Neutrik (XX) XLR Color Code Ring

mikebse2a3

Started a cable management project to make system wiring easy and to prevent accidental miswiring which is especially important when you have an active multi-amplified loudspeaker system. 

Quick and Easy to add color coding to your Neutrik XX type XLR equipped interconnect cables. Neutrik has 10 color options to choose from. Takes about 5 minutes to change out both ends of an XLR Interconnect Cable.

miketn

3A51A04E-9344-473F-9436-4FAC335D9CA7.thumb.jpeg.604bcbde887f27b57db9684c2aee5093.jpeg

E375E067-CDB4-4F0C-BE8D-49CFD4C7E79E.thumb.jpeg.e3c0866443b40f23d8b60664b2dbcbaf.jpeg

386E46BF-2332-4EED-8386-651EC9152061.thumb.jpeg.94bfcda93c52a3a36f1f1ab44f87f169.jpeg

AD410084-38D3-4F8A-B077-02C0FAAFB0CD.thumb.jpeg.a1bc8dd371c5dab5cc305518b91567bc.jpeg

8B868E32-982D-47ED-96DF-27A259A0A4A2.thumb.jpeg.625674b32de9877d45f79a332c932cc8.jpeg

Active DSP Crossover EV DC-ONE color coding completed.

33F2F65D-56CF-4C0B-8753-85C442F6B88C.thumb.jpeg.1c03f5b91f9333732a154a8af3295043.jpeg

Jensen ISO-MAX and Right Channel Amplifier color coded connections completed.

048232DF-838E-4D39-9F53-2A6E3EF068CA.thumb.jpeg.3e5af9a78605dd86c50556640f0f0336.jpeg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Very nice, Mike. Do you have to disassemble the connectors to install the colored rings?

Bruce

Hey Bruce........ the 3rd picture down shows the outer shell unscrewed from the strain relief and new ring of the desired color installed. I use my thumb nail to remove the old ring and just push the new one in place then reinstall the shell.

9 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Quick and Easy to add color coding to your Neutrik XX type XLR equipped interconnect cables. Neutrik has 10 color options to choose from. Takes about 5 minutes to change out both ends of an XLR Interconnect Cable.

Your Neutrec color coded system is very cool!  I have XLR for my DIY subs w/ Inuke 3000dsp and you're right that it's easy to forget how they are wired.  My options are 600 watts and 1000 watts and the wiring is different.

I take it you use the recommended Posidrive screwdriver?  They are hard to find locally in my small town.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coytee said:

I just got different colored wires (Mogami wire w/Neutrik connectors)

Yea that'd work too.

We have little tubes of metal marking paint at work and I "borrow" a drop or two when I need to mark a cable. But very cool Mike, I know you are meticulous about your set up. i would think little different color velcro cable wraps would work as well.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6457

• Like 1

13 hours ago, babadono said:

Just curious what's the Isomax doing? I know what the product is but did you have a specific problem? And where'd you get the neutrix color rings? Parts Express?

Yes I purchased them from Parts Express.

As you have probably read on the forum in the past of some individuals experiencing obvious Hum, Buzz, and Ground Loop issues especially when some were going with an Active DSP Crossover using Balanced IN/OUT connections with their existing Unbalanced Equipment (Amplifiers, Pre-Amps, etc....) and some of them had contacted me for help which can be challenging when trying to troubleshoot by phone and e-mail. So I have spent a considerable amount of time researching these issues and I have come away with a better understanding of the real world issues of Balanced Systems, Unbalanced Systems, and Mixed Balanced/Unbalanced Systems and why implementing High Quality Transformers like the Jensen Brand can offer obvious and not so obvious benefits.

As far as myself I have not experienced any obvious issues with Hum and Buzz in my system which does use Balanced and Unbalanced Equipment as I had implemented them in my system over many years and one thing I was very careful about was to always use the same AC Circuit for all my equipment to minimize potential Ground Loop Issues. Recently however I wanted to experiment with different locations of my loudspeakers and equipment which means 20'ft Long Interconnects and Amplifiers being relocated next to the loudspeaker using different AC Circuits so I decided to implement the Jensen ISO-MAXX Transformers in the appropriate locations in my system to prevent and/or minimize any induced noise potential might lessen the quality of reproduction I want from my system.

Except for the $$$...cost I see no negatives and some actual real world benefits when using high quality transformers implemented properly like these Jensen Transformers and that includes even in already actively balanced equipment like I currently have.

miketn

To make it easy for some who my be interested in this subject I wanted to add some relevant papers.

Jensen ts_guide ISO-MAXX Troubleshooting Guide.pdfJensen ISO-MAXX PI-2XX_manual.pdfJensen ISO-MAXX PI-2XX_datasheet.pdfJensen ISO-MAXX PC-2XR_user_guide.pdfJensen ISO-MAXX PC-2XR_datasheet.pdfJensen an004 HUM AND BUZZ IN Unbalanced Systems.pdfJensen an003 Interconnection of Balanced and Unbalanced Equipment.pdfJensen an002 Answers To Common Questions About Audio Transformers.pdfJensen (William Whitlock) generic-seminar Ground Loops.pdfAES-Ground-Loops-Rest-of-Story-Whitlock-Fox-Generic-Version.pdf