1977 Lascalas with AA xover

tom b. 57

I think so.  It is the Klipsch sound I first heard and liked. 

*If* you will change your tweeters (or change the diaphragm) to K-77-Ms or K-77-Fs, you can disconnect the KLiP diodes for home use.  That will eliminate a hashy, rough sound at higher SPLs.  The newer tweeters can handle 10 watts continuous vs 2 watts. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Deang said:

I lied, I haven't "tried them all" - I've never heard the Type AL. I've always wondered if it really sounds as bad as its reputation.

I've had the luxury of owning AL and AB crossovers. You ain't missed much. They didn't really sound "bad" until you replaced them and hear what the speaker was supposed to sound like.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:09 AM, tom b. 57 said:

I do have a pair of Crites 125s in a box around here somewhere that I was going to put into my Cornwalls.

I am contemplating selling the Cornwalls and keeping the Lascalas

I haven't picked up the Lascalas yet. So, I haven't heard them yet.

I had to buy Bob's Autoformer to integrate the CT-125 tweeter into a LaScala. I don't recommend it for that or a Khorn bacause it's not as sensitive as the CT-120 and requires attenuation of at least 2 db in the midrange, which changes the voicing considerably. Doing a CT-120 or DaveA sMAHL with the DE-120 driver is a direct "drop in" replacement with a AA network. BTW, if your LaScalas are 1977, they should have AA networks already, just put in new capacitors and you are good for life.

1 hour ago, tom b. 57 said:

Well, I am listening to the Lascalas right now and they certainly don't go as low as the Cornwalls but they have a more present sound.

Been a long time since I had Lascalas in the room.

The Cornwalls are hanging out at my buddies house.

I think I can live with these.

Add a sub.  You won't regret it.

4 hours ago, tom b. 57 said:

Well, I am listening to the Lascalas right now and they certainly don't go as low as the Cornwalls but they have a more present sound.

Been a long time since I had Lascalas in the room.

The Cornwalls are hanging out at my buddies house.

I think I can live with these.

Everyone has their own preferences and tastes... but I agree, there is no comparrison even though they are related by series. 

On 11/29/2019 at 5:47 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I had to buy Bob's Autoformer to integrate the CT-125 tweeter into a LaScala. I don't recommend it for that or a Khorn bacause it's not as sensitive as the CT-120 and requires attenuation of at least 2 db in the midrange, which changes the voicing considerably. Doing a CT-120 or DaveA sMAHL with the DE-120 driver is a direct "drop in" replacement with a AA network.

While Claude is correct, I would attenuate the mid on LaScalas anyway, While you aren't getting more bass out of the LS by doing so, you are changing the tonal balance and, to my ears tey sound way better.

I had the CT125s on my LS for a long time, and with the mids dropped back, they sounded grea.

Bruce

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Marvel said:

While Claude is correct, I would attenuate the mid on LaScalas anyway, While you aren't getting more bass out of the LS by doing so, you are changing the tonal balance and, to my ears tey sound way better.

I had the CT125s on my LS for a long time, and with the mids dropped back, they sounded grea.

Bruce

Total agreement here. Now all they needed was an Eminence Kappa 15C and the would have made the transformation complete!

On 11/29/2019 at 3:50 PM, Deang said:

I lied, I haven't "tried them all" - I've never heard the Type AL. I've always wondered if it really sounds as bad as its reputation.

Got a set I can send you.  Just pulled them.  They even have the optional steel screw holding down one of the coils.