HP-3 Headphones

YK Thom

Has anyone had experience with these headphones? They look fantastic and I have been reading extremely good reviews. I'm quite content with my current home rig but have decided to acquire a nice high end pair of headphones in 2020, something I have never owned. These might be the ticket.

I'm kicking around the choice between the Klipsch HP-3 and the Meze 99 Classics ( which also feature wood ear cups).

• 2 months later...

And I've wondered why there's no no talk about the HP-3's as I've read that they have that Klipsch "Heritage" sound.  Surprised you've had no responses.  I'm certainly interested in them also.

As for your HP-3 or Meze 99 Classics question:

On 11/30/2019 at 12:36 PM, YK Thom said:

I'm kicking around the choice between the Klipsch HP-3 and the Meze 99 Classics ( which also feature wood ear cups).

I'm of the belief that as far as headphones are concerned, no one pair is right for all listening, plan on owning 2 or more different types. 

I own Audeze LCD 2-C's, Meze Noir 99's (the 99 Classic clone from Massdrop), Audeze iSine 10, Sennsheiser 650.

The Meze Noir 99's are a fantastic bargain when on sale for $160 (regular $200).  It is a closed headphone though so the sound is a bit more "closed" in which isn't that noticeable until you listen to something like the Audeze's open planar headphones.  

I haven't heard the the Klipsch HP-3's and don't doubt they'd be nice to have.  Unfortunately their list price has increased to $1,379, even eBay used units are usually around $900 - $1,000.

I'd get a pair of the Meze's from Massdrop, now called "Drop" (because they sound good, can be run off of anything and are relatively cheap) and after listening to them for awhile, see if you want to go further in the personal listening part of our hobby, which is going to mean more $ of course.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 10:26 AM, YK Thom said:

Thanks for the response. I took the first step forward this week by ordering a Dragonfly Red amp/DAC. I'll see how that works with my Monster Inspirations and then I'll source a pair of Meze Noir 99's.

Well, I ordered a pair of Klipsch HP-3's in walnut and will let you know what I think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair in Ebony... they are awesome.   I just got back into using headphones about 18 months ago and have been using a pair of Grado RS2e since.  I was getting tired bringing the phones back and forth between my girl’s place and mine so it was time for another pair... I saw an ad one night and bought them sight unseen.

Knowing they were a collaboration between Klipsch and Fostex I took a chance that they were good.   When I opened the box  it was immediately apparent that these were high quality, and made to a different standard.   

Im not going to go on and on with superlatives but they are quite good.  They sound great on a phone, tab,  receiver jack but plug them into a real amp with a great source and you are in for a treat.  I’m driving them with a Rupert Neve RNHP amp.

Im using a pair of Heresy III driven by a pair of Quicksilver Mid Monos and  am hoping to capture that sound signature with the Quicksilver Headphone Amp that should be here in a week or two.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that Fostex were a collaborator on these. They are beautifully designed. I will now have to keep my eye out for a deal. They are well over $1500 CDN ( and up) in Canada. I have never spent anywhere near this kind of money for a set of cans. With any luck I'll be able to source a walnut pair sometime this year.

• 3 months later...

I just ordered HP 3's in oak from Uncrate Supply for 15% off MSRP. I can't wait to get them! I instructed them to cancel my order if these are returns, open box, or scratch and dent. Keeping my fingers crossed. I hope these are not counterfeit.

Edit: Uncrate assured me that these are new in the wooden box, with the gold seal intact. Whew! 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 10:11 PM, Buddy Shagmore said:

Well, what do you think?

I think they're great for the $700 plus tax I paid for a new unopened pair (even if they were made on Oct 31, 2017).  Prefer them to my Audeze LCD-2 Classic's.  I also have/had Meze 99 Classics,  Sennheiser 6xx, HiFiMan 4xx, some Grado's and these outperform them all and really do have that Heritage sound (as much as a headphone can).  I will say for reference that I prefer a full, fun, you are there sound vs a more even neutral, analytical sound.  They're fairly efficient, have a full bottom end, vocals are clear and highs have never been piercing (maybe not the best word).  Will play well off of my iPhone 6S Plus, but do kick it up a notch (or two) with my Astell&Kern Kann DAP, and also with an ATC HDA-P2 Class A portable amp I just picked up using the line-out from my trusty iPod Classic (thanks to youtuber "No Theme Reviews" for cluing me in to this amp).  

I do wish they were a bit more comfortable.  They earpads don't have that Audeze LCD plushness and the bottom of the headband is a bit hard.  Otherwise, I'm enjoying them.

• Like 1

My light Oak's came in a few days ago, new in the box. No issues with Uncrate Supply.  I don't have a headphone amp (yet), so I plugged them into the stereophones jack on my Marantz 2245. Works great, as expected. I am really enjoying these! There is a big advantage to private listening, if you live with others. I haven't had good headphones since the 70's. With the 2245's 3 band eq, I can adjust and fine tune to taste. Very full spectrum, lots of detail, not lacking in the least. Comfort seems good to me so far. You'll have to 'scuse me now, I need to have another listen...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 10:02 AM, Buddy Shagmore said:

There is a big advantage to private listening, if you live with others.

I have three older kids in the house plus my wife -- and everyone has different tastes in music and movies. My days of blasting my preferences through the house have been finished for some time. I have more IEMs than I ever had speakers. 

• 5 months later...

I have been looking for a new set of headphones for about 3 months.  The design and beauty of the Klipsch HP3s put them at the top of my list.  However reading the personal comments from Rah have been most helpful.  Specs are just not as important as personal impressions.  Now I am waiting and hoping for an after Christmas sale on a pair in the ebony finish.

Edited by DCS
Proper grammer

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, DCS said:

I have been looking for a new set of headphones for about 3 months.  The design and beauty of the Klipsch HP3s put them at the top of my list.  However reading the personal comments from Rah have been most helpful.  Specs are just not as important as personal impressions.  Now I am waiting and hoping for an after Christmas sale on a pair in the ebony finish.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

• 1 year later...

Thread revival. I am so glad I scored my HP-3's before they vanished from the marketplace. I have over the past months upgraded my hi-fi, to higher end Yamaha components, and very recently added a Schiit Lokius 6 band EQ. I don't have a headphone amp (yet), but my A-S2200 integrated has a headphone jack, and this is how I am enjoying my HP-3's. The Lokius is fantastic for dialing in your desired tones. If you love the Heritage sound, these are like K-horns in your head. Very balanced, smooth, deep, lively cans. Over at the HeadFi forum, they love 'em. Too bad Klipsch discontinued them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see a person satisfied with the good product ☺️.

I was watching HP-3s in nearby shop for months, but it was just to expensive for me at the time. Impressive looking set of cans. One of the nicest I have seen in along time. Later the salesman told me they had a funny guy also looking at them for a long time before he finally purchased them. Enjoy your HP-3s, I bet the Yamaha is very good driving those headphones. I tried A-S1200 with Beyerdynamics and it was pretty good.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, salbake said:

That case is sweet! What is it!?

I got the glass cloche on Esty.  I was going to post the link to it for you.  However, when I went to my purchases and clicked it, the item was no longer there.  Here's a snip of the item in my purchase history.

image.png.f654c0b0ee1fd083c8e015b929657f4c.png

• Like 1