RW-10 - RW-10D / RW-12 - RW-12D REPAIR BLOG

ngen33r

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Mr. Klipsch amp expert.  I have 2 of these plate amps off of wireless Klipsch subs.  Both work but are not very loud.. They both seem to have the exact same problem.  The power supply is only outputting 15 or so volts but it should be closer to 35 based on what is printed on the board..  I replaced the caps on one before I found this post.   Other than removing all the yellow glue where would you start looking?  Thanks in advance.

02BA80E0-7FE9-4360-8DD4-CE660B3D763D.jpeg

Edited by Thane

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

hi, team,

i got this rw10, power led on, but no sound, only biz-biz sound on drum bit.

i learned yellow glue stuff, need to replace parts.

is this possible ONLY the D11 DB6 broken? (the yellow glue only cover the D11/D12 right pin, and glue already turned black)

try to minimize the rework.

many thanks in advance.

rw10_PDC.jpg

good morning :)

please help me w/ these questions:

• where i can download the BASH schematics of RW-10, i only find RW-12...
  • can I separate out the "PWR-BASH" brd and just connect 110V to L-N (J400/401)?
  • on a good brd, what voltages we can expect?
    • the pins of PRI+/CT+/CT-
      • i got  171DCV on both PRI+ and CT+
    • the pins (GATE1/2, SPLY1/2) of PDC?
      • i got 2.8dcv on gate1/2, nothing on sply1/2
    • the output pins of T400

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently purchase a set of used Klipsch towers and the guy threw in a non workinga Klipsch Sub RW-12.  I took off the power supply amp panel and someone has changed the woofer wires to connect straight to the binding posts, to by pass the amp altogether.  I reconnected the wires to the amp and then noticed there were no wires going to volumne control on the side.  Took off the volume control and it appears to be busted, I think whoever hot wired the woofer to the binding posts, just ripped out the volume wires.  QuestionS: What type of replacement volumne control do I need to buy and where do the volume control wires connect on the amp panel?

• 3 months later...

Hello

I have a klipsch rw10d with no sound or light om the display. I have changed the db6 diac and the mosfet. And now the Powerboard has 08.1 V output. I put the plateamp together. I have changed all the caps om outputboard and inputboard.

Still no light om the displayet or signal on the scoope from the outputboard. 

Any idea off what else can be wrong? Bashboard maybe?

• 1 month later...

I have two (2) RW10-D plate amps that are driving me nuts... without the schematics, I am basically stuck.
For both amps, all caps have been replaced with high-quality ones and not a trace of the yellow glue.

The first one works fine (i.e., responds to all commands and I get sound) but just the display does not light up. Already changed the display, cable, etc., but nothing seems to solve the issue. Measuring the voltages in the flat cable pins I found that these do not match what I measured on other similar amps... it seems that logic/polarity is reversed for most pins.
The second one also works fine but I need to push the volume all the way up - it seems that the gain structure is wrong (e.g., one op-amp may not be working as it should).

I thought it could be the digital volume chip but that is not easy to solder (at least for me) and I want to explore other possible causes for the issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2022 at 8:54 PM, dudaindc said:

I have two (2) RW10-D plate amps that are driving me nuts... without the schematics, I am basically stuck.
For both amps, all caps have been replaced with high-quality ones and not a trace of the yellow glue.

The first one works fine (i.e., responds to all commands and I get sound) but just the display does not light up. Already changed the display, cable, etc., but nothing seems to solve the issue. Measuring the voltages in the flat cable pins I found that these do not match what I measured on other similar amps... it seems that logic/polarity is reversed for most pins.
The second one also works fine but I need to push the volume all the way up - it seems that the gain structure is wrong (e.g., one op-amp may not be working as it should).

I thought it could be the digital volume chip but that is not easy to solder (at least for me) and I want to explore other possible causes for the issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Check the 7805 regulator, U13. I had all the correct voltages. Still no display, just flashes when i turned the sub off. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 6:44 AM, Bullitt302 said:

I’m assuming this is my issue. Haven’t used this in 3/4 years. Just been in my garage collecting dust. Hate seeing this thing not being used. Any help or ideas would be awesome. 

image.jpg

The Brown glue most come off all over the amp. 

You have a pwr board next to two main capacitators? 

This can also be faulty, and mayby two mosfet transistores. Located next to the main transformer.

On the pwr board you have a Black og blue db6 diac. This has been broken on a few amp's that i have worked on, an the mosfet on the primary side.

This pcb board can be tricky to work on if you don't have a good soldersucker. Best to use vacuumtype. The eylets breaks easy and it's two layer board.

20220727_124129.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/29/2019 at 1:17 PM, ngen33r said:

Hello All

I have been repairing Klipsch subwoofer amps for about 15 years as a hobby. I have decided to start blogging my repairs and eventually do videos of each one. This thread is intended to be a blog and a resource for information. I will try to answer repair questions as best I can. Comments and tips are also welcome, If you do not have the experience or the tools, PLEASE do not attempt any of these repairs. You will only end up damaging the board and it will end up costing more for a tech to repair the damage. If you do not have a high quality vacuum desoldering station (Hakko or Weller) and a current limited mains supply, you should not be working on these amps. These subwoofers do not have any user serviceable parts inside. If you open up the sub or attempt any repair you see in this thread, you are doing so at your own risk!!!

Where can I purchase a board and just swap out the bad one with a working one?  RW 10d 120v S/N:RW0DBS+07221566

• 9 months later...