Listening party story

codewritinfool

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Speakers sound the best outside .  Looks like a great time.

Not sure if ALL speakers sound better, bet LSs sure do. 

I have resurrected an old thread about that quite a few times. It is quite the experience.

My jaw dropped the first time I heard them outside, and I had owned them &/or Belles for several years.

Add that sub and I am sure it was wonderful

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I have resurrected an old thread about that quite a few times. It is quite the experience.

My jaw dropped the first time I heard them outside, and I had owned them &/or Belles for several years.

Pretty much all speakers do.   You're getting them away from reflective walls and just hearing sound from the speakers as opposed to hearing the speakers and the reflected sound from the speakers miliseconds later.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Pretty much all speakers do.   You're getting them away from reflective walls and just hearing sound from the speakers as opposed to hearing the speakers and the reflected sound from the speakers miliseconds later.

What about Bose? They rely on reflecting surfaces.

Or dont them count?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MookieStl said:

I had that whole setup inside and though a friend of mine thought it sounded great, I thought it sounded awful.  WAY too harsh.  I suggested that we roll everything outside, we did, and wow did that make a HUGE difference.  Very few if any reflections outside.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

I had that whole setup inside and though a friend of mine thought it sounded great, I thought it sounded awful.  WAY too harsh.  I suggested that we roll everything outside, we did, and wow did that make a HUGE difference.  Very few if any reflections outside.

You can tame that squawker down 1-2 dB with a crossover modification to make them more tolerable.

If its just reflections off the wall or floor a rug or similar material will make a big difference as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rivernuggets said:

How about the THTLP?

A 100W class-D plate amp, Yung SD-100D.  Built it right in.  At first, I was worried that 100W wouldn't be enough but I'm here to tell you that you can hear that thing plain as day all over the parking lot.  It seems to be plenty of power.

Remember, this is kind of a hack system all the way around to keep the budget under control.  As it is, almost every aspect could be improved.  However....  Nobody that has heard it has complained about any part of how it sounds outdoors.

I am going to switch to my Emotiva UPA-2 amp for the next session, though.

• Like 2