New surrounds on passive radiators. Forte I's

Mikerodrig27

8 minutes ago, Mikerodrig27 said:

has anyone replaced them? If so, where'd you source the parts. 

Thanks!

They haven't been available for a long time if you cannot repair your old ones check eBay they usually pop up quite often as they were used in a number of models kg-4, Quartet and some Tangent models I believe 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

They haven't been available for a long time if you cannot repair your old ones check eBay for used they usually pop up quite often as they were used in a number of models kg-4, Quartet and some Tangent models I believe 

I am actually kind of surprised by that since the Forte's are such a popular speaker. Do you know off hand if the passive radiator has a certain name? I know a lot of referred by k-XX

Thanks!

Edited by Mikerodrig27

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

I believe they are the KD-12 but not 100% sure would have to look it up

I googled it. You are right. Seems like your off hand info is excellent. Thanks!

I messaged a couple of online speaker repair part retailers before posting this thread. I will relay any good info they give me in case someone tries to look this up in the future. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I ended up making progress on this. I replaced my surrounds with a new set that I got from The Speaker Exchange. I went back and forth with Geno through email and he suggested a couple of kits. This is what I ordered:

https://reconingspeakers.com/product/12-refoam-kit-for-mcintosh-rfk12-mac/?attribute_pa_quantity=kit-pair2-foams2-caps1-glueshimsinstructions&attribute_pa_dust-cap=dcf4500-felt-dc-4-5-od-dome-lip-up

"Brand New 12″ Polyether Flat Attach Speaker Foam Repair Kit. Works for most 12″ McIntosh woofers."   RFK12 MAC

Outside Diameter: 11.750″ (298.45 mm)

Inside Diameter: 9.0″ (228.60 mm)"

The dimensions were perfect except for the size of the round part. That was a little large. However I think they are a decent replacement. The old ones peeled off very easily. I got the full kit which came with some really good contact cement. 

I sprayed the speaker cone and front of the frame with some black paint to freshen them up. It didn't take much. I thought about whether I should or not and came to the conclusion that the paint doesn't weight enough to make a difference and I've read of people increasing the weight of the passive radiator anyways. After I sprayed the cone and frame, I waited for it to dry then installed the new foam.

I put the foam on the cone first with the glue being slightly still wet so I could manipulate it a little bit. I just kept on manupulating the foam and eventually the foam started to stick in place. Took about 2 minutes. Where the surround attached to the frame, I just went ahead and let the glue dry to the point where it was tacky like you are supposed to. 

20191213_220129.jpg

So, you are/were speaking about the passive radiator s on your forte'1 speakers. Yes, this may just be the answer for some and will guess that there is a 15 inch passive radiator, or even speaker repair kits for both sizes.

Hear Simply Speakers talked about here before. Think they are in Tampa...good job...

1 hour ago, billybob said:

So, you are/were speaking about the passive radiator s on your forte'1 speakers. Yes, this may just be the answer for some and will guess that there is a 15 inch passive radiator, or even speaker repair kits for both sizes.

Hear Simply Speakers talked about here before. Think they are in Tampa...good job...

Yes. The passive radiater. I believe they had known parts for the 15". I had to measure and find something that would work for the 12-inch passive radiator. 

Who knows if it perfect as I have never heard one without holes but my speakers have stronger low end w/ the repaired surrounds.

There was another surround but I believe it was rubber. Maybe it was a closer match but I didn't want to try it. There were more measurements for the rubber one. I will try to remember to post a link.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikerodrig27 said:

Yes. The passive radiater. I believe they had known parts for the 15". I had to measure and find something that would work for the 12-inch passive radiator. 

Who knows if it perfect as I have never heard one without holes but my speakers have stronger low end w/ the repaired surrounds.

There was another surround but I believe it was rubber. Maybe it was a closer match but I didn't want to try it. There were more measurements for the rubber one. I will try to remember to post a link.

Pretty sure you are good to go. 

The rubber one may be good for repair of a speaker but, it would not pass air like the one you got.

Enjoy

• 5 months later...
On 12/14/2019 at 8:26 PM, billybob said:

Pretty sure you are good to go. 

The rubber one may be good for repair of a speaker but, it would not pass air like the one you got.

Enjoy

I was rereading this and realized that you had mentioned Simply Speakers. I got these foams from The Speaker Exchange. One of the employees there guided me through how to measure, looked up the proper foams and sold me a kit. 

Air passing through doesn't seem to be a problem. Passes the test of how long it takes them to return to normal after pressing on the woofer so they are sealed enough. 😁

I have had the new foams on for a while now and they haven't skipped a beat ;)

Edited by Mikerodrig27
  • Thanks 1

Yes you can hold your hand up near it when playing loud enough and feel it on your palm or back of hand and see the hair move. Cannot recall now but think you had to only repair one passive radiator. If so, see how much air is coming from the good one and the one you fixed. Main concern I had was not using speaker material that would not pass wind.

In any case, glad they are holding up, and sounding good to you.

Cheers!