RT-10 / RT-12 REPAIR BLOG

ngen33r

On 11/14/2021 at 3:59 AM, Purdueguy said:

J’ai une RT12 qui n’a pas de son maintenant et qui a besoin d’être réparée. Qui puis-je obtenir pour réparer? J’adore ce sous-marin juste besoin de le remettre en marche. Puis-je acheter des cartes de remplacement ?

You have to look at the second-hand market and buy a broken box at a low price to recover parts but with the risk that the defective components are the same you will have to ask the seller about the failure encountered with his box and that this one is different from yours.

• 2 months later...

Hello,
A week ago I bought a used mains power supply with the dsp card and the control panel of an RT10D with the idea of comparing this power supply with the mains supply of my Jamo D600 which is largely similar. I have already repaired (well I think) the RT10D power supply. two of the four mosfets were shorted as well as the two 1µF film capacitors that had exploded. I took the opportunity to replace all the small chemical capacitors that are on this card; many were tired (high esr). On power up everything seems normal, the control panel reacts. On the other hand I have a big plop (in the loudspeaker) at each power-up. I took a voltage reading and there are 360 millivolts DC once the system is running without any source connected to the amplifier input!! Does anyone have any feedback on this? It seems to me all the same that it is quite high as DC voltage.
To read to you.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:02 AM, Journey said:

Hello Agin All ...

I have completed the full schematic for the PS for RT-12. I have got nearly all component references covered for the primary side save for 2 as well as part numbers.

Secondary side there are still some references that are not known but I think I got all the part numbers.

1275803100_KlipschRT-12PSFull.thumb.jpg.abafe888944f586342d85e81d20bfbf9.jpg

Again I stress that there may be  mistake or 2 but I'm 99.8% sure I got it right ... anyone can see an error let me know and I will correct the schematic and repost.

If anyone wants the actual KiCAd file let me know and I will send it or post it although I'm not sure how I could post the KICad fie maybe someone can show me.

Klipsch RT-12 PS Full.schUnavailable

Hi, sorry but i see some mistake on this schematic: IR2153 Pin 4 must be GND, your draw show Hi Voltage connection. I hope you made mistake in module pinout... Anyway you made very big and nice job. Keep Go!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, I have some parts for an RT-10. I have all 3 drivers (2 passive), all 3 grilles, the boards that come out the bottom, and the digital readout from the top of the sub. A handful of screws and a trap shaped metal  plate are the only other parts I have. I would like the OP to own these parts, free of charge. Of course only if you want them. The only thing I want for those parts, is information. I have a Klipsch KA-1000-THX subwoofer amplifier. It doesn't work as it should, and I would like to have it repaired. I would like to know of somebody who will repair this amp for me (for money). Oh yeah. You'll need to send me a shipping stamp or something, after I give you the weight and size of box, for the RT-10 parts.

• 1 month later...

ngen33r, 

I recently picked up a RT-10. Didn't come with a power cord and the fuse was missing. I got some slow burm fuses from Amazon and used an old cord left over from a computer power supply. Not sure if it matters but it was made for 3 prongs instead of 2. So, after installing a fuse, it was fried immediately after flipping the power switch twice. Everything else about this speaker looks good other than a couple of scuffs. Would it be possible for you to repair it for me anytime soon?

• 9 months later...

I have an RT-12 115v configured that customer plugged into 240v by mistake, thermistor exploded, and all FET’s shorted, components on driver board test good and will replace driver IC just because, but in your experience with these are there any specific cold tests I should do on the secondary side before powering up? Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi, hopefully this post is still alive.  I have a Klipsch RT-12D which has served me well for the last 12 or so years.  Went to listen to some music the other day and the sub is totally dead…no power.  I checked the fuse below the power cord and it not blown.  Any ideas on what the issue may be?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BlkKnight said:

Hi, hopefully this post is still alive.  I have a Klipsch RT-12D which has served me well for the last 12 or so years.  Went to listen to some music the other day and the sub is totally dead…no power.  I checked the fuse below the power cord and it not blown.  Any ideas on what the issue may be?

Welcome @BlkKnight

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I have a Klipsch RT-10D that has stopped working ... blows fuses. Found some issues around some glue areas and a burnt out trace on the PCB. In addition to removing the yellow glue and completing a full recap, I'm looking at replacing the SCK-048 thermistors. They seem to be intact but I noticed a few burn marks and cracks so not sure if they're blown but thought it would be prudent to replace these. I'm unable to source these thermistors. Is there an equivalent replacement part # that anyone can recommend from Mouser or DigiKey?

Thanks in advance :) 

• Like 1

Thanks 001. I'm from Canada so I typically go to Amazon.CA ... not Amazon.COM; but all good. I'm looking for SCK-048's ... 4 Ohm, 8Amp thermistors not the SCK-084's unless you're indicating that these will work though the specs are not the same. I'll search Amazon.COM and see what I can find. I was kinda looking for alternatives/equivalent to the Thinking (TKS) SCK-048's by another manufacture that would be perhaps easier to source and better quality.