Internals of the RF7 lll

STSOE

21 hours ago, polizzio said:

Excellent example. The solder makes the actual electrical connection.

This list shows the conductive order of some commonly used metals and alloys, based on equal sizes.

1. Pure silver
  2. Pure copper
  3. Pure gold
  4. Aluminum
  5. Zinc
  6. Nickel
  7. Brass
  8. Bronze
  9. Iron
  10. Platinum
  11. Steel
  12. Lead
  13. Stainless steel

Isn't most soldering materials a mix of a couple of those? The melting point of some of those would fry the board would it not?

Edited by STSOE

Deang. Just out of curiosity. What did you change on the crossovers you used to make for the Rf's? Did you make it from scratch or did you just alter the stock ones? Just better materials or did you alter the crossover frequency?

You haven't made any for the lll have you?

18 minutes ago, STSOE said:

Isn't most soldering materials a mix of a couple of those? The melting point of some of those would fry the board would it not?

Tin/lead is likely most common materials in a blend for electric hand soldering. I posted that list just as an FYI on electrically conductive materials, not really soldering elements. And the first four elements are like splitting hairs on conductivity/resistance values. Most of those elements in that list have very high melting points, which would preclude usage in electric soldering. Silver soldering for example requires a torch and temps > 650 C. Elemental silver has a melting point of 962 C. (1763 F)

Any of those elements physical properties can be quickly found on wikipedia.

16 hours ago, polizzio said:

Tin/lead is likely most common materials in a blend for electric hand soldering. I posted that list just as an FYI on electrically conductive materials, not really soldering elements. And the first four elements are like splitting hairs on conductivity/resistance values. Most of those elements in that list have very high melting points, which would preclude usage in electric soldering. Silver soldering for example requires a torch and temps > 650 C. Elemental silver has a melting point of 962 C. (1763 F)

Any of those elements physical properties can be quickly found on wikipedia.

Reading is one thing. Reading from people with actual experience is another. Thanks for the input though. This thread have been quite useful up until now. I learned a lot none the less. 🙂

23 hours ago, STSOE said:

Deang. Just out of curiosity. What did you change on the crossovers you used to make for the Rf's? Did you make it from scratch or did you just alter the stock ones? Just better materials or did you alter the crossover frequency?

You haven't made any for the lll have you?

High pass caps and resistors get changed, and a mod that adjusts a resistor value in the LCR  (not applicable to the ii and iii). No change to the crossover point, just a dB drop in output at 3.5kHz which reduces ringing from the cones. 

I'm really not interested in doing anymore ii's, and won't touch the iii's. I'm tired of the whining and bitching.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 8:22 PM, Deang said:

High pass caps and resistors get changed, and a mod that adjusts a resistor value in the LCR  (not applicable to the ii and iii). No change to the crossover point, just a dB drop in output at 3.5kHz which reduces ringing from the cones. 

I'm really not interested in doing anymore ii's, and won't touch the iii's. I'm tired of the whining and bitching.

Well. That whining and bitching are just from people who whine and *****. I am however genuinely curious how you would do it? And have you heard the lll?

• Like 1