Tire recommendation for 2019 Forester (completed)

wvu80

Edit 11/29/2019 - I got the Michelin X-Tour as linked to below

+++

I've followed you guys' recommendations the last couple of times, let's keep it going!

Backstory:  We bought a new 2019 Subaru Forester the first week they came out, Oct 2018.  Thirteen months later all four tires are worn on the inside and need replaced.  I had it aligned last week and Tom said the back was actually more out of alignment than the front, but both were out.  I don't remember hitting any big pot holes but after a year 26K miles all four tires are shot!  Grr.

I want to make a Black Friday purchase, probably from Sams Club.  For both sets of four I am looking at I can get $130 to $140 off due to BF discounts.  I get another 1% cashback for using my Sams credit card,   After all the discounts I am around $600 set of four, either brand.  ($140 Black Friday discounts, $635 tax included for all four)

NOTE:  You can NOT use the Scan and Go app w/5% discount for tires.

I am looking for some tires that are quiet and have good grip, probably a touring tire.  I'm not worried about long tire tread life because the full-time four wheel SUV's are not known for long tire life but I'd like to get more than 26K miles the OEM Bridgestones got.

The Goodyears are highly rated but most reviews come from goodyear.com, I'm suspicious of what I'm reading.  This is my first choice because they are an American owned company and are made in Akron, Ohio.  FYI the only other American owned and manufactured tires are Cooper.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/goodyear-assurance-comfortred-touring-p225-60r17-98h/prod1510557?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_5

0040625448429_A?$DT_Zoom$

The Michelin X Tour is made in America which I like.  These are $130 off set of four.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/225-60r17-99h-xt-t-h-80000/prod21370020?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_5

0040980048346_A?$DT_Zoom$

She's gone right now so I can't look....but I think I put Michelin's on my Wife's Forester.  As I recall some of their brochure, the tire, as it wears, has some treads buried (my words) inside the tread so as it wears down, you open up new water channels.

I'm probably butchering it but that was my takeaway of what I read.

16 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I'm not worried about long tire tread life because the full-time four wheel SUV's are not known for long tire life but I'd like to get more than 26K miles the OEM Bridgestones got.

I think the Subaru all wheel drive is magic compared to other vendors SUVs. My 2007 forester seems to have pretty even tire wear, but I don't pay that much attention to how long they last. At 211k in total miles I just think of it as a sports car that has room to carry stuff.

Bruce

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Get the alignment checked as soon as you get new tires.

The Forester had a 4-wheel alignment a week ago.  The guy who did the alignment said it would not need aligned after the new tires, I did ask about that.

+++

This evening I picked up the Michelin X Tour as linked to above.  They were $140 off a set of four from Sams Club.  The Michelin's has a slightly stiffer sidewall than the Goodyear's.  85K warranty on the Goodyear's, 80K on the Michelin's.  We shall see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

80K on the Michelin's

Sorry I didn't comment earlier, before it was too late.... 80K is a fine estimate for rolling down the road.... like a crisp skateboard wheel...

I thought about this tire thread today, but since it started yesterday, my free research is limited to previous tire purchases, which evolved from $15 used tire's on a used car's (one a year bias ply), for about 20 year's (1970 - 1990)  to cheap new tires for another 20 year's (1990 to 2010) classic low cost, black wall radial, to Discount Tire, for the last ten year's, which I believe is America's finest flat fixer, suggested and recommender replacement establishment and supplier of seasonal tire's....

As for your Forrester, I would of picked 4 wheel mud knobbies for high cost 20K winter snow tires with great braking on drizzle covered wet asphalted streets, then take 'em off, and save them for next year' after the finest Summer Grippers come to market in 2020....

17 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

The Forester had a 4-wheel alignment a week ago.  The guy who did the alignment said it would not need aligned after the new tires, I did ask about that.

Do you have the before and after specs?  

I'm funny on alignments.   I always do tires first.  Hopefully your front end guy did a better job than your plumber.  Lol.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, windashine said:

Sorry I didn't comment earlier, before it was too late.... 80K is a fine estimate for rolling down the road.... like a crisp skateboard wheel...

Dang!  I wish I would have known.  😕

I didn't care about the high mileage tire, I wanted something quiet with good handling.

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Do you have the before and after specs?  

I'm funny on alignments.   I always do tires first.  Hopefully your front end guy did a better job than your plumber.  Lol.

I took the car to the alignment place because I wanted recommendations on whether or not to replace the tires, it was not obvious that they needed to be done right away.  I also asked if I should buy tires and then come back but Tom said the alignment was all hardware and tires were irrelevant.  I said fine and he did the alignment.  This guy is considered the best in town, it took a week for me to get an appointment.

I did my research but I'm not an expert on this stuff.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

This guy is considered the best in town

Michelin Defender's are great tires, no doubt,... alignments are worthwhile, replacement bushings are essential, alloy rim's are great if you have the offset ratio's, door sticker recommendations help alleviate speeding tickets - new things need new fixin's...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2019 at 9:11 PM, windashine said:

Michelin Defender's are great tires, no doubt,... alignments are worthwhile, replacement bushings are essential, alloy rim's are great if you have the offset ratio's, door sticker recommendations help alleviate speeding tickets - new things need new fixin's...

Defenders are what I have put on the camry the last 3 times. All around good tires except for deep snow. Its got 280,000 miles so its had a few sets