New Klipschorn finish?

NotThisChris

Hello, 

I recently purchased some 1987 Klipschorns in excellent shape. Upon reading the tag for the klipschorns, I discovered that they don’t quite match up with the heritage speaker codes that are posted within these forums. They read KB-BR H/2 and L/2, for both upper and lower portions of the speaker. The grill cloth and stain is a chocolate color. 

Are these modified or potentially rare? Thanks.

DB210B17-DBB2-4201-8D9E-F2ECB5B6E3E7.png

75585331-ABA5-49DE-AF62-B17021F6E741.jpeg

Edited by NotThisChris
Misspelling

Thank you for your response.

That part makes sense, I figured the wood was still burch. I’m just not sure what the 2 is referring to on the on the label. 

The guy swears they were ordered like that with the paperwork to prove it. He’s a bit older so time will tell but either way I like them. 

Nice but that made my neck hurt.😂

Mine were in simple plain fir ply when new,prior owner put gray formica and red oak veneer on them and added the speaker cloth and emblems.

They were designer series I think is what they were called.

I plan to do a cosmetic upgrade at some point,that gray plastic and oak has to go but they sound great and I got a fantastic deal on them.

zxz.jpeg

3.jpg

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Welcome, and good looking speakers.

Thanks for the welcome and the compliment. I need to order some corners now to compliment these beautiful speakers. :)

53 minutes ago, y2keglide said:

Nice but that made my neck hurt.😂

Mine were in simple plain fir ply when new,prior owner put gray formica and red oak veneer on them and added the speaker cloth and emblems.

They were designer series I think is what they were called.

I plan to do a cosmetic upgrade at some point,that gray plastic and oak has to go but they sound great and I got a fantastic deal on them.

zxz.jpeg

3.jpg

Goodness. Not sure what direction the previous owner was going but I’m glad a deal was had from that. Good luck on removing that stuff. 

3 hours ago, NotThisChris said:

Goodness. Not sure what direction the previous owner was going but I’m glad a deal was had from that. Good luck on removing that stuff. 

He was the second owner and had them for over 30 years,they are 1972 vintage and looked like these when new.

The guy I bought them from said the original owner had covered them in shag carpet. :D

I thought about doing veneer but I'm afraid with all that's been applied before it would end up a mess.

I'm an old cabinetmaker from way back so my plan is to get a realistic woodgrain and textured formica type product and do a new overlay.

I can get the old plastic off no problem and the oak edgebanding as well.

Some of that p-lam looks like real wood unless you look really close and it's very durable.

I gave only $1400 for the pair,one tweeter was bad so I bought two new ones from Crites at about $200 so I'm in them $1600.

fir.jpg1.jpg

fir1.jpg

5 hours ago, y2keglide said:

He was the second owner and had them for over 30 years,they are 1972 vintage and looked like these when new.

The guy I bought them from said the original owner had covered them in shag carpet. :D

I thought about doing veneer but I'm afraid with all that's been applied before it would end up a mess.

I'm an old cabinetmaker from way back so my plan is to get a realistic woodgrain and textured formica type product and do a new overlay.

I can get the old plastic off no problem and the oak edgebanding as well.

Some of that p-lam looks like real wood unless you look really close and it's very durable.

I gave only $1400 for the pair,one tweeter was bad so I bought two new ones from Crites at about $200 so I'm in them $1600.

fir.jpg1.jpg

fir1.jpg

I wish I could have been that lucky. I traded a pair of LaScalas and 1k. I feel it was worth it except the drive took 6 hours one way.

I hope to read about that! If these were a project I would make a post regarding them but the most they will see is the AK-2 crossover removed and the Type A installed instead. 

Edited by NotThisChris
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, NotThisChris said:

I wish I could have been that lucky. I traded a pair of LaScalas and 1k. I feel it was worth it except the drive took 6 hours one way.

I hope to read about that! If these were a project I would make a post regarding them but the most they will see is the AK-2 crossover removed and the Type A installed instead. 

Not to mention these things are not exactly easy to load unload and move around,my drive was 6 hours round trip and it took a lot of effort to get them upstairs to my entertainment room. I did it by myself with a small hand truck,about all I could do by myself.

009.JPG

On 11/29/2019 at 10:14 PM, y2keglide said:

Not to mention these things are not exactly easy to load unload and move around,my drive was 6 hours round trip and it took a lot of effort to get them upstairs to my entertainment room. I did it by myself with a small hand truck,about all I could do by myself.

009.JPG

That is a beautiful setup. Mine is still a work in progress but for the most part is getting finalized. I will post it when I have time. 

I actually did two trips from Phoenix to El Paso. I got the first one into my ‘15 Kia Soul, followed by the second one on the second trip. I’m not intending to actually change speakers in the next 50 years so the drive is worth it. Because they are stained and therefore modified, I’m going to lacquer them shiny in the next few days, followed by the crossover conversion. I need to disassemble the access panel and start bypass work on the crossovers and the excessive gauge wiring that Mr. Crites informs me may be potentially corroding. Maybe inspect the woofer too if I can. When I first started playing then they sounded chubby in the bass department, I’m guessing capacitors are in poor shape? Either way they will be replaced by end of day.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...