jpeg

• Like 5

I keep thinking about paring down to stereo home theater - I keep thinking that whatever house my wife and I eventually build will have some elements of form over function and it would just be simpler overall if I can break my dependence on surround sound/center placement. Maybe I'll do that in 2020 and spend a year with it to see if I find myself missing anything.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I keep thinking about paring down to stereo home theater - I keep thinking that whatever house my wife and I eventually build will have some elements of form over function and it would just be simpler overall if I can break my dependence on surround sound/center placement. Maybe I'll do that in 2020 and spend a year with it to see if I find myself missing anything.

We are debating the same thing, however maintaining the centre channel. For the amount of rear channel sound vs the space used for rear speakers I'm really not sure it worth it anymore. Years ago I was very happy running the TV sound through a stereo system. Since the vanishing of movie stores we seem to watch very few of them anymore, even cancelled Netflix a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, glens said:

A pair of Forte III running both duties here.  I can't see the "experience" of multi-channel being worth the expense.  But I'm an old fogie at heart if not quite there yet on the clock...

I think you would need to be a real movie buff. I am sliding into fogey-hood myself and find very few movies worth watching anymore. I seem to be part of the minority that doesn't like comic book movies or preachy "woke" films.

• Like 1

I’ve gone back and forth between 5.2/7.2 and 2.2 over the years. Since this is also my tiny living room, I put a premium on how everything looked, over cramming a bunch of gear in.

With that said, it sounds pretty darn awesome. Have the 650’s toed in a little and when sitting in the main seats, I really don’t miss having a center. 

When I get a theater room, then I will go back to 7.2 because I still love the submissive surround sound for movie watching. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JohnA said:

Three across the front will give you most of the theater experience without the extra complications of rear channels.  I'd do that over 2-channel for movies. 

That’s likely what I will end up doing. I experimented with having one of the 650’s above the TV but it looked awkward.

I am thinking about putting one of the speakers below the TV but then the top of the stand would be resting right on top of the speaker.  If I do that, I  would need to figure out a way to support the and right and left of the stand. 

• Moderators
On 11/23/2019 at 12:54 PM, K5SS said:

I am very happy with how it turned out.

You should be happy, I heard that exact setup before, it was better than I expected before hearing them, and they are bigger than I thought also.

We watch very few movies but I do like having rear speakers for that sound, to us it really adds alot to the movie effects.   6.1

But the rear 3 speakers Forte ll, are up on brackets out of the way against a big beam, so from the other room you don't really see them. 3 in the back because it was 3 pair, either hang it or stor it. 

• Like 1

That is a really, really nice looking room!

I have LaScalas and MWM bins in our 'downstairs' music/tv room. Most of the tv listening is actually through some small JBL Monitor 25s. I've been too lazy to run the audio through the larger system, but it would sound better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

It is really nice,  my eyes keep going back to the art when looking at the pic.

I found the art at a local consignment shop. Actually, it’s kind of a funny story..

I was in the area and I had a break in the action so I decided to pop into my favorite, local, consignment shop, to see what new arrivals they have. As I was shopping, an older woman asked me if I could help her get a shelf out of her car. 

At first, I was thinking “why couldn’t someone who is working here help her?”, but it turns out they have a policy not to help people load or unload furniture. 

I decided to help her out as she looked desperate and she had driven about 2 hours to get the shelf there. It was pretty large and I had to to a majority or the lifting, wearing a suit none the less, but we managed to get it into position without any damage. The lady thanked me profusely for the help. 

Back to the art. I continued my shopping and found those two pieces for around $280 for the pair. When I took them up to the counter, the ladies working the counter thanked me several times for the help. When I went to pay, I noticed that they took 40% off the invoice. 

I guess doing something good here and there can actually payoff! 30 minutes of my time saved me $100 on the purchase, which I love. 

Thanks for the compliments! 

• Like 2