R-110SW / R-112SW / R-115SW Repair Blog

ngen33r

Hello All

I have been repairing Klipsch subwoofer amps for about 15 years as a hobby. I have decided to start blogging my repairs and eventually do videos of each one. This thread is intended to be a blog and a resource for information. I will try to answer repair questions as best I can. Comments and tips are also welcome, If you do not have the experience or the tools, PLEASE do not attempt any of these repairs. You will only end up damaging the board and it will end up costing more for a tech to repair the damage. If you do not have a high quality vacuum desoldering station (Hakko or Weller) and a current limited mains supply, you should not be working on these amps. These subwoofers do not have any user serviceable parts inside. If you open up the sub or attempt any repair you see in this thread, you are doing so at your own risk!!!

The main issue that I see with these is a thermal failure. The parts were placed too close together and since almost everyone is too lazy to switch them off when not using them the capacitors just cook and then things start to burn up.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO UNPLUG OR SWITCH OFF YOUR AMPS. CAPACITORS HAVE A LIFESPAN AND WHEN POWER IS APPLIED THE CLOCK IS TICKING. THE AUTO ON/OFF FUNCTION DOES NOT PREVENT THIS ON MOST MODELS!!!!!!!

• Like 4

R-115SW plate serial number LK162600399

On this amp the power would not stay on. There were some burned components and one of the capacitors almost achieved liftoff. I would guess it went with a bang and at a minimum scarred the hell out of the cat. All of the Ketuo (how do you even say that?) caps were removed and promptly launched into the garbage bin. The resistor achieved meltdown and was replaced with a flameproof safety resistor and spaced as far as possible from the new caps. The fet was also replaced and spaced higher off the board to help with cooling. 

This is a classic case of subwoofer left powered on 24/7. 5W of power at idle is 5W of heat inside a closed chamber with no air movement. Turn your equipment off when not in use or if you MUST be lazy, install a smart outlet that at least powers off when you are sleeping and working. Some silicone to secure the parts and this one is completed.

20191124_150842.jpg

20191124_162631.jpg

20191124_143004.jpg

Edited by ngen33r
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a little off topic.    Would you happen to know the following specs. for the Klipsch R112SW :       The high-pass frequency, and it's slope(12,18, or 24db).                                      The boost frequency, level DB amount, and Q if possible.                                 The reason for asking is that I'm powering my r112sw(2ea.) with a Crown xls 1502. One of the plate amplifiers is burned out( amp is now gone) and the other I just removed so I can run them both off the crown amplifier.  I know it's a long shot, but I thought if anybody on the Klipsch forums might know, it would be you.                        Thanks for your time and help.

On 12/24/2019 at 11:16 AM, Johan said:

Hello,

Same problem with mine.

But so heavy burnt I can't read the value of the resitor.

Can you help me?

Regards.

Johan

The resistor is 820 ohm 3W. It almost always kills the transistor and the surface mount resistors and a couple diodes need to be replaced. The whole board also will need to be recapped after that failure.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2020 at 8:01 PM, Ron DB said:

This is a little off topic.    Would you happen to know the following specs. for the Klipsch R112SW :       The high-pass frequency, and it's slope(12,18, or 24db).                                      The boost frequency, level DB amount, and Q if possible.                                 The reason for asking is that I'm powering my r112sw(2ea.) with a Crown xls 1502. One of the plate amplifiers is burned out( amp is now gone) and the other I just removed so I can run them both off the crown amplifier.  I know it's a long shot, but I thought if anybody on the Klipsch forums might know, it would be you.                        Thanks for your time and help.

That information can only be obtained from a schematic. I will have to have a look if Infinity used this same amp. They almost always have service manuals that can be found.  

21 minutes ago, Greg121 said:

I have a Ksp400 and the subwoofer is making a buzz sound. I need to have it repaired. Same thing happen to my other system and Klipsch repaired it. I don’t think they still do repairs. What’s the best way to get this fixed? 

Many have had good luck with Edwards Electronics over at e-bay.  I'm not affiliated nor have used them personally though.

21 hours ago, Greg121 said:

I have a Ksp400 and the subwoofer is making a buzz sound. I need to have it repaired. Same thing happen to my other system and Klipsch repaired it. I don’t think they still do repairs. What’s the best way to get this fixed? 

This does not at all pertain to this thread and I wish the mods would delete this post. Please send me a PM. It is against forum rules to openly discuss this.

Many have had good luck with Edwards Electronics over at e-bay.  I'm not affiliated nor have used them personally though.

I have also had a lot of success on eBay doing repairs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252834002186

Edited by ngen33r
  • Like 1

• Moderators
On 1/9/2020 at 12:08 PM, ngen33r said:

This does not at all pertain to this thread and I wish the mods would delete this post. Please send me a PM. It is against forum rules to openly discuss this.

I have also had a lot of success on eBay doing repairs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252834002186

I think people have been reccomending people for amplifier repairs and restoration on this forum for years. If you can help the guy with the KSP-400 shoot him a PM.

I don't think it is that big of a deal for someone with KSP-400s to ask for help any chance you can get, take it as a complement that he hopes you can help.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff. I think what you are doing is great, but don't too touchy about it.

P.S. Is Klipsch cool with you calling yourself "Klipsch Repair Service" on eBay? With a copper and black logo? I figure you make it pretty clear in the ebay ad that you are not affiliated with KGI, but they have been know to get a bit upset about stuff like that.

Travis

Moderator in training

On 1/8/2020 at 6:42 AM, ngen33r said:

That information can only be obtained from a schematic. I will have to have a look if Infinity used this same amp. They almost always have service manuals that can be found.  

I talked with  Klipsch tech support today and I tried my best to get the specs, but he told me that he couldn't give me the info so I can set up my DSP-408 set up the same as the factory specs. I guess the info is a trade secret...lol

R-112SW plate serial number LH150400882

Had some time tonight to complete another one of these. Repair and full recap. R39 had a meltdown and dried up a few caps and killed the PWM controller power supply. I gooped it pretty good with silicone to dampen the stress on the solder joints so I can let the hot parts breathe a little.

20200118_005832.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

R-115SW #LK171800360

I can't seem to achieve liftoff. This one was close but it couldn't seem to make it into low woofer orbit. Replaced everything burnt and blown and a full recap and this one is ready to piss off the neighbors again.

20200306_223832.jpg

20200306_223827.jpg

20191222_033719.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am not sure what is burned. I had my R115SW on standby 24/7. There si no visible damages on the circuit. I wonder - what is the power supply making - I can measure approx +62V beetween red and black and -62V beetween black and white+/ and appr 124 with red/white

Is this ok ?

t.jpg.0d06f979510b4eb8f6e601acd07576ab.jpg

Edited by slimtom
typo

fantastic. Thanks a lot.

This is my second R-115W that needs repair. First one was repaired with warranty by Klipsch - now I will do it myself.

Does it happen that also power supply circuit is bad sometimes or is this less likelly ? I had my amp on all the time - was not aware of over-heating problems.