Tug of War

BigStewMan

I read that there is going to be another tug of war between the Ford F-150 and the new Tesla Truck. I guess Musk did one and his truck won, but Neil deGrasse Tyson said it wasn’t a fair test due to the Tesla’s heavy batteries giving it more traction and Musk agreed to do another one according to Tyson's parameters of what would be fair. 

Weight, weight distribution and torque are all factors. I learned the hard way with one of the tow trucks that ran out of our shop, it was an Isuzu diesel 4 banger turbo and i had a built 455 in a 73 Delta 88 coupe. Once the back tires start to spin its was all over,even shifting through to second gear in fact i locked up the brakes during and the Isuzu just dragged me across the parking lot like i was not there.

How ford will respond i don't know but its not going to be fair as an electric motor has the advantage in numerous ways.

Its a slice of a metal gable roof with 35" tires and a 1,000 lbs of torque and its very heavy.  Who would have guessed that?     He should have gone big and hooked it up to an F250 with the powerstroke in it.  That would have been a statement.

13 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Musk is a clown, he'll do anything for publicity.

yes , i agree , he'll do anything to keep the spot light/attention  on him.

really , though , not a bad idea  considering  he needs to keep the attention on his developing business as sooo many others are getting into the EV  business 

16 hours ago, Gilbert said:

The media is no better. Musk's clown truck has a SS skin so the media reports it as "bullet proof". Or maybe Musk himself started that. Yes it may be SS skinned but I have some .50 BMG ball ammo that will murder anybody riding in their Tesla "bullet proof" truck. Heck, 9mm ball ammo will most likely penetrate the skin too. 12 gauge 1oz slugs @ close range will do it too, I have no doubt. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gilbert said:

You are only half right.  He spent very little and we are all discussing this.  Lots of free advertising. 

10 minutes ago, polizzio said:

The media is no better. Musk's clown truck has a SS skin so the media reports it as "bullet proof". Or maybe Musk himself started that. Yes it may be SS skinned but I have some .50 BMG ball ammo that will murder anybody riding in their Tesla "bullet proof" truck. Heck, 9mm ball ammo will most likely penetrate the skin too. 12 gauge 1oz slugs @ close range will do it too, I have no doubt. 

They shot it with a 9mm and it bounced off, so technically bulletproof. Sledgehammer also bounced off but the windows did break.

More marketing.  We are talking about it.  Dodge developed the Viper at a huge loss to promote their brand.  I seem to remember an article in Car and Driver discussing a $75M investment and how that much would have covered California, but they received worldwide attention to promote their brand, including several covers of auto mags.

Tesla took $100 deposits and some media stunts and is receiving a huge buzz about this.  Very little spent, huge return in advertising. 

• Like 2