Anybody Heard This Gentleman's Tube Amps?

thelonious

one note I noticed is the power output is only 4wpc not the typical 8wpc of 300B SET amps, probably a typo but something to consider. I've never heard of those transformers the Edcor so can't say how good they are, binding posts pictured are not great either. Hammond makes some excellent transformers though. Looks interesting but the price seems really low for a quality 300b SET. I'd have to listen to it to see if its sacrificed some of the extremes for the price point as we all know output transformers make or break a SET amp.

On 11/28/2019 at 3:22 PM, Glen Newdick said:

I've never heard of those transformers the Edcor so can't say how good they are...

Must not get around much.. Edcor makes some nice, affordable transformers. Nice, massive Hammonds for the PS.

Considering the new WE stereo 300b amp will be around $5k, this could be a nice entry point.

On 11/28/2019 at 2:22 PM, Glen Newdick said:

one note I noticed is the power output is only 4wpc not the typical 8wpc of 300B SET amps, probably a typo but something to consider. I've never heard of those transformers the Edcor so can't say how good they are, binding posts pictured are not great either. Hammond makes some excellent transformers though. Looks interesting but the price seems really low for a quality 300b SET. I'd have to listen to it to see if its sacrificed some of the extremes for the price point as we all know output transformers make or break a SET amp.

If you had real deal Western Electric 300B or 350 triodes and wanted to stretch their life out why not run them lower and not as hard. Not all 300B SET has to be 8wpc its just a popular operating point.