Property taxes 🤔

Bosco-d-gama

Pretty reasonable in this part of Ohio, but having customers in 3 states and growing up in Pa. it's amazing what the differences can be in areas that are right on one side or the other from Ohio to Pa.  Crossing the line into Pa. can easily double and sometimes triple your RE taxes.  Brother lives in NJ and Maynard is right, check that state off of your list.  

All I have to say about property taxes is "Move to Arkansas, RURAL Arkansas!"  Buy some "undeveloped timberland" (mixed pine and hardwood) and build on it!  Don't fence-in the timberland....once you do that, it is considered "developed"...and don't start planting trees in nice neat rows, that is also considered "developed"! Then you can laugh your arse off at all of the craziness of property taxes which people elsewhere complain so much about.  Every 15 years or so, do a "light thinning" of your timber....you don't even need to worry about replacing the trees cut, because the squirrels will "re-plant" FOR YOU!....and you will get ALL OF YOUR PROPERTY TAXES BACK INTO YOUR POCKET which you paid during the previous 15 years, plus you will have made a sizable profit from the sale of that timber. If you enjoy hunting, then having your own mixed timberland is an even better deal for you!  I'm talking from experience here, folks!😉

• Like 2

3215 sq. ft. single family structure on 4.11 acres of a hillside with exactly .12 acres flat enough to build on. Fairbanks North Star Borough just sent our $7200 tax bill and notice that it will increase next year.  The only benefit I've ever used of the Borough is the garbage transfer site which they are talking about closing due to funding issues.  State maintains the nearby access roads.  I actually snow plow the subdivision road that we live on. Haven't ever used the 'volunteer' fire dept.  Heating fuel is over $3 a gallon and it takes an act of congress to pass the current air quality requirements for wood burning appliances.  Arkansas is starting to sound pretty good.

• Moderators
On 11/23/2019 at 5:58 PM, Bosco-d-gama said:

Mmmmmm - not necessarily. Last I checked states who paid the highest in educational salaries were no where near tops in actual educational performance. Of course educators will shift the blame for poor student performance back to the family’s. But educators seem to forget that our educators have been teaching for generations now - so - the educators educated the same parents who now supposedly fail their students. We have generations of poor education and everyone pointing fingers elsewhere.

That said absolutely everywhere in the country will be subjected to the annual ‘woe is the teacher’ campaign for higher wages. Teachers can “do better” if they get paid more. Show me one school district where a raise in wages resulted in better educated students. I have never seen one.

I said per student, not salaries. The poverty level in San Francisco may be say 50,000, so their salaries need to reflect that as compared to other cities which have a poverty level half of that.

There is a high correlation between amount per student and a number of education scales. 

• Like 1

On of the reasons eventually I'd like to move someplace else in retirement is high taxes (and weather). My property taxes (2400 sq ft house in city) are $6,000/yr. Sales taxes here 7%, state income taxes around 7%. Plus, Nebraska has an inheritance tax of 1% (with minor exemptions), and taxes social security income at the same rate of income (7%). 

HDBRBuilder: Heard good things about NW Arkansas -- on my list to visit, but not so much sold on rural areas. I'm thinking maybe Fayetteville or Bella Vista area.

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

That's it?   With your basement as big as my whole house

Haha; pay about the same as babadono ... and jeez; don't even have a basement, but do have a dock :)  And ... we have been in the same house for over 20 years; meaning our taxes have been "capped."  Without that we would pay double :D  No kids, but we pay for those who do have kids :(  and of course for "four" city workers to do a single man's job :(