Noob, need help please

Mo Laher

Hi all,

I have the RP-8000F towers and the R-12SW sub. 

I have no knowledge about amps, preamps, and what I need to set everything up.

I will use these for watching movies on Netflix and Satellite TV, and also for music (which is my passion) via Spotify either using TV app or by iPhone (AirPlay to TV).

I want quality over quantity so would prefer to go the preamp/DAC and amp route over the AV receiver route. Movies are for my wife and I but the music is for me and I want to get the most out of my speakers as I absolute love music. I’ve heard good setups before and was fascinated with the warmth, detail, richness...

My budget is around 1k but if it’s needed to spend more to get the best quality then I can stretch a bit. 

Please educate me on what’s needed and how I should set up but also please recommend some models. 

Many thanks in advance!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, billybob said:

So the 1k that you have is just for the electronics to power the speakers and the speakers you have now are it. Correct? And you have nothing to power speakers now?

Welcome...

4 hours ago, Mo Laher said:

Hi all,

I have the RP-8000F towers and the R-12SW sub. 

I have no knowledge about amps, preamps, and what I need to set everything up.

I will use these for watching movies on Netflix and Satellite TV, and also for music (which is my passion) via Spotify either using TV app or by iPhone (AirPlay to TV).

I want quality over quantity so would prefer to go the preamp/DAC and amp route over the AV receiver route. Movies are for my wife and I but the music is for me and I want to get the most out of my speakers as I absolute love music. I’ve heard good setups before and was fascinated with the warmth, detail, richness...

My budget is around 1k but if it’s needed to spend more to get the best quality then I can stretch a bit. 

Please educate me on what’s needed and how I should set up but also please recommend some models. 

Many thanks in advance!

Are you planning on playing any records?

Welcome, know this:

Movies require more power than music due to loud transits: speech to gun fire to bombs.

HT receiver power ratings are BS. 

HT processing evolves quickly so they can rope us in.

While initially more expensive, the separate pre/pro and amplifier is the way to go since a quality amp lasts for a long, long time but processors come and go.

Just now, jimjimbo said:

While I am not a Home Theater person, I do know that many folks believe that the Emotiva line of components present a good value.

https://emotiva.com/

Having owned a few pieces it is my personal opinion to stay very far away from any Emo products but early amps. The processors are VERY buggy.

• Like 2

Yes, the 1k is for all the kit I need to power the speakers and the sub which I already have. 

The more I look into things and the more I think about it, the more certain I am that I don’t want an AV receiver.

So what kind of preamp and amp should I be looking at? I have no idea where to start. I’m worried that I’ll end up buying something that is not suitable for my speakers or something that won’t bring out the best in my speakers. 

If you could recommend a few preamps and amps within my budget please.

1 hour ago, Mo Laher said:

Yes, the 1k is for all the kit I need to power the speakers and the sub which I already have. 

The more I look into things and the more I think about it, the more certain I am that I don’t want an AV receiver.

So what kind of preamp and amp should I be looking at? I have no idea where to start. I’m worried that I’ll end up buying something that is not suitable for my speakers or something that won’t bring out the best in my speakers. 

If you could recommend a few preamps and amps within my budget please.

You are going to have some choices then. Looks like a two channel unit with a subwoofer out.

Some will say for Home Theatre (HT)you will want a center channel output but, if you can live without that, there are choices 

Others are finding your post here and more will be able to make

Model recommendations. Yamaha, Marantz, Rotel and other brands could be mentioned. A little bit more time then.

@willand

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

And then there are folks that don't like Emotiva........

Not anti Emo in totality. Gen 1 amps and stereo preamps are solid. There has never been an Emo HT  processor where software / firmware issues were fixed to the point where they were reliable to just turn on and work.

@Mo Laher,

Welcome to the forum.

I am the one from Audiogon who suggested you join the Klipsch Forum and post in this section.

11 hours ago, Mo Laher said:

I am not going to tell you that all AVRs are "crap" like our friend on another forum told you, but some are definitely better than others.  While I understand an AVR is not the "best" choice if you want a very high quality stereo system, it is one of the two choices if you are planning on having a center speaker also.  The other choice is a preamp-processor/amplifier combo which usually will provide better stereo playback.

If you don't care to add a center and surround speakers, a stereo integrated amp, with or without a built in DAC, will provide wonderful playback with your Klipsch RP-8000Fs.  As you can see from my gear profile below, I am covering most of the bases with a couple of integrated amps, AVRs, and pre-pro/amp combo.

Just a couple of integrated amp suggestions that should sound great with your Klipsch.

Yamaha AS-801

NAD C375BEE(if still available in the UK)

Cambridge Audio CXA80

Bill

• Like 2

Thanks all for your input.

Thanks billybob for the integrated amp recommendation, it’s within my budget and has built in DAC. Does it have a sub out?

willand, thanks for the recommendation to post here, and for your informative response.

I’ll admit, our friend in the other chat really got me convinced that I should avoid AVRs. But you’ve reopened the thought. 

What does sound like a great option is the preamp processor and amp combo. Could you explain more about this please? I assume it’s not as good for sound quality as an integrated amp? But it will allow me to add a center speaker down the line? You would recommend this over an AVR?

One comment in the other chat put me off centers as it sounded like a waste of money, but the majority recommend it especially for improved dialogue in movies. So now I’m back on wanting to add one down the line. I think my room wouldn’t allow for rears but it’s nice to have the option if things change. 

So an integrated amp is 2 channel? So I can only have my speakers, no sub, no Center? 

Could you recommend a couple of models for the preamp pro + amp combo please? Preferably one with built in DAC? Or is this not needed?

18 hours ago, Mo Laher said:

I will use these for watching movies on Netflix and Satellite TV, and also for music

Welcome to the Klipsch forums.

With a budget of $1000 you can find a quality AVR.  There is a reason they are so popular, there are many choices within any price range.  TV these days run multi-channel speakers and they all have internal DAC's.  A L/R/C and a sub can give you a wonderful sound with your current 8000's and sub, and leaves you an easy upgrade path, especially to a quality center speaker.

There is nothing wrong with separates IMO except you will not be able to find them within your price range.  A middle of the line pre-pro can easily cost $2500 and then you still have to find an amp.  In my case my computer setup is run with an Onkyo 717 AVR (2014) and when I needed more power the AVR became the pre-pro as I added an Emotiva XPA-5 external amp which doubled the power.

There are many AVR's which are known to work well with TV/movies and music.  Marantz comes to mind and many here like Denon.  I suggest something with about 125 wpc.

I own the Marantz SR6011 and can recommend it or any of its bigger brothers.  It has 9 internal amps and can process 11 if I add an external amp.  It has plenty of high quality power to run my 5.1 living room setup.

591494550_RP-600Mbi-amprightsideview_800.thumb.jpg.b8712124600503367435c1ae83b68773.jpg

Thanks wvu80.

Your setup looks amazing!

So I either triple (or more) my budget for a mid level preamp processor and amp setup, or I stick with my current budget and get a high end AVR?

I have searched for AVRs and can see that Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, are the good brands. But there are so many models each with different features and specs, I have no clue what I should be looking at or how much I should be spending from that 1k-ish budget. 

Maybe I should go the AVR route, add in the center down the line and in time to come go for an upgrade with a much bigger budget. That seems to be the popular guidance given here. 

So I just need to find the right AVR. Can I get some recommendations from everyone please?

Outlaw Audio offers pre/pros and amps and have a good reputation and reviews. Their cost / performance ratio is very budget friendly.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html

I'd also consider looking at the used market as there are some great deals on used amps and other components to be had.

(Craigslist, Audiogon, AVS Classifieds, this forums garage sale, etc....)

50 minutes ago, Mo Laher said:

I have searched for AVRs and can see that Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, are the good brands.

You should also throw Integra in the mix. They are the sister company to Onkyo.

If you do go the AVR route, you should make sure the given AVR has pre-outs if you wish to add an amp in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mo Laher said:

Thanks wvu80.

Your setup looks amazing!

So I either triple (or more) my budget for a mid level preamp processor and amp setup, or I stick with my current budget and get a high end AVR?

So I just need to find the right AVR. Can I get some recommendations from everyone please?

Yep, that is pretty much it.  At $1k, you are into the good receiver range.  Both of my Pre.Pros were $1800+.  My first was an Acurus ACT-3 that ended up over $2500 with the Excellent Klipsch upgrade.  I believe the ACT-4 is about $4000  Now, I'm running an Integra demonstrator that was about $1800. The lower range of high-end.   

Look at Sony ES, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra.  Be sure you get one that can switch 4k video, accommodates the music connections you listed and has a power rating over 100 watts.  I would recommend at least 4 HDMI inputs and one out.  Two HDMI outs can be handy, I have a 7" monitor on my secondary HDMI so I don't have to turn the big screen on just to change internet radio stations or select another song from my NAS. 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=home+theater+receiver&i=electronics&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A3213035011%2Cp_72%3A1248879011%2Cp_36%3A80000-120000&s=price-desc-rank&dc&crid=30CWR1TK3DX34&qid=1574697181&rnid=386442011&sprefix=Home+theater+receiver%2Caps%2C188&ref=sr_st_price-desc-rank