Tone Arm Help Needed

Tarheel

Before I send this new Rega/Moth tone arm back to the dealer let me see if anyone here has a fix.  The arm wants to return to the rest when cued on an LP (skipping across the record).  I called the dealer and he said to turn the antiskating lower or to "0".  I did that and fiddled with the counter weight for a long while.  Finally found a setting that worked.  But after a couple of weeks on non play I tried the table again yesterday and we are back to skating again.  Several tries at a combination failed to yield a good outcome.

I should say that I had to tap new holes in the plinth for the arm but the existing opening (hole) was fine.  I do have another table and it also has a Rega arm and it sets up fine. 

So what do you think?  Operator error or faulty arm?

If you balance the arm, what are you setting tracking force to? And then you're matching anti skate force, correct? For example, balance arm, set tracking force to 1.5 grams. Set anti skate to 1.5. What happens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Yes it's a Rega made RB-202 but under a Moth badge.  It has anti skating.  The table is level and there is no stylus force setting.  Once you balance the arm, you turn the counter weight another half turn per 1g or one turns for 2g for correct stylus force.  You then would set the anti skate to match.

I'll mess with it more later and get back to you.  Thanks to all for the help.

Are all three of the tonearm mounting lugs seated flush to the top surface of the plinth? It not, then even if the plinth was level, the arm would not be. 

Representative photos for reference: https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649378847-moth-oem-202-rega-rb202-full-incognito-rewire-kit-needs-repair/images/1641082/

• Thanks 1