5.1 vs 5.1.2

S+J

I know this has pry been asked a million times, but figured I’d ask another time!

Finishing my basement and my home theater space is going to be 19 feet x 11 feet, regular old rectangle room with 8 foot ceilings. I currently have all speaker for a 5.1 setup. My surround speakers are in-ceiling. Will I get a big boost if I add two  more in ceiling speakers to middle of room for 5.1.2?! (Basing off of Dolby Atmos placement guide for a 5.1.2 set-up).

Thanks in advance! 

10 minutes ago, baron167 said:

Why not pull the cable and mount the boxes (or place holders) for maximum atmos setup since your still in construction phase? I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a good call! I’ll do that so I have the flexibility for the future... for some reason I was thinking I had to be all in or out! 

I also wasn’t sure if the room was just too “small” for a 5.1.2 set-up.. if that is possible!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

Definitely aim for 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 if you can... and your room could even accommodate 7.1.4 in my opinion, but I'd probably only add additional surround channels if your bed channels are wall mounted, not ceiling mounted. I hope this helps...

Talking about ceiling mounted... currently I was going to go with my surround speakers to be in-ceiling due to my couch being directly against the back wall... would it be better to go with some in-wall speakers and out on back wall behind couch? 

46 minutes ago, S+J said:

Talking about ceiling mounted... currently I was going to go with my surround speakers to be in-ceiling due to my couch being directly against the back wall... would it be better to go with some in-wall speakers and out on back wall behind couch? 

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with surround speakers being in-ceiling mounted, so wouldn't be the best person to advise you on this. However if you're going with a 5.1.x setup, and your couch is against the wall, then I'd rather add the surround speakers to the side of your listening positions or up to 10 degrees behind your listening position on the side walls. This is what Dolby recommends for 5.1.x setups. But if you already have your surrounds on the side walls, and were referring to adding rear surrounds for a 7.1.x setup, then I'm not sure which would sound better. If it were me, I'd probably stick to rear wall mounted, but use a bi-pole speaker type to disperse the sound a bit, but you'd need to try it to be sure. But you don't need anything in the rear for 5.1.x setup...