Noob, need help please

Mo Laher

If you're considering an AVR then I have no clue why you'd consider any of that Marantz, Denon (I believe Onkyo is the same company, maybe even as Marantz), or Yamaha stuff when, currently within your stated budget via Crutchfield, you can get https://www.crutchfield.com/p_745T758V3/NAD-T-758-V3.html.

The other unit I suggested earlier is an extremely good value.  I have its little brother and couldn't be happier.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, glens said:

Yeah.  A cursory glance at the description makes it look like it's got BlueOS inside, too.   HDMI switching, full preamp outs, the best of the best at even the "normal" price point, for sure.

The OP wants it for 2 channel listening also so, pretty sure that

NAD AVR should deliver some decent quality...

The only downside I perceive is that he's the other side of the pond.  If that's correct, the bargain available here might not equate there.

I've never been a fan of the "mainstream" stuff by those other manufacturers.  Back in the day the best bang for the buck was HK, followed closely by NAD.  Sansewage, Pioneer, et. al. were much further down the pyramid.  I don't rightly know how they all stack up these days; just going on ancient knowledge.  I acknowledge that at one point in time Marantz was pretty good, as was Yamaha, but I'd not primarily consider either brand if I were shopping at this time (Yamaha primarily on philosophical grounds;  I know they make okay power sports equipment and musical instruments, but feel a company should decide just what it is they want to do.).

22 minutes ago, glens said:

The only downside I perceive is that he's the other side of the pond.  If that's correct, the bargain available here might not equate there.

I've never been a fan of the "mainstream" stuff by those other manufacturers.  Back in the day the best bang for the buck was HK, followed closely by NAD.  Sansewage, Pioneer, et. al. were much further down the pyramid.  I don't rightly know how they all stack up these days; just going on ancient knowledge.  I acknowledge that at one point in time Marantz was pretty good, as was Yamaha, but I'd not primarily consider either brand if I were shopping at this time (Yamaha primarily on philosophical grounds;  I know they make okay power sports equipment and musical instruments, but feel a company should decide just what it is they want to do.).

Yes, something was said earlier on that makes me think he is not local.

Anyway, understand the history somewhat. Rotel is more mainstream nowadays, which like also. Maybe will find out soon enough.

JohnA, thanks very much for the recommendations. I need to look at these in detail.

It was mentioned before that for 1k I can get a high end AVR but would need to spend 2 maybe 3k+ each on pre/pro and amp to get mid level range. 

My question: are the pre/pro and amp models you suggested going to give me better quality sound than a high end AVR?

Yes I’m across the pond (UK).

glens, thanks for the suggestion, that NAD looks like it packs all the specs and features. I’ll check UK online shops to see if there are similar discounts, fingers crossed.

How does it compare to the Marantz SR7011? I know you don’t like Marantz but in terms of specs and features, and most importantly sound quality?

And what about the Denon AVR-X4500H? 125w per channel, this should bring out some good sound quality from my Klipsch speakers no?

What is blueOS?

https://www.bluesound.com/ is a sister company to https://www.nadelectronics.com/ so they share some tech with each other.  I don't familiarize myself with everything out there, but my impression is that most of the manufacturers have some form of customized music distribution system built upon DLNA, which in its basic form should work amongst all of them.

100 Watts here, 125 Watts there, you'd never hear the difference all things being equal since it works on a logarithmic scale.  The difference between those two values would be at the threshold of discernment, and that only if you could instantly switch between them.  NAD has, at least historically, used methods and ratings which compare most favorably against others.  I think they use a phrase something like "real world power" (as opposed to "laboratory power"?) and it's true.

I guess it seems like I'm a NAD fanboy such that they can do no wrong.  I'd like to think that's not the case, but early on my experiences led me to hop on their bandwagon and I've had no reason to spend time reevaluating my position in all the years which have passed.

21 hours ago, glens said:

I guess it seems like I'm a NAD fanboy such that they can do no wrong

I would not consider myself a "fanboy" but I have had great success with their products.  Without a doubt the most musical A/V(home theater) gear I have experience with.  My time with my NAD T773 flagship AVR led me to their preamp/processor T175HD which I hope never takes a dump even though it is only 7.2 and no 4K.

Bill

• Like 1

I have no familiarity with any of the specific products mentioned in this thread.  As previously stated, I have the next-down-the-line of the integrated 2-channel amp I suggested, but that's all.  Beyond that suggestion I merely wanted to express what few thoughts I have in the matter.  It would be foolish of me to make any further recommendations in this matter.

glens, you mention that you are a NAD fanboy and have given some good insight into their products. 

It was mentioned in another forum that NAD amps typically sound bright. Do you disagree?

Does the 758 have a warm sound?

Does the 758 have a class AB amp or a class D?

willland, you have had experience with NAD too, what do you think?

I'd have to guess it's not class-d amplification or they'd mention it, which they don't.  They're moving in that direction (mine is) but they still have current product which is not.

Bright?  I'm sorry but I disagree with that notion.  Not even "thin" in my experience.  If you can find a physical store to draw some of your own comparisons as to such qualities you'll be doing yourself a real favor.  Be aware, however, that critically matching sound levels when making direct comparisons is of the utmost importance.  Louder, even by the tiniest amount, almost invariably will sound better, even in cases where the quieter one is clearly the better sounding of the two by itself or when properly matched.

Good luck.  I'm glad I'm not shopping for gear.

2 hours ago, Mo Laher said:

It was mentioned in another forum that NAD amps typically sound bright. Do you disagree?

willland, you have had experience with NAD too, what do you think?

My opinion is that NAD gear is pretty dead on neutral.  Definitely not bright from my experience.

Bill

Will say, for the sake of the subject, and after consideration, and you can find a deal there on a NAD of like or similar model, with the features desired, you are likely to consider, NAD product. The AVR mentioned is a nice discount locally, as well as the Integrated. amp, with A/B channels. So, typically you will find 4 speaker

Outputs, on integrated amps and the sub.

Were you aware of this? You could reasonably power a center speaker...or rears...just saying.

Music is a requirement then with quality and HT.

Enjoy your search...

On 11/25/2019 at 5:19 PM, glens said:

If you're considering an AVR then I have no clue why you'd consider any of that Marantz, Denon (I believe Onkyo is the same company, maybe even as Marantz), or Yamaha stuff when, currently within your stated budget via Crutchfield, you can get https://www.crutchfield.com/p_745T758V3/NAD-T-758-V3.html.

The other unit I suggested earlier is an extremely good value.  I have its little brother and couldn't be happier.

How is it's reliability?  I persuaded my brother to buy a NAD and turned out to be about as reliable as a Yugo.  I think it died twice in a year.