Share this with your better half!

tube fanatic

2 hours ago, babadono said:

Klipsch Ad pg. 144....just sayin'

Thanks for this, @babadono.  For many of us in the SF Bay Area, Joe Minor was a beloved resource.  In his little "hole in the wall" store in Berkeley, and his engineering room next door, we spent many happy hours listening to Klipschorns, JBLs, 1 Bozak, etc.  The Khorns were the best of the bunch.  I believe he was the first Klipsch dealer in the Bay Area, and people would drive long distances to hear his demos.  He loaned us equipment, and helped us design custom rooms, and expounded on myriad topics,  audio and not.  He attracted young engineers who graduated from his store and went on to help develop the field.  One was John Curl (later famed Parasound design engineer).  Another was Don Helmholts, who went on to co-found Pro Audio in Oakland, another wellspring, and who built me a little mixer when I couldn't afford a board.   I'm glad Joe introduced Arthur Fiedler to Klipschorns, as well.

The dealer/educators, in brick and mortar academies, with whom we can hang out, are a vanishing breed.  I had Joe, John, and Don of Berkeley/Oakland, and Jim Ott of Oregon. 

The text of the Klipsch ad discovered by babadono:

ARTHUR FIEDLER INTERNATIONALLY NOTED CONDUCTOR "For my own listening pleasure at home, l like the Klipschorn. It has wide range, clarity and exceptional definition." ABOUT THE MAN -Eminent in music circles as Conductor of Boston POPS Orchestra Boston Esplanade Concerts San Francisco Summer Symphony Concerts R.C.A. Victor Red Seal Recording Artist. HOW IT HAPPENED -While conducting a series of concerts with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra in mid summer, Conductor Arthur Fiedler heard a demonstration of the Klipschorn, with custom engineered audio amplification by engineer Joe Minor of Berkeley Custom Electronics, in Berkeley, California. Impressed, Arthur Fiedler reaffirmed his admiration for the Klispchorn and now, at his home in Boston, enjoys his -own with similarly engineered amplification. KLIPSCH & ASSOCIATES

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/25/2019 at 5:00 PM, garyrc said:

Thanks for this, @babadono.  For many of us in the SF Bay Area, Joe Minor was a beloved resource.  In his little "hole in the wall" store in Berkeley, and his engineering room next door, we spent many happy hours listening to Klipschorns, JBLs, 1 Bozak, etc.  The Khorns were the best of the bunch.  I believe he was the first Klipsch dealer in the Bay Area, and people would drive long distances to hear his demos.  He loaned us equipment, and helped us design custom rooms, and expounded on myriad topics,  audio and not.  He attracted young engineers who graduated from his store and went on to help develop the field.  One was John Curl (later famed Parasound design engineer).  Another was Don Helmholts, who went on to co-found Pro Audio in Oakland, another wellspring, and who built me a little mixer when I couldn't afford a board.   I'm glad Joe introduced Arthur Fiedler to Klipschorns, as well.

Thanks, Gary. In 1991 when I lived in San Diego, I answered an ad for a pair of Khorns. A little old lady on her way to a nursing home was selling her pair of KCWRs. Fortunately for me, her portable CD player connected to an Onkyo receiver had a noisy connection, which the first guy to audition the Khorns perceived as a bad driver. He passed, and I got them. She gave me a package containing a receipt from Berkeley Custom Electronics, dated 2/3/67, signed by JMinor. I appreciate hearing the backstory of the shop where my Khorns were purchased some 53 years ago.

Dave

• Like 2