HT Receiver Upgrade, Or is it? (Pioneer vs Marantz)

EdmundGTP

Considering an upgrade to my nearly 7 year old Pioneer Receiver.  I've read numerous accounts and reviews of Marantz stuff and the general consensus is that it seems to hold an edge in detail/clarity/musicality over the likes of some Yamaha and Pioneer models. 

Current model is an SC-1323-K

Considering an SR6013

There's nothing blatantly obvious in the specs for either that would definitively give one the edge over the other, aside from the following:

Amp Architecture:  Pioneer Class D^3 vs Marantz 9 channel discrete

Room Correction: MCACC vs Audissey

DA converters: 24bit vs 32 bit

I don't run video through my receiver, so all 4K passthrough features/specs are moot for me. 

Receiver would power the system in my signature (Full KSP-400/C6/S6 suite with an old monster Elemental Designs sub)

I'm not dis-satisfied with how the Pioneer handles movies currently, and 2-channel music playback is where I'd prefer to get the most improvement (short of going to a dedicated 2 channel music setup, of course). Current house isn't big enough to support that habit, but the next one will be. 

Typically I'm firmly planted in the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" camp, but sometimes there's an itch to try out a new piece of gear, and my system has been pretty much exactly the same for the past 5 years.

Anyway, if any of you guys have some feedback that's relevant to what I'm considering I'd love to hear it. Anyone who's moved from an upper level Pioneer to a Marantz,  your thoughts and opinions would be valued!  Open to alternate suggestions too

Thanks in advance guys!

11 minutes ago, willland said:

Unless you must have the latest and greatest features and are adding more channels, I see no reason to "upgrade" if you are happy with the Pioneer.

Just my take.

Bill

Not a bad take.  Also not planning to add any channels at this point so again, another feature that's moot for my application.  I don't even use all the 7 channels of the current Pioneer. 

• Like 1

I enjoy upgrading and trying new things. I'll offer the opinion the sound of the Marantz is better than your pioneer and that you woudn't regret it. Not familiar with your current speakers but the Marantz model avr always sounds better than competing models on Klipsch speakers. Ymmv with your speakers

2 hours ago, Kalifornian said:

I enjoy upgrading and trying new things. I'll offer the opinion the sound of the Marantz is better than your pioneer and that you woudn't regret it. Not familiar with your current speakers but the Marantz model avr always sounds better than competing models on Klipsch speakers. Ymmv with your speakers

This is also where I'm kind of at with it.  I've always run Pioneer receivers and am curious to try something new.  The cost for a SR6013 receiver isn't a huge money suck, and I could likely recoup a little dough for the old pioneer, or most certainly re-purpose it elsewhere. 

Any thoughts or comments on the Marantz App control via phone?

Go for the Marantz.  The biggest single advantage you'll get is Audyssey XT32, if you have the time and patience to set it up correctly.  My Klipschorns have never sounded so good as they do with Audyssey (the Audyssey Flat option, without dynamic EQ and without dynamic volume).  Having my speakers and room EQ'd over hundreds of points by Audyssey improved the sound greatly.

Here's what I would recommend:

1. Get the Marantz
  2. Install any room treatments (a carpet or area rugs if you don't already have one or the other, plus some absorbers and diffusers or diffusing furniture, art objects, what-have-you).
  3. Run Audyssey XT32, with all 8 microphone positions.  First read this  

"Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"

-- it is an accesable, relatively quick read, in easy to read question and answer format.  Then, at your leisure, read this. GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES
    * The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
    Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
    Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
                                                           It is the be-all and end-all, and a bit more up to date than the first one.
  4. As mentioned in both of those guides, most people will want to turn up the bass 3 to 6 dB (in a few cases even more) after running Audyssey, for the reasons given.  It is so much better to impose your preference with a largely kink free curve (provided by Audyssey) than it is with a typical room curve.
  • Like 1

All great input so far.  Thanks!

GARYRC those links are awesome.

After reading into the Audyssey XT32 option which provides control of 2 subs independently, it appears that might be hugely beneficial to me.   I currently run "2" subs.  One consists of the subs built into my KSP-400's and the other is that Elemental Designs 15.  They live at different spots in the room and trying to manually set up and eq them for optimal performance is a challenge even with REW and a parametric eq, since they are fed of the same output signal of the AVR. 

Any means to simplify/improve that portion of my system would be great!

I'm slowly leaning towards the Marantz..

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, EdmundGTP said:

I'm slowly leaning towards the Marantz..

My advice is that you follow the advice @garyrc laid out, which was very specific and accurate IMO

I upgraded from an Onkyo TX NR717 (2014) to a Marantz SR6011 (2017).  Even though both units claim 125 wpc the Marantz is MUCH stronger.  I also use the Audyssey and I find it is vastly superior to my own guess work.

@garyrc gave you advice on which options to use.  I assure that comes from hours of trial and error with his own system.  The 6013 has a huge amount of options.  There is something that will surely sound good to your ears.  I got my settings from him and they work great.  Marantz sounds good with both music and TV/movies.

• Like 1

I had a receiver for 10 years the Onkyo 805. Great receiver, but I had some issues like quiet center channel and great bass, but never really from the center channel or surrounds. So I delt with this because it worked and didn’t really need an upgrade. Then, I got my new NAD 777 receiver. Now, my issues with the Onkyo are gone. No more quiet center channel and the bass is great from the speakers. More balanced sound. Glad I upgraded, plus I like streaming music via Bluetooth which I couldn’t before. I say go for it, you can always use the other one as a spare or if you get a second set of speakers. Most places have a 30-60 day return so if you don’t notice a difference or like your old one better, just send it back. 

You May want to consider the NAD 758, it’s onsale now 400 off so should be a similar price to the Marantz but you get Dirac live room correction. Like I said mine sounds more balanced and has great center clarity. Look at the reviews.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-crptPwMHuja/p_745T758V3/NAD-T-758-V3.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=293848596690&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=189186774921&awdv=m&awug=9011747&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw4jvBRCJARIsAHYewPN3MeU2X-P7i_yIRhadRwebysaVAL8LBbehlZvWvqWbB27Hne-HtJYaAtDGEALw_wcB

6138D111-E630-434C-8615-CCF5FE4387CF.jpeg

• Like 1

EdmundGTP: Your plan to upgrade sounds exciting. Although, my son and I have been huge fans of Pioneer Elite products for years, I'm sorry to say that our collective experience with their products has really shaken our confidence in them. I happen to own their former flagship model from 2004 and had to have the audio processor board replaced after two years of service. Naturally, the unit was JUST out of warranty, so that cost me $650. Considering that it was a $4,500 receiver, $650 made it worth replacing. However, ever since, there's been a low-frequency buzz in the system. I also had one of Pioneer Elite's top DVD players that utilized Firewire to engage surround sound for listening to SACD's and DVD-A disks. The Firewire section gave up the goods about two years after purchase. "Ugh".

As for my son's experience, he's gone through three Pioneer Elite receivers and had issues with each one. He's switched to Onkyo and has been satisfied. When I decide to upgrade, which won't be much longer, I too am considering Marantz as on of my target brands. I'll be anxious to read your post when/if to decide to make the switch, to hear your take on the differences. I have a Klipsch RF-7, 7.1 system.

• Like 2

SR6013 should be on its way, arriving mid-week, so that's happening!

Also went down the rabbit hole of AVSForum Posts and HomeTheaterGurus videos on Subwoofer setup/calibration/alignment.  This video was like a revelation for setting up multiple subs! Timely that it just came out within the last month, but man.. I wish I could have watched it years ago! The concept of sub EQ I understood but the concept of "alignment" was lost on me until seeing how it applies here. The knowledge here and a MiniDSP would have saved me loads of work.

So as of 2 am this morning, also on the way is a MiniDSP 2X4HD that will take the place of my Behringer EQ. 

It's going to be a fun couple of weeks in my living room

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...