BAR 48 question

sboyd2530

I’m a bit of a home audio noob, but I currently have a 5.1 setup in my home.  Moving in January to a new house without existing wiring for 5.1, so considering the Bar 48, but curious if I can utilize this setup with my current Yamaha receiver, or if I can/need to forgo the receiver and just hook up the bar directly to the TV.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the BAR 48 (3.1 channels) a few weeks ago. It has several input types. The inputs I've used are the Optical In and the HDMI In. Both worked fine connecting to my LG TV (I had to futz around to get the optical cable fully seated at both ends and set the LG TV to the "internal speakers plus optical out". The HDMI is easy, no problems setting it up). FYI, I bought the Surround 3 speakers to make it 5.1 channels, but the volume on these speakers is a whisper - I'm still waiting to hear back from Klipsch support. If that doesn't work, I'm going to exchange them for a new pair (I bought them on Amazon).

On 12/11/2019 at 3:20 PM, DaleG said:

FYI, I bought the Surround 3 speakers to make it 5.1 channels, but the volume on these speakers is a whisper 

I've had my BAR 48 and Surround 3 speakers for about two weeks now and encountered the same issue. The volume of the surround speakers can be adjusted but that information was missing from the manual included with the sound bar.  Page 7 of Bar-48_Manual_v06.pdf has the details. You can find the BAR 48 Sound Bar + Wireless Subwoofer Manual on the Product Download page.

Increasing the volume on each of the Left and Right surround speakers to maximum did make a difference but the new firmware update helped even more.

NOTES

Version: v83 (S/N: 106655719110001 - 106655719242000)
Released: 12/13/2019
Region: Global

Bar 48 BT v83 - Change Log:

• Improved subwoofer connection
  • Increased Surround Output when Rear Surrounds are present.
  • When volume is set to minimum, sub volume now mutes.
  • Content continues playing after Bluetooth connection is made from device to soundbar.
  • BT switches input when coming from other audio input after BT connection is made from device to soundbar.
  • Sub Volume Increase/Decrease LED indication improved on bar
  • Can power off soundbar when HDMI content playing with button on soundbar or remote.
  • Installer Mode Added
  • External Player Mode Added
  • Various Bug Fixes

Correction: 2019-12-20

I actually installed V23. I must have entered the incorrect serial number when I copied the Change Log for this post.

Version: v23 (S/N: 106655719280001 - 106655719470250)

Bar 48 2.4GHz v23 - Change Log:

• Content continues playing after Bluetooth connection is made from device to soundbar.
  • BT switches input when coming from other audio input after BT connection is made from device to soundbar.
  • Can power off soundbar when HDMI content playing with button on soundbar or remote.
  • Installer Mode Added
  • Various Bug Fixes

Edited by KevinB
  • Like 1

KevinB, thank you for the info. Yesterday I updated the to the new firmware v23 on my BAR 48. Now, I need to wait for the replacement Surround 3 speakers to be shipped to me (I returned them the same day the firmware was released. Argh!).
Addendum:
Interesting to note the version is different for yours and mine. I'm in USA. It all looks the same, but in slightly different order.
Version: v23 (S/N: 106655719280001 - 106655719470250)

Bar 48 2.4GHz v23 - Change Log:

• Installer Mode Added
  • Various Bug Fixes
Edited by DaleG

13 hours ago, DaleG said:

Interesting to note the version is different for yours and mine.

Klipsch has different versions of firmware available for the different ranges of BAR 48 production units (by serial number). You have a newer module with the 2.4GHz wireless signal feature vs the older ones which do not have that. They have changed the modules a few times during production so different software for the hardware is needed to update them ("firmware").

Sometimes the soundbars are defective so no version of firmware will fix them. Other times, it will. In any case, it is important that you load the correct revision for your unit (i.e. V23 or V83).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 5:12 PM, sboyd2530 said:

I’m a bit of a home audio noob, but I currently have a 5.1 setup in my home.  Moving in January to a new house without existing wiring for 5.1, so considering the Bar 48, but curious if I can utilize this setup with my current Yamaha receiver, or if I can/need to forgo the receiver and just hook up the bar directly to the TV.  Thanks!

The BAR 48 supports Dolby Digital via the digital optical input and via an HDMI (ARC) connection. It is also supposed to support Dolby Digital Plus but that is only via the HDMI (ARC) connection.

The BAR 48 and the Surround 3 speakers cannot make use of an external amplifier.

You would most likely want to connect the BAR 48 to your TV's HDMI (ARC) input. You could also connect it to your Yamaha receiver via the digital optical connection which would also allow you to hear 5.1 surround sound from your receiver, assuming your Yamaha receiver was able to provide Dolby Digital output via the digital optical connection. If your receiver doesn't have a digital optical output, you could still connect it to your receiver using the analog connection but that would only give you 2-channel stereo.

• 8 months later...

Sound bar 48 5.1 just purchased;

Issues with 2nd sub woofer added with a direct connection and when sound bar turns on or off - loud pop noise on the 2nd sub.  The sound bar and sub woofer are plugged into the same power strip-FYI.  Have adjusted the gain on the sub with no success, any input would be appreciated.  Also agree on the surround sound speakers - not very loud...  

Also connected sound bar to LG TV via Digital optical cable, not HDMI - FYI 

Just updated new firmware, pop noise went down considerably, surround sound speakers are louder, and have not adjusted them yet - FYI 

Edited by johnmsullivan@mail.com
additional data

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 8:26 AM, johnmsullivan@mail.com said:

Issues with 2nd sub woofer added with a direct connection and when sound bar turns on or off - loud pop noise on the 2nd sub.

Hi John,

It seems I missed the the Klipsch community email notifying me of the update to this thread...

I have not heard of anyone else using a second subwoofer with their BAR 48. As I have advised others, open a ticket with Klipsch. It may take a while before they get back to you.

In the mean time, you may be able to learn something with a little troubleshooting.

• Do you still get the pop if the wireless subwoofer is not powered on?
  • Do you still get the pop if all cables are disconnected from the BAR 48 other than the power cable and the subwoofer cable?
  • Have you tried to power the subwoofer from a separate power bar or electrical outlet?
  • Have you tried a different cable (i.e. different make, wire gauge, shielding, etc.) to connect the subwoofer to the BAR 48?

The more information you can gather about what might be causing this issue the more likely you are that Klipsch tech support may find a solution.

By the way, what are you using for your second subwoofer?

• 4 months later...