An Audio moment that stuck with you

joessportster

Curious to hear about others moments

One that has stuck with me.  I went to a sellers home to audition a pair of Deja Vu amps he had a pair of Talon Khorus speakers set up about 4 feet off the rear wall and 4 or so feet off the side walls. Playing vinyl he put on Jack Johnson Brushfire FairyTales  the song was Posters. The drummer strikes the cymbol several times in this song near the top sounding similar to a bell. I had heard the song several times and liked it. In this mans setup the bell shimmered and floated across the room left to right just as clear as could be.  I find myself always going back to that moment trying to emulate that with every setup / system I put together

I have yet to duplicate that experience.    I have several moments like this that I find myself going back to in an attempt to get that sound.

What say you ?

Curious to hear about others moments

One that has stuck with me.  I went to a sellers home to audition a pair of Deja Vu amps he had a pair of Talon Khorus speakers set up about 4 feet off the rear wall and 4 or so feet off the side walls. Playing vinyl he put on Jack Johnson Brushfire FairyTales  the song was Posters. The drummer strikes the cymbol several times in this song near the top sounding similar to a bell. I had heard the song several times and liked it. In this mans setup the bell shimmered and floated across the room left to right just as clear as could be.  I find myself always going back to that moment trying to emulate that with every setup / system I put together

I have yet to duplicate that experience.    I have several moments like this that I find myself going back to in an attempt to get that sound.

What say you ?

I heard “Give Me Shelter” on a pair of K- Horns. Bill Wyman’s Bass thundered. I have LaScalas with a sub, but just can’t duplicate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure if you’re referring to equipment or music?  

i remember how much i loved my Heresey I, NAD amp & preamp setup that i had back in 1984.  It sounded so good. 

as far as music, i got to tag along with my older brother and his friend to the drive in ... they were playing YES’ Close to the Edge and I fell in love with that band. i can still remember sitting in the back seat mesmerized by Rick Wakeman’s keyboard work on that album. 

• Like 2

At age 16 I went to work for our local high-end audio store( Sound Systems inc. If you were stationed at Bragg in the 70's and 80's you'll know it. ). It was the first time I ever heard k-horns. there was a seperate room set up with all Klipsch. K-horns, belles. la scalas,etc. I would bring albums to work and stay after hours gettin my Klipsch on. My time there will never be forgotten.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bigdnfay1 said:

At age 16 I went to work for our local high-end audio store( Sound Systems inc. If you were stationed at Bragg in the 70's and 80's you'll know it. ). It was the first time I ever heard k-horns. there was a seperate room set up with all Klipsch. K-horns, belles. la scalas,etc. I would bring albums to work and stay after hours gettin my Klipsch on. My time there will never be forgotten.

Sound Systems was upstairs from an old pharmacy/grill a block away from the big hospital here in the 80s. In `90 went in and ordered my raw birch Heresy IIs for $700. Kinda regret in hindsight not going at least the next step up.. and that was still under a grand then. But the pair of H2s were mind blowing moving up from 4 501s!

I also heard the Talon speakers years ago and was quite impressed.  A claimed frequency response of 17hz to 35kh. That might give them the expansive top end you heard.   15 grand when new, now though I have seen them over at Audiogon going for around $2000.    http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/revequip/talon_khorus.htm 

A memorable experience that I had was when I first experienced a pair of speakers completely disappearing into the sound field.   I was very impressed with that. They were the Audio Physic Tempo 3's, which  had a claimed top end out to 40khz.  I subsequently bought those when a deal came up on audiogon some time later.   

Great stories so far Thanks guys.

48 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I also heard the Talon speakers years ago and was quite impressed.  A claimed frequency response of 17hz to 35kh. That might give them the expansive top end you heard.   15 grand when new, now though I have seen them over at Audiogon going for around $2000.    http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/revequip/talon_khorus.htm 

A memorable experience that I had was when I first experienced a pair of speakers completely disappearing into the sound field.   I was very impressed with that. They were the Audio Physic Tempo 3's, which  had a claimed top end out to 40khz.  I subsequently bought those when a deal came up on audiogon some time later.   

I ended up going to Buffalo NY area in the winter to buy a pair of Khorus when I got to the guys place it was in a poor neighborhood I questioned stopping 2 k cash and alone.  I did stop and went inside the guys row type home small with very narrow steps that made a 90 degree turn half way up to get to a bedroom where he had been using them maybe 10 x 10 not very big at all.  They were in decent shape we fought them all the way to the van that stairway was FUN

even having Khorus I was still never able to emulate what had hooked me. The ones I had heard in the guys home were the top upgraded pair at the time firehawk if I remember correctly. 

How about three of them. It was a progression and each was an eye opener to dramatically better audio. First was the KPT-456's. Huge sound stage and presence. Then I lucked into a set of MCM 1900's and it was a big leap up but lacked some deeper bass I had with the 456's. Really fine speakers though and the powerful clear MWM's made the bass they produced really nice and in truth was deep enough for most all my music but the 456's had teased me with deeper pipe organ notes. This led to the Super MWMs which fulfilled all my needs. I had gone through many pro boxes and everything but KHorns and Belles here and many were nice but the three that made my audio world change were the ones I mentioned above.  Each one when I finally had them set up right  was a revelation.  I have some 415 bass bins coming in soon and I might try those 402's on them for the heck of it.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Great stories so far Thanks guys.

I ended up going to Buffalo NY area in the winter to buy a pair of Khorus when I got to the guys place it was in a poor neighborhood I questioned stopping 2 k cash and alone.  I did stop and went inside the guys row type home small with very narrow steps that made a 90 degree turn half way up to get to a bedroom where he had been using them maybe 10 x 10 not very big at all.  They were in decent shape we fought them all the way to the van that stairway was FUN

even having Khorus I was still never able to emulate what had hooked me. The ones I had heard in the guys home were the top upgraded pair at the time firehawk if I remember correctly. 

Ah, so you did go that route.  Sorry to hear that they did not live up.  Though sadly,  that is not uncommon.😀 

3 hours ago, Shiva said:

Ah, so you did go that route.  Sorry to hear that they did not live up.  Though sadly,  that is not uncommon.😀 

My room was much smaller, and I could not position them even close to his setup. You are right though we rarely are able to copy a system in a different venue

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

How about three of them. It was a progression and each was an eye opener to dramatically better audio. First was the KPT-456's. Huge sound stage and presence. Then I lucked into a set of MCM 1900's and it was a big leap up but lacked some deeper bass I had with the 456's. Really fine speakers though and the powerful clear MWM's made the bass they produced really nice and in truth was deep enough for most all my music but the 456's had teased me with deeper pipe organ notes. This led to the Super MWMs which fulfilled all my needs. I had gone through many pro boxes and everything but KHorns and Belles here and many were nice but the three that made my audio world change were the ones I mentioned above.  Each one when I finally had them set up right  was a revelation.  I have some 415 bass bins coming in soon and I might try those 402's on them for the heck of it.

Mad man with obviously tons of space 😁

My biggest eye opening speaker experience was initially cornwalls going from infinity rsll no more driving the flame linear to safety shutdown.  Pure enjoyment of a speaker though  came much later with my now Open Baffle setup the imaging is to die for especially when you are a sound stage ***** as I am

An Audio moment ...  several!

1) The first time I heard 6 channel magnetic stereo in a 70mm movie.  The theater used huge JBLs, commissioned by Ampex, the designer of the rest of the Todd-AO sound system (I asked).  It sounded like the school orchestra I played in.  Incredible dynamics and openness!

2) Trying to duplicate the above, and failing, but the JBL C55 with the same drivers that were in the theater, but different horns, was at least reminiscent of the theater system, but very little bass (bass horn too small?), and mono.  Still, it was spectacularly better than any of my friends or their parents had. 

3) Found a Bozak system that had more bass and was sweeter sounding, but without the airiness and the cortex tingling brass.  No sale.

4) Discovered Klipschorns with a Belle Klipsch third (center) channel, PWK's "Wide Stage Stereo.".  They sounded "free floating," as a friend put it, and balanced, with the incredible dynamics of the theater system.  Then followed an approx 20 year period of saving pennies, and gradually moving to better and better jobs, until 1982 when they became mine.  I listened to everything I could, once again, and the Khorns came out on top, again.  As J. Gordon Holt reported, Khorns triggered his readers "musical gestalt," and they certainly triggered mine.  There were several other speakers that were about as good -- but very different -- sometimes much more expensive and needing > 3,000 watts per channel to match 100 w.p.c. into the Klipschorns [B & W 801F rated at 85w, 2.83v, 1m vs Khorn rated at 101w (conservative), 2.83v, 1m].   But none had the openness and the great brass, percussion, and dynamics.  Now, with a stock upgrade (AK-4), they are the front array of our 5.1 movie system, and also our music listening system with either 2 ch or a 5.1 system with SACD, DVD-A, or Blu-ray.  With some Blu-rays, it equals the 70mm theater system.  I think.

• Like 1

I don't remember exactly when or where or even what the music was I just remember back in the mid '70's hearing a set of Klipschorns for the first time and being stunned.

It was the '70's after all,they say if you remember the '70's you weren't there. lol

At any rate I never forgot that first impression and wanting a set forever,took me about 45 years but I finally acquired a set and I'm loving them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

First time I heard Khorns, I was about 13 years old. There was a Klipsch dealer called HiFi Workshop about 6 blocks from my house in Detroit. I would see them through the glass window each time I rode by, which was every day. I bought my first stereo there, which was an Ampex cassette deck with FM and 6x9 speakers in separate cabinets. Picked it up with my little brother's little Red Wagon, literally. Had Khorns with LaScala mono for over 30 years satrting in '77. Built a CornScala Center in 1975 with Speakerlab parts.

PWK's own Walnu Khorns and Belle Center at his house in 1985 and realized what a great recording engineer he was as he played his recordings for me while we drank some Glenn something single malt Scotch!

Heard Jubes and MWMs with K-402's during my second trip to Hope in 2007, so I sold my Khorns for that "horn stack" which evolved.

Stopped by Danley HQ near Atlanta and heard all their stuff on my way back from picking up a pair of TH-50 subs with my trailer. Heard all of their speaker combinations, but the BC-415 subs really knocked me out!

I heard  a pair of Wilson Chronosonic xVx, with their companion sub in the corner (about $500,000 for all), driven by Dan D'Agostino's huge monobloc amps ($250,000/pair), with various digital sources, and one analog LP on a $500,000 turntable. The sound was one of the best I've ever experienced in a treated, high end dealer listening room (only 10 people allowed at a time). Spoke to D'Agostino, Dave Wilson's Son (designer/presenter), and his Mother, Dave Wilson's Widow (the Business woman) briefly.

I was almost as impressed with the xVx super refined sound as I was with the price tags of the system! Wow! I think the brochure/booklet of all their products cost at least $50 to make. That's impressive too, with world class photography.

• Like 3

My wife was out of town and a dealer called me and asked if I would be interested in. 30k pair of electrostatic speakers for 1500.00.The name of the speakers were ahl tortec 6 ft tall and 5.5 feet wide and they cane in 8 boxes.Ihad to rent. 12 ft truck to get them and it took 6 hours for me and 2 friends to set them up.The sound of those speakers were unreal and when my wife got home and saw the size of them she freaked out.To this day she still reminds me of those huge monsters and anytime she starts to complain about my Klipschorns I asked her if she misses my large electrostat speakers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've told it before but here goes...

When I was about 20 (a long time ago) a friend's dad died and left him about $100K.  He blew through the money, but one of the things he bought was a set of Klipschorns and a decent amplifier to run it all.  He invited me over and I realized that for the entirety of my life, I'd been lied to about speakers.  They just plain out blew EVERYTHING away that I had ever heard.  I never forgot that.

The next summer, he had a party at a local park.  My wife (then co-worker) and I were invited.  There were these strange box speakers there that had V fronts.  No labels.  I thought they sounded GREAT.  I didn't know what they were, but never forgot them.

30 years later, I found my own set of Klipschorns and bought them.  The magic was now mine.  They sounded every bit as good as I heard them that first day long ago.

Then I figured out that the mysterious V speakers I saw at the party were La Scala's.  Boom.  Had to have some.  I found destroyed cabinets and built my splits.  I never wanted anyone to be puzzled as to the manufacturer of the speakers like I was, so I put GIANT text on the sides.  Hopefully it will drive some sales to Klipsch.  Looks like it may do just that, based on a party I recently had.  One young man was so blown away by the clarity, he said he couldn't see buying anything else and being underwhelmed.  Yes!

7 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Then I figured out that the mysterious V speakers I saw at the party were La Scala's.  Boom.  Had to have some.  I found destroyed cabinets and built my splits.  I never wanted anyone to be puzzled as to the manufacturer of the speakers like I was, so I put GIANT text on the sides.  Hopefully it will drive some sales to Klipsch.  Looks like it may do just that, based on a party I recently had.  One young man was so blown away by the clarity, he said he couldn't see buying anything else and being underwhelmed.  Yes!

I lived in a huge house for 16 years, (raised my kids there and had lots of parties) with on top of a ravine that had a creek and 33 acres of woods behind it. I had a pair of LaScala that my brothers used as a DJ system for a few years. I put them outside, against the brick wall on the patio. Let me tell you, those LaScalas playing Pat Metheny outdoors really gave a live concert feel to the music. Even better than the day I took those LaScalas to the beach with a car battery running an Aiwa FM/cassette radio. Playing frisbee has never been more fun than that day. LaScalas are a great speaker, and with Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba Subs (Low Profiles are my fave), you have a system that is pretty hard to beat, for any occasion!!

• Like 1

I lived in a huge house for 16 years, (raised my kids there and had lots of parties) with on top of a ravine that had a creek and 33 acres of woods behind it. I had a pair of LaScala that my brothers used as a DJ system for a few years. I put them outside, against the brick wall on the patio. Let me tell you, those LaScalas playing Pat Metheny outdoors really gave a live concert feel to the music. Even better than the day I took those LaScalas to the beach with a car battery running an Aiwa FM/cassette radio. Playing frisbee has never been more fun than that day. LaScalas are a great speaker, and with Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba Subs (Low Profiles are my fave), you have a system that is pretty hard to beat, for any occasion!!

Yep. THTLP with mine. Check out my listening party post in the Lounge section.

49 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Yep. THTLP with mine. Check out my listening party post in the Lounge section.

Nice. Great story!!

Did the same thing in my back yard in 1983 with regular LaScalas and no sub. We were standing down the hill and the sound of the waterfall and birds in the background added to the outdoor feel. I really like your THTLP. I had 2 of those, but someone else needed them more than I did, so they are with another Klipschster with MWM bins!

• Like 1